first chicks

Guest dutchman

Guest dutchman

hello everyone, this is my first time on this great site for budgie lovers. we are in holland.i had a pair of cage birds "jock and billy" and last summer i built an outside aviary and they bred very soon after "august". she sat on 2 eggs for about 5 days then stopped. in december she sat on 2 eggs again this time for about 2 weeks then stopped again.so we introduced another male and female,"thomas and judy"not long after jock is back in the nest box. the last chance i had to check she was on 4 eggs but both boys are feeding her so am not sure who is daddy.so anyway by my reckoning the first egg was due to hatch saturday but could not catch her out the box to check but today i heard chirping, so we are all excited but i dont want to disturb her and she abandons the box again.fingers crossed

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Imotive

Why legs anyways...I am not 100% sure, but the females rarely abandon the babies becasue well they know something is living if you catch her out check!

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

Most of the time budgies will breed better with another pair they can see and/or hear. Congratulations on the small peeping noises!

Guest dutchman
Most of the time budgies will breed better with another pair they can see and/or  hear.  Congratulations on the small peeping noises!

thank you. i think they must be 3 now. will have a peek at the weekend

Guest dutchman
Most of the time budgies will breed better with another pair they can see and/or  hear.  Congratulations on the small peeping noises!

finnaly caught jock out the box. grabbed my camara, not sure but i think it is 3 chicks and 2 eggs. at least i knoww she is feeding them

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

You will either need to type in the whole address, or copy and paste from the "img" or "url" box on your photobucket account. I'm sure you'll get it - try again. If not, e-mail the picture to me and I will post it for you.

Guest dutchman

tried again to post some photos but no joy.i have managed to look in every day now, there was 4 chicks but the smallest looked dead. there is now 3 healthy looking chicks so i take it that mother ate it. i will wait till saturday, when the youngest is 10days old and give the nest box a quick cleanout.

• Member ID:  70
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

mothers dont eat dead chicks you need to take it out now or you could contaminate the other chicks and they will die

Guest dutchman

well you got me worried so i took out the nest box.There were 3 chicks no dead one or egg shells only droppings. I dont know then but there were 4 chicks on the last round of photos. I wish i could get that photo bucket to work!

did you check the floor of the cage in case the mother pulled the chick out by accident

Guest dutchman

i did not see anything on the floor.apart from jock and billy there are another two males and three hens in my aviary, maybe they had a hand. also a hen laid an egg on the floor 2 days ago "not below the nest box". There are 6 extra boxes but they all seem to be fighting over a certain one. strange. perhaps i should transfer this on to the forum.

are all your boxs the same height

Guest dutchman

tried again, no joy. this is my email if someone who knows how to post photos could they kindley send me your adress and i will send some phtos to post.steve99hilversum@yahoo.com

Guest hommer2054

:angry:

I recommend you remove any females that are not active and put them in a separate cage.

I prefer to breed mine in separate cages with the breeding box attached or inside the cage.

This way there is no fighting hens will always fight over nesting boxes it?s a normal thing they do

By breeding those on there own you end up with better babies and a less stressful owner.

I started off like you with just one cage and I was always removing dead chicks and birds because of hens fighting over nesting boxes

One bird even went in to another birds nest box and killed all the chicks

That?s when I decided to get separate breeding boxes and now I have five pairs breeding with twenty two babies so I must be doing something right.

Also never leave dead chicks in the box as they can cause diseases and contaminate the other birds

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

okay so that didn't work with the picture ;)

If your using Photbucket you should once uploading the picture have something that looks like this:

screen.jpg

you want to copy the bottom html (the bit titled img) then paste it in your post and it should work fine.