Munchie's Mum

New Crested Budgie Pair

I went to the Gippsland Avicultural Society bird sale today. Anyone else go? If you did, I probably walked right past you cause I don't know faces here :P .

Here are my new pair of Crested Budgies. A sky blue cock and albino hen. I've been wanting to breed Cresteds for a while now, but the only ones I could find within driving distance were $100 pair. I got these for $50 the pair.

Before you ask, yes they're in quarantine :P .

Any name suggestions? :P:P

crested4.jpg

mullet2.jpg

crested3.jpg

Very nice crests their. Spike is a good name As CaspersRose suggested. Cannot think of another name sorry.

cute I laughed at the suggestion of Spike and Milligan.

ones that came to my mind: Punk (blue) and Munchkin (white)

Hehe.... cute names suggested so far.

The blue one looks so cool... it kind of reminds me of a circle with a bite taken out of it!

sorry i do not name my birds

How come? I don't name all my birds, only because I run out of interesting names :P. About 25 are named though.

Do Cresteds have any different requirements to normal budgies? Especially when it comes to breeding?

So jealous! I wanted to go so badly.. I had been saving for weeks and then at the last minute my parents rang and reminded me that it was my brothers birthday :hooray:

lol It was a good day anyway though, Lots of four year olds running around..

They are gorgeous! I love the hen!

Really cute :hooray:

names suggestions...........

Fritz

Elvis

JimmieDean

Shuzzbut

Sparky

Gothica ( female )

Duckula

Dracoola

Sootica

Jellica ( female ...hair gel kinda name )

Punkster

Curly

Twiggy

Rooster

Fonzie

Edited by KAZ

They are adorable :hooray:

I believe, however, it is not the best to breed two crested birds together. It is best to put a crested with a crest bred (a bird from a crested parent but not showing a crest) This is because the crested gene can be fatal to chicks. Genetically, crested birds are also very small.

I like Mo (as in Mohawk) for the male

and Fluffy Mug for the hen hehe :hooray:

Edited by **Liv**

I never knew that Liv thats very interesting.

I believe, however, it is not the best to breed two crested birds together. This is because the crested gene can be fatal to chicks.

Oh :hooray:. Why is that? I didn't realise that.

:hooray: Those names are cute. I've already got a tiel named Punk. I like Rooster and Duckula. One of my other males is called Plucka, after Plucka Duck :hooray:.

You can breed them together,but its best to breed them to a normal or crest bred.

To get the size,

Wack them into 2 breeding cages with normals,

& next year,breed the 2 best young birds

back to the opsite crest,& that will be your

start of your crest line. :hooray:

Great looking birds :D is she definatly an albino? eyes look black there too me, but maybe it's the picture :D ?

She also has no iris rings that i can see, which I find odd for a hen with a Cere the colour of hers... How old is she?

P.s. Can i have her :boogie: ?

You can breed them together,but its best to breed them to a normal or crest bred.

To get the size,

Wack them into 2 breeding cages with normals,

& next year,breed the 2 best young birds

back to the opsite crest,& that will be your

start of your crest line. :D

Yeah after I started this thread I read a whole lot about crested genetics. One thing I didn't read though was breeding offspring with their opposite parent :D . Doesn't that result in genetic problems, sick birds with 2 heads kinda thing? Like if a person bred with their own parent. How does it work?

Great looking birds :D is she definatly an albino? eyes look black there too me, but maybe it's the picture :D ?

She also has no iris rings that i can see, which I find odd for a hen with a Cere the colour of hers... How old is she?

P.s. Can i have her :D ?

I thought all pure whites were albino. What is a pure white with black eyes then? I'm pretty sure they are black.

We can swap her if you've got another crested hen with a full crest but bigger :P . lol

I'm going to be getting some more crests and crest-breds so I can have a real good go at breeding them.

:boogie:

Nopes not all pure whites are albinos :boogie:

You can get DF spangles, with black eyes and Iris rings... The harder to get DEC's with pure black eyes no Iris rings.... They can sometimes be confused between the two if the DF is young (before developing Iris rings) Any idea on age?

One thing I didn't read though was breeding offspring with their opposite parent :boogie: .

The idea is to breed cousins. Macka may be suggesting niece to uncle or aunty to nephew also a good pairing. A lot of people get confused about this...because it is ingrained into us that breeding cloce relatives causes genentic faults. Can do if inherant faults are there, but some relationships paired up strengthen a genetic pool as well. It is done with great care and thought and knowledge of the family line usually.

Edited by KAZ

Oh okay, interesting. One was 06 and one 08. I'll have a look now. okay, cock 2006, hen 2008. Breeder told me the cock has previously bred and produced blue spangle cresteds.

The idea is to breed cousins. Macka may be suggesting niece to uncle or aunty to nephew also a good pairing.
Oh right. What factors (besides obvious genetic flaws) come into consideration when choosing who to inbreed with?

I'd take a guess and say she's a DF spangle,

Edited by *libby*

I'd take a guess and say she's a DF spangle,

Me too....because he's a normal blue and to have produced blue spangles he has had to have been paired to her a df spangle in blue series.

Eyes are black, she's 1 year old and is actually fairly tame. So is the cock. They let me pick them up and hold them and they just sit there, no biting at all.

What I meant to say was, he's bred previously but not with her. I'm not sure what his mate looked like. She hasn't bred yet.

Edited by Munchie's Mum

Eyes are black, she's 1 year old and is actually fairly tame. So is the cock. They let me pick them up and hold them and they just sit there, no biting at all.

What I meant to say was, he's bred previously but not with her. I'm not sure what his mate looked like. She hasn't bred yet.

He can only produce spangles if paired to a visual spangle or a DF spangle ( like she is ) :boogie:

Yeps :boogie: All blue spangles if those two are paired :D

Thanks :boogie:. But on that note, do you think it'd be better to split them and pair each with crest-breds, like most people have suggested? The thing is, if I go to buy some, I have to trust whoever is selling me them cause I have no way of knowing if they're crest-bred just by looking.