how to get budgie to eat other than seeds

Guest Tideas

Guest Tideas

I just got my budgie like 4 days ago, and like, all it eats is seeds.

When I tried mixing pelets with seeds, it selectively go through the food to pick up only the seed and leave pellets alone.

How do I try and get it to try new food? I tried putting grapes up to its beak but not eating.

Any suggestion as to how I can get birdie to eat new food?

I know we're supposed to feed it all sorts of other stuff than pellets, but how are we supposed to introduced it first?

Or shoudl I give more time for the bird to bond to me?

Guest pixie25

you have only had your budgie 4 days! (Laughing out loud) slow down a bit. i think you have introduced the pellets too soon. for the first week or so the budgie is still becoming familiar with its surroundings, let alone trying completely new foods.

my budgies didnt even make a sound for the first week i had them, just take your time and get to know eachother before taking on your next challenge :)

i would suggest that once your budgie is comfortable in its surroundings (cheeping and singing) then you start to introduce veggies. only when yur budgie is confidently eating a few different types of veggies then try a pellet conversion following the specific instruction methods that came with the pellets.

have fun :)

Guest Tideas
you have only had your budgie 4 days! (Laughing out loud) slow down a bit. i think you have introduced the pellets too soon. for the first week or so the budgie is still becoming familiar with its surroundings, let alone trying completely new foods.

my budgies didnt even make a sound for the first week i had them, just take your time and get to know eachother before taking on your next challenge :blink:

i would suggest that once your budgie is comfortable in its surroundings (cheeping and singing) then you start to introduce veggies. only when yur budgie is confidently eating a few different types of veggies then try a pellet conversion following the specific instruction methods that came with the pellets.

have fun :)

What kind of vegies should I pick? My budgie doesn't seem ot be comfortable eating else other than its favorite seed from the seed mix

• Member ID:  875
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

Carrots and their top leafy bits too all my birds LOVE them and tried them as soon as I put then in the cage. Hang the leafy bits up like you would a millet spray - they especially like them when Ive sprayed them with water.

GIve them a go!

Guest Tideas
Carrots and their top leafy bits too all my birds LOVE them and tried them as soon as I put then in the cage. Hang the leafy bits up like you would a millet spray - they especially like them when Ive sprayed them with water.

GIve them a go!

I tried hanging a lettuc leaf over the cage, and i got a small nibble last night, but today seems nothing.

I can't even get it ot bite a carrot.

Should I play the starve-then-eat card? Like, I won't feed it its favorite seeds, so it'll have to start learning to eat other food? lik the pellets i put in there as well as the veg and fruits?

Or should I not do that cuz the budgie would rather starve itself than eat something it doesn't know about?

Budgeis are stubborn little creatures - mine can take weeks to even try a new food. Just keep putting a small amount in each day. You can pretend to eat it in front of them, and then pop it in. They will eventually eat it!

Do they like to bath? Put some in the bottom of their bath water, they might nibble it like that.