• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,590
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

It is obvious to me the exhibition bird in Australia is rapidly changing to a dramatic extent.

The better show birds exhibit amazing directional feather both on top of their heads and in front of their eyes.

here are a few of my thoughts.

1. These birds do not cope in an avairy, they cannot see well enough because of the feather in front of their eyes.

2. These birds hate any form of drought. What we would call good ventilation, air passing through the avairy, they hate.

3. They require much more supplimentary feeding, to feed the feather.

4. Breeders around the world are now housing these birds in stock cages, not avairies.

As we all try to be competetive on the show bench, we are all trying to produce this "modern" faced budgie, I believe we might all have to reconsider how we care for them. Personallly I'm about to renovate my bird room. It will be fully insulated walls and ceiling, only one small 3.5m X 1.5m avairy and a range of holding cages.

My better birds will go from holding cage to breeding cage, then back to holding cage.

Just my thoughts but maybe food for thought for some of you. Cheers Clearwing

• Member ID:  3,733
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  1,820
  • Birthday:  16/01/1972

In my experience

1. These birds are doing well in large aviaries. (well the ones that I visit anyway)

2. If your aviary is built well enough then the birds should be able to get away from the draft.

3. Supplemental feeding should be a part of normal diet.

4. You cannot compare what we do in Australia to the rest of the world. Especially in the northern hemisphere breeders have internal flights that must be heated due to the much colder climate. This can also vary from state to state even in our own country.

But I have heard that some of the better overseas breeders have birds that cannot fly properly for the very reasons you outline.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Recently viewed the Freakley Ainsley stud dvd at a club meeting .....a comment was passed that none of the birds that were so well feathered including over eyes and face could not fly. Concensus of opinion was.......who cares as long as the bird looks that great :unsure:

Doing you tube searches for Jac Cuyten birds and also Daniel lutolfs and the freakley birds etc you will see a whole lot of ladders to enable them to get onto perches ( not fly ) and you will also note that a lot of them seem to breathe heavy.

Food for thought.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.93
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

Recently viewed the Freakley Ainsley stud dvd at a club meeting .....a comment was passed that none of the birds that were so well feathered including over eyes and face could not fly. Concensus of opinion was.......who cares as long as the bird looks that great :unsure:

Doing you tube searches for Jac Cuyten birds and also Daniel lutolfs and the freakley birds etc you will see a whole lot of ladders to enable them to get onto perches ( not fly ) and you will also note that a lot of them seem to breathe heavy.

Food for thought.

well my thoughts are

clearwing is right in one sence but as far as flight goes they definitely need to fly so im not sure about the holding cages unless you had them in one pair per one cage

but i still think they need to be able to fly freely my birds love to fly spastic around the aviary and its sad seeing them all in holding cages at moment even though its for them now best

as for birds with massive feather and size i truly belive some breeders are going to far

were breeding budgies not monsters

kaz im with you on the thoughts of these big breeders with heavy breathing birds that look more like pugs than budgies

yes i aim to breed nice exhibition sized birds with nice feather over head and direction across the face but not to point where birds actually unable to be a bird and not fly

some breeders succeed in the quality and size with out it effecting these birds normal function i hope to be one toughs breeders

i think birds need to stay warm as clear wing said but also i do belive they need to fly

but they do seem happy in holding cages so// ???

but for now im sticking to trying to regulate a aviry with good temp so they can freely fly

food and nutrition is big part of it all

and i know quiet a few breeders specially my way who use heating

mabe why im having problems as i dont

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

To be honest I think we've gone way overboard on the feathering. Because of the huge emphasis on size and feathering at the expense of all else (mainly colour and markings) birds of all sorts of mutations are paired together because of their size or other desirable features. It is small wonder we now have dull coloured opalines (cinnamon crossover effect), multiple varieties with opalescence including normals with opaline markings, head flecking up the doodah and all that too name but a few.

Well hoorah guys, we have monstrously feathered obese birds that dont hold a candle to their earlier counterparts colourwise. Now where?

In my opinion we need to take a step back.

• Member ID:  5,830

Glad to hear your opinions guys, I tend to agree we have gone too far with feather. But only we breeders can change that, whilst we allow our state and national bodies to continue down this path, with reguard to the ideal standard and not take into consideration things like variety, colour and deportment, we will be stuck trying to produce this bird. the current winning exhibition bird is not a swift flying parrot as the name Budgerigar implies but is a domesticated hybrid version. You choose, I can only say this is my 50th breeding season and I miss seeing lovely variety birds flying in outside flights, but I'm also very competetive and I want to have a good show team.

I know many many breeders who have bred that outstanding bird only to have it die when they put it in the flights.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

It's a no win thing anyway because if you choose not to breed the feather, you won't win on the bench.

My birds all fly in the aviary.... so far anyway. Even my best birds are in the open outside avairy.

I really don't wish to breed birds with such feather that they can't see and fly. BUT I am competitive also so I guess I have to go with the flow untill someone changes it.

BUT I do think they should work on variety, like opalines etc and markings etc, rather than build the feather anymore.

Glad to hear your opinions guys, I tend to agree we have gone too far with feather. But only we breeders can change that, whilst we allow our state and national bodies to continue down this path, with reguard to the ideal standard and not take into consideration things like variety, colour and deportment, we will be stuck trying to produce this bird. the current winning exhibition bird is not a swift flying parrot as the name Budgerigar implies but is a domesticated hybrid version. You choose, I can only say this is my 50th breeding season and I miss seeing lovely variety birds flying in outside flights, but I'm also very competetive and I want to have a good show team.

I know many many breeders who have bred that outstanding bird only to have it die when they put it in the flights.

see i would not enjoy breeding birds that are not of standed

i dont care if i never win on the bentch my birds will have clear opalining and nice lacing on my spangles

my albino will be clear and free from suffusion and my normals wont have opacancy comming through

im in this to breed out standing type and nice sized bird with ballance and good deportment ship good frontal height and direction

some will be lean and tall with chest and blow others broad and standing proud

i aim to bring back quality with out takeing from what people have worked toward achieving but with improving the variates in which i breed

i want my good birdsto be fit and vertil and to be a bird :unsure:

• 1 month later...

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Obviously the majority of people over time preferred the LOOK of heavily feathered budgies. ***** (bet that's autocensored out - coloquial name for a cat that is!) faces, eagle faces, directional feather , whatever you call it has been a much sought after feature.

It's happened in all sorts of other domestic animals - Pugs whose eyes pop out due to their faces being so pushed in, French Bulldogs who can't breath and can't regulate their body temps properly due to defects in soft palate and shortness of face not to mention the UNSEEN issues such as reduced immunity etc etc etc.

Any parrallel that I've ever seen is that IF IT WINS people will breed for it, no matter what seen or unseen problems might go along with it. So if we don't like all the feather then pushing for change to the way birds are judged will probably be the only way significant change will be made.

Obviously the majority of people over time preferred the LOOK of heavily feathered budgies. ***** (bet that's autocensored out - coloquial name for a cat that is!) faces, eagle faces, directional feather , whatever you call it has been a much sought after feature.

It's happened in all sorts of other domestic animals - Pugs whose eyes pop out due to their faces being so pushed in, French Bulldogs who can't breath and can't regulate their body temps properly due to defects in soft palate and shortness of face not to mention the UNSEEN issues such as reduced immunity etc etc etc.

Any parrallel that I've ever seen is that IF IT WINS people will breed for it, no matter what seen or unseen problems might go along with it. So if we don't like all the feather then pushing for change to the way birds are judged will probably be the only way significant change will be made.

thats why im breeding what i like win or not my budgies will be just that budgies not start to look like chewbaka the wokky off starwars :D

at least i will like it and if i,m lucky in time the style will change back

hay don bourke thinks it will so i may have a small hope of winning lol pmsl

• Member ID:  5,830

As an exhibitor I like the feline face on the birds and strive to breed them, my point is they are different and must be treated differently. I agree though that the only way it will ever change is if we change the standard and the way the birds are judged. I believe there can be a balance, if we put more effort into breeding birds true to variety. I think it will be possible to have a well balanced bird with the ideal markings, its the markings that have been neglected in favor of feather. cheers clearwing

As an exhibitor I like the feline face on the birds and strive to breed them, my point is they are different and must be treated differently. I agree though that the only way it will ever change is if we change the standard and the way the birds are judged. I believe there can be a balance, if we put more effort into breeding birds true to variety. I think it will be possible to have a well balanced bird with the ideal markings, its the markings that have been neglected in favor of feather. cheers clearwing

i totally agree with you clearwing we need to work on bringing back variarty and feather can just balance that latter

their is many nice birds that miss out just as the feather is not as buff or the direction is slightly lacking

it really gets my goat when a crappy marked bird wins over one who you can see has been breed well not just a fluke because its feather type if that makes sense :D

• 10 months later...

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  675

Interesting reading, my thoughts(not that it matters to anyone) but a bird must still be a bird, it must be a functional bird

by functional I mean it must be able to do things it would do in the wild.. eg fly, breed, get along with others etc etc

If birds can not fly properly, or need AI'ing to actually breed then I can only see that as a bad thing.. same thing has happed with dog breeds and I know chooks are another one, some breeds are bred for short legs(indian game for eg) so short now that they can no longer naturally breed!!

i totally agree with you clearwing we need to work on bringing back variarty and feather can just balance that latter

their is many nice birds that miss out just as the feather is not as buff or the direction is slightly lacking

it really gets my goat when a crappy marked bird wins over one who you can see has been breed well not just a fluke because its feather type if that makes sense :D

it is funny to look back at this as although i still believe what i state here i had a big ugly albino blue in all in a show she won best op sex i was happy i won something but not happy she was the bird that won

and i believe that she should not of won although she was huge with fantastic feather she was the ugliest albino i have ever breed or seen :(

i say bring back the variety points then size then feather

not feather size in then variety

• Member ID:  5,835
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,075

It is obvious to me the exhibition bird in Australia is rapidly changing to a dramatic extent.

The better show birds exhibit amazing directional feather both on top of their heads and in front of their eyes.

here are a few of my thoughts.

1. These birds do not cope in an avairy, they cannot see well enough because of the feather in front of their eyes.

2. These birds hate any form of drought. What we would call good ventilation, air passing through the avairy, they hate.

3. They require much more supplimentary feeding, to feed the feather.

4. Breeders around the world are now housing these birds in stock cages, not avairies.

As we all try to be competetive on the show bench, we are all trying to produce this "modern" faced budgie, I believe we might all have to reconsider how we care for them. Personallly I'm about to renovate my bird room. It will be fully insulated walls and ceiling, only one small 3.5m X 1.5m avairy and a range of holding cages.

My better birds will go from holding cage to breeding cage, then back to holding cage.

Just my thoughts but maybe food for thought for some of you. Cheers Clearwing

Well Clearwing you do know how to get the forum working!!

All my birds still fly in avairys

My avairy faces south

They get seed, water, vegies, grit, Oats to breeders.

If you make the cages smaller , you will make the birds not fly .

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Mine all fly too except a couple that have hurt their wings. I think my aviaries face North but a little towards south. They get plenty of fresh air and sunlight.