Surprise Hatching

Well I paired this couple up awhile ago:

DominatePiedPair10-2-08a.jpg

I thought, I'm going to get wonderful chicks from these! Got 3 eggs. Then tragedy struck, we had a 42C day and since it's been such an unusually mild summer some of my birds weren't prepared. The hen died. I found her the next day on the floor - she had appeared okay previously.

Her eggs were cold but I popped them into this girl and boys box (their chicks were raised by Jnr Boss):

GraySupermum18-1-2008a.jpg

Changing the shavings today and I heard a noise from the box, took it down and found:

DomPiedchick15-3-2008a.jpg

That will be the only chick, the other eggs are no good. I am not even sure how old the chick is.

It was pure chance that I put the eggs in the white hens box, my first thought was to throw the eggs out!

Sure glad I didn't! At least I will have something to remember the mum by.

Thats fantastic news... keep us posted with updated pics, can't wait to see how the little one turns out.

That is wonderful news!!! i had two chicks hatch from the eggs of a mother who died in the nest that were fostered to another hen whilst cold..

he's quite a fat little chicky!!! looks like he's doing really well!!!! Dom pied bub here we come :D

Thats is really good news karen :D

Miracles do happen that is awesome

Wow, that's fantastic! :)

That is just brilliant Karen! I'm really excited for you and I can't wait to see how the little one turns out.

wow,thats great news!Hope all continues to go well and can't wait to see the chick grow up!

Congrats- he does look a chunky little fella!!!

The little one is doing really well, mumma feeds it til it's near bursting.

PiedChick21-3-2008a.jpg

PiedChick1a21-3-2008.jpg

Awww. Looking good! You've got to enter that last picture in Budgie of the month. Very cute!!!