• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  546
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,465
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/10/1976

DISEASES OF BUDGERIGARS

There are many diseases for budgerigars, the most common are treatable. Often you cannot tell by looking at the bird that they are sick until it is too late.

When buying birds. Always isolate, do not just throw them into your aviary. Each and every aviary has its little 'bugs' and the birds in that aviary are quite comfortable with those bugs. Take them to another aviary and maybe things could go wrong either with your birds or the aviary you have taken them to.

Each of these diseases are preventable. It's up to you which way you want to go.

a) throw them into the aviary and let them sink or swim

B) have them tested for the basic diseases and when the verdict comes back you have at least done your best.

Psittacosis A very nasty disease which can wipe out many birds in a few days.

Treatment Psittavet (Doxycycline) for 45 days. No grit or calcium.

I use Doxycycline from Marshall, stronger and more economical and more cost effective.

Canker (Trichamonasis) A protozoa bug. Easily treatable with Ronivet from Vetafarm (prescription needed) or from R. Marshall you can get Turbosole a much more effective treatment product.

Coccidiosis. Again a bug that can wipe out a lot of birds quickly. Treatment is Baycox or Carlox Use according to the labels.

Coccivet 1 week in four, Baycox/Carlox a S4 drug only from Vets, 3 days per month. Baycox or Carlox is the drug of choice.

Also treat the birds if you have prolonged wet weather. I use Carlox from Marshall.

You can also use Coccivet from Vetafarm, but it is not as effective as Baycox or Carlox.

Worms. If you have concrete floors then you should not have any problem with worms. Worming medication available from Elenbee's trading table.

Megabacteria. A very nasty bacteria which seems to come when the birds are immuno-suppressed. Treatment is with Mega-S. a S4 drug from Vetafarm. Has to be prescribed by a Vet. Using Aviclens in the water, you can help control this bug.

This was the treatment before the use of Mega-S.

Beak-mite. A little mite which invades the tissue around the beak, and also the legs and vent of the bird. Ivermectin ( 1 drop to the back of neck is usually sufficient)

Non drug method. Small amount of cooking oil and paintbrush and paint the affected area.

What I do when I get new birds in.

1. Isolate.

2. Get droppings, wrap in Glad wrap then FOIL

3. Send them to Dr. Rob Marshall.772 Pennant Hills Rd. Carlingford with your name, Phone No. and bankcard no. and ask for Psittacosis test and anything else they can look for. I use a Express pack. I put Psittacoses on the front of the envelope. It doesn't sit around for hours. It is tested immediately upon receipt.

4. Ring within 48hrs for results 98717113 or ring and ask your local avian Vet if he offers this service.

5. If positive to any of the diseases. You have already isolated the birds. All you have to do is treat.

6. Doing it this way, you have not contaminated any of your other birds.

7. When clear, release the birds into the aviary, preferably on a day you are home so you can watch them and make sure that they are not being picked on.