~ Charly ~

Disgusting

I am posting this to show people what a pet shop will do to bring money in with as little work as possible.

Well, a pet shop over in WA, Australia, that I visited was owned by an old couple. It was a small shop, but they were still able to cram a lot of unfortunate animals into it. There were tanks of mice, I caught the mice crowding around their water bottle - about seven of them - desperately licking at the tip where the water is SUPPOSED to come from. I look in the water bottle ... No water. I notify the pet shop owner and he says "Oh, i didn't notice, oh," or something of the sort.

The budgies and cockatiels are in reasonably large avairies, I admit, but the condition - filthy. Some cockatiels had missing feathers, but that meant nothing to the owners of the pet shops.

The budgies were living in pretty much the same conditions as the cockatiels. I saw some young birds sitting on the bottom, they couldn't even fly yet, so they were left to sit on the floor. Again, the owners couldn't care less.

The quails on the bottom of the cage had HORRIBLE living conditions, their water was almost black. I saw some quails picking at a small budgie that sat on the floor, and I wondered why it didn't move. I began thinking that maybe I should buy the young bird, so it wouldn't have to go through this and die a painful death. I talked to the lady and she said he is a bit unbalanced and disabled, and she sold it to me, FREE, just to get it out of the shop, so no one would report her. And this is how i ended up with a mentally-disbled budgie. I loved him though, even if i got him from the worst place ever, but sadly he died about a month after we took him home. :(

I know this has probably already been posted, but I wanted to share what I have seen. And I would like everyone who can, to avoid buying any pet from the pet shop.

that is soooo slack of them :( (cry)

You forgot to mention the name of the place

You forgot to mention the name of the place

Good....we dont name on here or we would end up sued :(

I don't believe they are all like that, I find the shops around here are very good, they do not over crowd their cages at all and one shop in particular mainly sells show culls.

They actually care for the birds welfare, they no the difference between a sick bird etc and will not take a bird that can not fly etc.

There are some good places over here in WA but that sounds pretty bad, is there anyway of letting us know the name or kaz will we be sued. just want to know as i do live in WA

Name behind scenes in pm messages not on the forum

I think I answered you other post Charly, If anyone who breeds birds, or has any knowledge of them, walked into a shop like that, they would just walk away. Personally if I saw animals being kept like that I would report it to e.g r.s.p.c.a or relevent authorities so they can take action. :unsure: No animal or bird should be breed / sold just for the love of money, not the animal /bird. :angry:

I think I answered you other post Charly, If anyone who breeds birds, or has any knowledge of them, walked into a shop like that, they would just walk away. Personally if I saw animals being kept like that I would report it to e.g r.s.p.c.a or relevent authorities so they can take action. :unsure: No animal or bird should be breed / sold just for the love of money, not the animal /bird. :angry:

Don't worry, if I ever come across anything even close to that I am reporting them to the R.S.P.C.A. I wish I could remember that pet shops name, because then I would try report them. Then again, I am on the other side of Australia now, in QLD. :(