• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,462
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  13,420
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. :(

Only people who buy directly from me are privy to a bird's background. :rip:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

That ain't fair Renee I and alot of other breeders have bought from the pet shop knowing where the breeders sell their cull and then ask for the back ground and they are quite happy to give it to us.

Some breeders around here breed too many and just can't keep them all or sell all their culls, so some of the good culls end up in the pet shop, and I am very quilty of this. I have taken quite a few good birds to the pet shop over my time that some one else thinks it's good enough for their breeding program.

One of my best birds come from the pet shop with the bloodline I am using, and the breeder gave me his backgorund and that lovely dark green cinnamon hen of mine is his daughter.

I call him my pet shop bird as he is the only one I have or have kept from a pet shop.

Edited by splat

• Member ID:  4,388

That ain't fair Renee I and alot of other breeders have bought from the pet shop knowing where the breeders sell their cull and then ask for the back ground and they are quite happy to give it to us.

Some breeders around here breed too many and just can't keep them all or sell all their culls, so some of the good culls end up in the pet shop, and I am very quilty of this. I have taken quite a few good birds to the pet shop over my time that some one else thinks it's good enough for their breeding program.

One of my best birds come from the pet shop with the bloodline I am using, and the breeder gave me his backgorund and that lovely dark green cinnamon hen of mine is his daughter.

I call him my pet shop bird as he is the only one I have or have kept from a pet shop.

Life is not fair ... this is another example of its injustices :(

And for any smart-asses out there who think you can pick up some good "variety" culls from my Pet Shop - Beware! You will get a horrid surprise when you try to breed them :rip:

Edited by renee

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. :(

Thats little rough Renee. So if you were given a super budgie from another breeder (say Cec Gearing) that he had bought in as an outcross from someone else, you wouldn't want to know its background.

For the record, I'm happy to provide details to people in all instances

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. :fear

Thats little rough Renee. So if you were given a super budgie from another breeder (say Cec Gearing) that he had bought in as an outcross from someone else, you wouldn't want to know its background.

In the very early days I did get a bird from my local City Farmers and eagerly rang up the breeder (they will remain nameless) and I was abruptly told that I was interrupting the footy match.

Whether it is that way with all breeders I do not know but I have taken my lead from that experience.

So No, I don't do things that way. My stock I have bought directly from top local breeders and any other birds I have acquired along the way I have not sought details - I think it is disrespectful. But that is just me. :(

Edited by renee

Life is not fair ... this is another example of its injustices :(

And for any smart-asses out there who think you can pick up some good "variety" culls from my Pet Shop - Beware! You will get a horrid surprise when you try to breed them :rip:

Are you refering to me Renee as a smart as because I bought a good cull from the pet shop and he through me some real nice birds.

Here is a daughter from the bird I got from the pet

mybirdsforshow024.jpgmybirdsforshow025.jpg

and her father the pet shop bird

birdsoct212009040.jpg

Mother

birdsoct222009007.jpg

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. :fear

Only people who buy directly from me are privy to a bird's background. :(

Just as I am on BBC and other bird forums and yahoo bird answers etc etc on the internet TO HELP PEOPLE ( something, I might add that is ingrained deeply in me and I cannot do otherwise ) ............I will always try to help someone with ring info or history of a bird to the best of my knowledge. Our Amy S is an example....she has the history of the bird she received off me. Price or where it was purchased should not be an issue. Although there are many breeders who dont want to know once they have culled birds. I cant be like that and its a pity to hear that negative philosophy occurring here on BBC :rip:

Well said Kaz :(

I have bought birds at auction and I have to admit that I have got a couple really cheap to my good fortune and to maybe the breeder horror thinking they would get heaps more. BUT I have rang these breeders and have been most generous in giving me a verbal background problem there is if I don't look after my bit of paper verbal in pretty useless with me as my memory sucks. :rip: But if I do a search 9 times out of 10 I find my bit of paper and then it goes in m pedigree book.

Edited by splat

Are you refering to me Renee as a smart as because I bought a good cull from the pet shop and he through me some real nice birds.
Did I really say that Julie? I am so sorry you misinterpreted my comments that way. :(
Well said Kaz :fear I have bought birds at auction and I have to admit that I have got a couple really cheap to my good fortune and to maybe the breeder horror thinking they would get heaps more. BUT I have rang these breeders and have been most generous in giving me a verbal background problem there is if I don't look after my bit of paper verbal in pretty useless with me as my memory sucks. :rip: But if I do a search 9 times out of 10 I find my bit of paper and then it goes in m pedigree book.

I have always thought that birds bought at auction were birds bought directly from the breeder through the Club so that our Club can raise funds via commission, but that is just the way I see it. In that case of course I have had no issue contacting the seller/breeder direct for details. :fear

However, it has been my experience when researching the background of such a bird that I was told "records are just what the breeder says" .... and from that sage gem of wisdom I understand that you really only really know what you get when you breed with it.

How many of us have bought 'the brother to the champion' only to find that it wasn't carrying the "good" genes after all ... B) In that case we say - "Evidently I didn't pair it correctly!" and if we can we on-sell. :)

Edited by renee

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. B)

Only people who buy directly from me are privy to a bird's background. :)

as should all breeders that truley know their birds backgrounds

mabe ren you just dont keep detail records and this is just one way to opt out of needing to as its pretty lame i must say for you to write a coment that you are not willing to help others if they dont give you the gold in your pocket

and also putting a notice out their that anything brought from pet shop of yours is **** and wont breed or what ever as you put it

good luck trying with it

well that puts me off buying anything from you at all for your own self if i was you i would just stop while you are a head before you sink your ship

and for record i never got any background for any the birds i got from you hence why i sold most on

paper work helps alot the rezult of my resent chicks proves this i was able to see who was what and how far back their fore useing this info to my advantage to keep line pure in a few cases

Edited by GenericBlue

as should all breeders that truley know their birds backgrounds

mabe ren you just dont keep detail records and this is just one way to opt out of needing to as its pretty lame i must say for you to write a coment that you are not willing to help others if they dont give you the gold in your pocket

and also putting a notice out their that anything brought from pet shop of yours is **** and wont breed or what ever as you put it

good luck trying with it

well that puts me off buying anything from you at all for your own self if i was you i would just stop while you are a head before you sink your ship

and for record i never got any background for any the birds i got from you hence why i sold most on paper work helps alot the rezult of my resent chicks proves this i was able to see who was what and how far back their fore useing this info to my advantage to keep line pure in a few cases

Thank goodness we live in a free world. :)

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

For the record. If anyone buys one of my bred budgies from the Pet Shop or second-hand from someone else, Do not contact me. I will not give you any details, more than likely I will deny the bird was ever actually mine. :rofl:

Only people who buy directly from me are privy to a bird's background. :)

In the very early days I did get a bird from my local City Farmers and eagerly rang up the breeder (they will remain nameless) and I was abruptly told that I was interrupting the footy match.

Whether it is that way with all breeders I do not know but I have taken my lead from that experience.

So No, I don't do things that way. My stock I have bought directly from top local breeders and any other birds I have acquired along the way I have not sought details - I think it is disrespectful. But that is just me. B)

Well you gave away who THAT was!!!! :rofl: And to be honest I wouldn't ask this fellow for help with anything as you are likely to get the same answer unless he has the opportunity to big note himself!!!!!! Unfortunately you just can't get away from that type of up themselves, self important people. You find out very quickly that they are in it SOLEY for themselves. It's just a shame he has influenced you to go down a similar track.

I have nothing at all to hide and am happy to help out where I can with variety birds or whatever as quite a few people here have already discovered. Also once people buy birds from me, I have NO problem with them being on-sold (like the clearwings you bought off Dave, Renee) and if they really want details of the birds then I will usually send the full pedigree or at least read out the details. You probably won't find my birds in a petshop these days but anyone who buys a G&G bird from anywhere is welcome to contact me for the ped details.

I'm not sure what it is that is so important (they are BUDGIES not gold bullion) that I need to keep it so close to my chest. I really don't get people that sell non-breeding birds, falsify the credentials of birds, just can't be bothered to find the details for you or fob you off when you contact them, well that kind of limits your repeat custom in my opinion. Personally I would much rather people be happy with a purchase knowing whatever there is to know about a bird or family or at least whatever I can impart to them, whether or not they bought the bird directly from me or not. I figure good customer service leads to repeat custom and a good reputation for selling birds that HELP improve someones stud.

Plus in the spirit of encouraging new people into the hobby (who OFTEN pick up pet shop birds to start with) I would encourage everyone to HELP these people or sooner or later we will only be competing against ourselves...............

Well you gave away who THAT was!!!! :) And to be honest I wouldn't ask this fellow for help with anything as you are likely to get the same answer unless he has the opportunity to big note himself!!!!!! Unfortunately you just can't get away from that type of up themselves, self important people. You find out very quickly that they are in it SOLEY for themselves. It's just a shame he has influenced you to go down a similar track.

I'm not sure what it is that is so important (they are BUDGIES not gold bullion) that I need to keep it so close to my chest. I really don't get people that sell non-breeding birds, falsify the credentials of birds, just can't be bothered to find the details for you or fob you off when you contact them, well that kind of limits your repeat custom in my opinion. Personally I would much rather people be happy with a purchase knowing whatever there is to know about a bird or family or at least whatever I can impart to them, whether or not they bought the bird directly from me or not. I figure good customer service leads to repeat custom and a good reputation for selling birds that HELP improve someones stud.

Plus in the spirit of encouraging new people into the hobby (who OFTEN pick up pet shop birds to start with) I would encourage everyone to HELP these people or sooner or later we will only be competing against ourselves...............

Nubbly, anyone who has come to visit me knows full-well that I am more than generous when it comes to helping out. :D

And as things stand I breed for myself and then mostly for the Pet Shop, I do this so that while my budgies don't pay for themselves at least my Pet Shop culls go towards paying for all my other pets. ;)

However, it has come to my attention that there are some people who would rather buy my Show budgie culls from the Pet Shop than me! I think it is a bit low so this year I bred accordingly. B)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Renee if you think you have a following and you think you wouldnt want to assist anyone buying your birds to get your bloodlines or "pedigrees"...you can always cut their legrings off when you sell to the petshop....BUT that would get you less $$'s for them wouldnt it ?

Edited by KAZ

Renee if you think you have a following and you think you wouldnt want to assist anyone buying your birds to get your bloodlines or "pedigrees"...you can always cut their legrings off when you sell to the petshop....BUT that would get you less $'s for them wouldnt it ?

Interesting, it would never occur to me to do that. ;)

Not providing details seems so more effective. :)

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Well you gave away who THAT was!!!! :) And to be honest I wouldn't ask this fellow for help with anything as you are likely to get the same answer unless he has the opportunity to big note himself!!!!!! Unfortunately you just can't get away from that type of up themselves, self important people. You find out very quickly that they are in it SOLEY for themselves. It's just a shame he has influenced you to go down a similar track.

Nubbly, anyone who has come to visit me knows full-well that I am more than generous when it comes to helping out. :D

And as things stand I breed for myself and then mostly for the Pet Shop, I do this so that while my budgies don't pay for themselves at least my Pet Shop culls go towards paying for all my other pets. ;)

However, it has come to my attention that there are some people who would rather buy my Show budgie culls from the Pet Shop than me! I think it is a bit low so this year I bred accordingly. B)

So long as you are happy and able to make the distinction. It would be really sad to think that some poor starter picked up one of your birds from the petshop and rang you, only to be told to eff off (maybe in not so few words of course) just like you were. If you take the time to explain it to them then great but if you don't then I don't think you are doing yourself or the hobby any favours.

And as things stand I breed for myself and then mostly for the Pet Shop, I do this so that while my budgies don't pay for themselves at least my Pet Shop culls go towards paying for all my other pets. B)

However, it has come to my attention that there are some people who would rather buy my Show budgie culls from the Pet Shop than me! I think it is a bit low so this year I bred accordingly. :D

So long as you are happy and able to make the distinction. It would be really sad to think that some poor starter picked up one of your birds from the petshop and rang you, only to be told to eff off (maybe in not so few words of course) just like you were. If you take the time to explain it to them then great but if you don't then I don't think you are doing yourself or the hobby any favours.

Actually I have already been contacted by someone in SA who picked up one of my birds from someone else. I explained very nicely to them that that person had not got that bird directly from me and in all likelihood it wasn't mine. :)

I mean really, how would you feel if you had given away (not gifted, free) good birds to people interested in getting into Show budgies to give them a leg up only to discover the same people were getting birds from your Pet Shop and ready to pay $30 (because that is what they go for ) rather than pay you a visit?! ;)

Edited by renee

Crikey Renee like Nubbly said some people pick their first birds up from the pet shop and it starts them on their way to their hobby.

Then after they find out who bred it and a few phone calls, they manage to find more breeders and clubs and most times join.

And anyway if someone bought my bird from the pet shop and I have sold some young birds there that have probably turned out really good and if that person rang me for info on it nine times out of ten they would buy more.

I think records and pedagree are very important.

Crikey Renee like Nubbly said some people pick their first birds up from the pet shop and it starts them on their way to their hobby.

Then after they find out who bred it and a few phone calls, they manage to find more breeders and clubs and most times join.

And anyway if someone bought my bird from the pet shop and I have sold some young birds there that have probably turned out really good and if that person rang me for info on it nine times out of ten they would buy more.

I believe I added this edit after you replied:

I mean really, how would you feel if you had given away (not gifted, free) good birds to people interested in getting into Show budgies to give them a leg up only to discover the same people were getting birds from your Pet Shop and ready to pay $30 (because that is what they go for ) rather than pay you a visit?! ;)

And may I point out that any Show breeder worth their salt would not be seen poking around Pet Shops? Well maybe some would ... but I repeat, I think it is disrespectful and have chosen not to do so. :)

As for Back Yard breeders, well if they want to really breed Show Budgies then they should join a club and purchase from members but from what I gather not all are that fussed so why should they care about genetic background? B)

I have a policy that only Club members get to see my birds in situ and because they are Club members I have gone out of my way to be kind, generous and helpful with the birds I have given them. I do not extend the same courtesy to any backyard breeder who blithely tell me they aviary breed and their birds routinely have poopy bums. Kind, yes, Helpful, naturally, Generous - No. :D

Edited by renee

I really don't care if someone buys one of my culls from the pet shop or from me. As long as they get a home.

And as for buying any good birds from the culls even at pet shops and they were lucky enough to breed something really good that went to the show and bet..... I say good on them well done.

I am still a beginner till end of this year so really how much right to I have to expect people tp pay a fortune for my birds.......... I am happy to help anyone out.

Mind you I have had some good offers lately ranging from $200 - $500 a bird but of course I said no as they are my best birds so far, as that hen with the crook eye, guess I will loose her and she is my best hen.

I really don't care if someone buys one of my culls from the pet shop or from me. As long as they get a home.

And as for buying any good birds from the culls even at pet shops and they were lucky enough to breed something really good that went to the show and bet..... I say good on them well done.

I am still a beginner till end of this year so really how much right to I have to expect people tp pay a fortune for my birds.......... I am happy to help anyone out.

Mind you I have had some good offers lately ranging from $200 - $500 a bird but of course I said no as they are my best birds so far.

I totally understand what you are saying. ;) That is how I used to feel. Alas I do no longer ... maybe in time I will reassess, in the meantime that is just how I feel about the matter. :)

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

I agree splat. I have lost count the number times people have rung me after buying a pet shop cull of mine, to tell me that they bred a really good budgie from it and want to buy others from the family. And generally that is there first experience with show budgies, and as you can testify Renee, first experineces count alot.

The more people we can entice to this great hobby the better for all. It is after all a hobby.

Thank you Heathrow and your right it's about getting more people into the hobby not chasing them away because we are scared they will do better than us.

Renee do you keep good records of your birds?

Thank you Heathrow and your right it's about getting more people into the hobby not chasing them away because we are scared they will do better than us.

Renee do you keep good records of your birds?

The birds I breed for myself, yes. ;) And when questioned about one of my birds that I have sold directly to someone I have always provided details to them, I might add that some people just do not ask - as is their prerogative. B) In fact lately I have not waited to be asked about my bred birds that I put up for auction and have provided full disclosure, such as "Mother to my Best in Show - tends to sit heavy: Monitor!" or "Feather Plucker!", etc. :)

Edited by renee

That's not what I meant, I am asking do you keep written records of your birds and their bloodlines. Plus bad traits

Edited by splat