Help!

Guest kyliepops

Guest kyliepops

:fear

Hi all

I'm new here. We got our budgie, Kylie, about 4 weeks ago. She is blue (hence the blue budgie) with a yellow head and white wings. She is pale and doesn't have much markings. Oh - she is a he but I still call her she because its a habit.

Anyway, normally she loves her cage, her toys, her food etc. However, when she does come out for a fly she won't go back in herself. Not helped by the fact my husband feels sorry for her and feeds her wherever she happens to be sitting! He was told not to last time and when I was out he fed her because he 'felt sorry for her' Its not that she can't find the cage as she has landed on it before now.

I have started to take her on top of her cage to eat if she is out, so she knows where to find the cage and associate her food with her cage. Is this the right idea? Eventually when she is happy feeding on her cage I can work on getting her into her cage. I have a few times put her in her cage and left the door open so she knows she won't get locked in if she goes in.

Unfortunately I am working on hand taming her which makes it more difficult.

Any advice gratefully welcomed

tracey

Guest Imotive

I am not sure if this is to be used as an emergency or not but i suggest if she really won't go in and u see her getting bored and she is looking for food. You can put a soft not heavy blanket on her and carry her into the cage. If you think it is too harsh...well im not sure if it is too harsh maybe some1 else will answer this post...

A member,

Steven!

Food really is the best way to tempt them back into their cage-specially millet-you can save it for just that purpose.

Also start to reduce the light so he thinks it's roosting time.

Sometimes with mine I have to remove all their regular perches if they are being awkard so that the only familiar one is the landing stage.(I appreciate that's no good if yours perches on the doors!)

Hubby shouldn't feed him where he lands though.

Try offering a stick etc. for him to sit on and you might be able to slowly move that to the waiting millet.

Hope that helps.

Julie

Guest monsoon
You can put a soft not heavy blanket on her and carry her into the cage.

for those awkward & naughty times i have a thin peice of black voile (see-through, smooth fabric) i don't use it all the time, my birds 'normally' go in there cage when i put then in.

Claire

xXx

Guest Lil'Devil

Mine used to to that (not going in to his cage i mean) i waited for hours waiting to see if he would get hungry until i felt so bad i fed him.ONe day i had to leave so i left my mom to take care of him and of course she won't feed him because, yes this is true, she's scared of him....so i guess that he ended up noticing that no one was going to feed him and decided to get back to his cage on his own, since that day he goes in whenever he's hungry or thirsty and comes out when he's done(i rarely close his cage door) so we're both happy :fear

Guest kyliepops
Mine used to to that (not going in to his cage i mean) i waited for hours waiting to see if he would get hungry until i felt so bad i fed him.ONe day i had to leave  so i left my mom to take care of him and of course she won't feed him because, yes this is true, she's scared of him....so i guess that he ended up noticing that no one was going to feed him and decided to get back to his cage on his own, since that day he goes in whenever he's hungry or thirsty and comes out when he's done(i rarely close his cage door) so we're both happy :fear

Hi

I think I am going to have to do that!

We are at work during the day and I would like it if she could come and go from the cage as she wanted during the day. At the moment we keep the cage closed when we go out because I would hate to think she was going to starve! Maybe I am being too fussy and should just let her out and see what happens!

We leave the radio on for her (she has her own radio ? spoiled thing) and is fairly into dancing about her perch when a song comes on she likes ? bless! When she is out she usually settles on the curtain rail. We put a swing up last week, which she loves sitting on and twittering to us from.

I'll let you know how we get on

thanks

tracey

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

If you decide to leave the cage door open, make sure the room she is in is THOROUGHLY bird-proofed. Realistically, unless there is nothing else in the room that is not possible, but do the best you can. Birds will chew electrical cords, strangle in the loops in your blinds, chew plants, candles, anything they can get their beaks on really, and so many more dangers than I can list here...please give this one a lot of thought, as it only takes once when you are not home to not be able to extricate your bird from an unsafe situation... Know your bird inside and out, and know what she has a tendency to do and where she would go in your house with unlimited access rights...before you leave her out unsupervised. I'm not sure she's been with you long enough for you to know all that. You might want to wait.

Guest pixie25

i agree with rainbow, my bird has gotten stuck down the back of the tv and down the side of my wardrobe before and that was WITH supervision. my birds are only ever allowed out when i am there watching what they are upto! if i wasnt there to get him out he could have been injured trying to free himself.

even if i had had my bird for years and years i still wouldnt be comfortable letting them have the run of the place when i wasnt there.