epileptic fits and strokes

Guest paul762

Guest paul762

hi , I have recently lost my 6 year old budgie pip, she seemed to be suffering from what I can only describe as fits/seizures, she suffered with these for about 5 years as I probably didnt notice the first signs, anyway I nursed her as best I could through them even if it meant up in the early hours.

the last fit she had was on 23rd july, she fell off her perch so I held her after her fit, and then put her back on the perch, however I noticed that she had some sort of prolapse with blood, could she have landed on her belly and caused this or would it have been the stress of the fit, anyway about 30 seconds after I put her on the perch she started leaning right over to the side without the usual noise when she was having a fit, after this I placed her on the floor and she was just walking around in circles and then she stopped and her head kept going up and down to one side with a little squeek everytime, this was about 12 midnight and I felt awful because I couldnt get to the vet until 8am the next morning, so I stayed with her all night but she just couldnt stop moving her head, there was no response from her at all she wasnt attempting to bite me but it was like she was trying to hang on when I put my finger under her claw, I took her to the vets the next morning and he just shook his head, and we had to have her put to sleep, surely there was something I could have done for her, did she really have to be put to sleep? could she have had a stroke after the first fit?

I just cant stop asking myself these questions even after this time.

I now have her in a plant pot with coloured stones on top with a photo, but im still absolutely devastated because it was so sudden. I was feeding her kaytee forti diet and she also had bottled mineral water changed 3 times daily.

Im just still in total shock.

thanks for listening, any advice would be very much appreciated.

paul.

Hello Paul and welcome. I'm sorry to read about Pip, it's so easy to feel bad after losing a human or an animal and I know it's just a natural way of being,there are always 'what ifs' and 'if onlys'. Sometimes what's meant to be is meant to be and you seem to have given her everything you could.Have you any more budgies?You'll find lots of nice people here on the website who feel just as sad hearing your news as you will be feeling right now. An awful lot have gone through the same thing.Take Care and keep logging on, Julie

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

fits and seizures arnt uncommen i have a bird in one of my flights at the moment which suffers fits and there is nothing you can do

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Paul, please dont beat yourself up. You did all you could, and more than an awful lot of people would have done. You stayed by her all through the night, stayed with her through her final journey. You said the vet just shook her head. As a qualified animal doctor, she knew nothing could be done for pip, and by letting her go you gave your little bird a great gift. I have nothing but admiration for you, what a lucky little bird she was to have you.

Blessings to you both,

Anne