• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  230
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

I have two green budgies: Male and Female. I came home today and went to go check on my birds. However, once I checked that inside the cage the male budgie was at the bottom of the cage, and it had puffed up feathers. Then when I reached my hand in the cage it went on a perch. It was still puffed up and standing on one leg. The top of its head was also strange, as the feathers covering the head were uneven.

What should I do? Is my budgie sick? I'm very concerned for my budgie I don't want it to die :(

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

It sounds like your bird could be ill. Place him under a heat lamp, no vegs just seed and water. It's hard to say what the problem is, it could be a trip to avian vet to see what is wrong. They get sick very quickly as they hide the fact they are sick, by the time you notice they could be really sick. Is there any wheezing or squeaky sound when he breathes? I'd isolate him from your other bird to see if he improves.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

This is the pair that is breeding and has the splay leg chick, right? And these chicks are almost at fledging age, aren't they? You might want to keep an eye out for the parents fighting with each other or with the chicks. One parent sometimes wants to start a new round of breeding and will attack the chicks to get them out of the nest. And if the other parent isn't ready to start again, there can be trouble between the two.

That could change this scenario from "sick bird" to "attacked bird", so I would be keeping an eye on things.

It is also okay to take one parent away at this stage, because the other parent can finish out the raising of the chicks. So isolating the father and giving him a heat lamp is a good plan. How has he been doing over the last couple of days?

By the way, perching on one leg is normal, and how they sleep, so that by itself is not a bad sign. But do keep an eye out for any other symptoms, Trying to sleep with two feet on the perch is a sign of loss of coordination and balance.

Good luck. Let us know what happens, and keep trying to get up photos of that splay leg chick.

• Member ID:  7,884

I just realized that the father budgie's leg or foot may be broken...He is not using it and all and when he moves he is limping on one leg. :(

I don't want him to lose his leg or die, and I think that may be the reason why he has been acting strange. The female budgie is attacking him whenever he tries to get close to the nest. I will try to get a new cage today and try to move him inside. Any suggestions on how I can cure his leg? I tried phone calling vets but it's spring break so none of them are available! Please help!!

(And I'll try to post pictures of the splayed leg budgie)

~Aquafroste

• Member ID:  5,241
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  1,887
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  10,750
  • Birthday:  21/12/1946

I have fixed a broken leg (with great difficulty) by wrapping a bit of cotton wool around leg, then 2 matchsticks either side of break then taping it all on with surgical tape. It's easier if you have someone hold bird for you. Check that foot is still normal colour and not swollen, so blood circulation is not restricted. I left it for a week before checking, if still not using leg normally redo taping.

Only do this if there is no broken skin or wound. If so treat that before adding tape etc and check every couple days for infection. I used betadine on mine. Good luck and see how you go. Not easy but worth the effort, mine returned to normal and bred some lovely chicks.

You need to get that second cage pronto! - this sounds to me like he was attacked by the female, or vice versa. At this stage it can be necessary to act quickly in order to avoid a tragedy.

For future reference, or for folks who are reading and learning how to breed budgies, an extra cage is a must have item on your supply list. Sooner or later, the chicks will have to be removed from the parents unless you are keeping them all and your original cage is quite large. And it is very common to have to take away one or the other parent. Hens often become run down from raising chicks, and may need to be isolated for a rest, and to get them to stop laying eggs when they start a second round and you don't want them to breed a second round.

IT IS VERY VERY COMMON FOR PARENTS TO ATTACK AND KILL THEIR FIRST ROUND CHICKS WHEN THEY WANT TO CLEAR THEM OUT AND START A NEW ROUND

As for the cock's leg, Robyn's advice is good. Budgie legs tend to heal very well, so good luck with him.

• Member ID:  7,681
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  995
  • Birthday:  30/07/1958

Oh my word!!!! This happened to my Male Budgie Posted here on the Left as my Profile pick- At the time the Lovebirds were still with the Budgies and I didnt know that they get aggressive when they start breeding. Now they are seperated by panels in the Avery.

I used a bandage that contains plaster of Paris. We washed and disinfected the wound with tepid/lukewarm water and applied betadine before closing with Gypsum.My Mom helped me to splint the leg with a matchstick-she held the bird -close birds eye with a cloth so he remains calm in darkness, then we wrapped the gauzelike bandage around after dipping it in water. It sets in seconds. I left it on for 14 days according to a racing pigeon friend. cut it off after 10 days with a small scissor after wetting it and Voila!!!! He has fathered many beautiful clutches!!!Leg as normal as any other bird- no limping. Apparently the tissue surrounding the wound stretches out and surrounds the break and heals as sinew and tissue around the wound-thats how it heals apparently or sets??!! according to the Pigeon man. Hope this was helpful. To avoid infection should she not put him on an anti=biotic and probiotic Finnie? I was told to mix the probiotic with wet food but I just sprinkle it lightly like salt over their seeds , then i know for sure they are injesting it.Saved a few birds with Crop canker like that but used Also Ronidazole for Crop canker-thanks to Nadine recently saved a beautiful young cock. Hope this was helpful- and a seperate cage is a must!!! I have Hospital cage- baby cage-spares for sick birds for isolation /quarantine. Let us know Aquafroste-this gypsum bandage that contains Plaster of Paris is found at Chemists in the Bandages and so forth section- ask your big pharmacies.

We have non-existant Avian Vets here in Cape Town-they actually killed 3 of my birds. I've saved many budgies and finches just from advise applied from this forum and people that know birds. Good luck!

I was very worried that day when the male budgie seemed to be crippled and so I went to go buy another cage. However once I came back the male budgie seemed to be fine again...? Is this because he is hiding his injury because now lately I've noticed that he has not been affected by his leg or his foot. The pair of budgies are still bickering and pecking at each other, but that's not that violent.

Should I still take away the male budgie...? Because I really don't know how to take him from the cage without stressing him out or letting him bite me? I only want to separate the two budgies only when it is really necessary.

Whenever the female budgie starts to go inside of the nesting box to feed the chicks, one of the chicks keep pecking at her! I don't know how to stop this! She then flies away and doesn't feed the chicks...

Any suggestions on what I should do?

I was very worried that day when the male budgie seemed to be crippled and so I went to go buy another cage. However once I came back the male budgie seemed to be fine again...? Is this because he is hiding his injury because now lately I've noticed that he has not been affected by his leg or his foot.

Sometimes they look like their foot is injured or broken, and it really isn't. Then it looks like they made a miraculous recovery. As long as there was no broken skin or blood, then you probably don't have to do anything. As for antibiotics, I don't use them unless I'm sure there is an infection that they can cure. Overuse of antibiotics just creates resistant strains of bacteria.

The pair of budgies are still bickering and pecking at each other, but that's not that violent.

Should I still take away the male budgie...? YES! Why wait for it to escalate?

Because I really don't know how to take him from the cage without stressing him out or letting him bite me? I only want to separate the two budgies only when it is really necessary. Well, it is true that they are easier to remove after they are dead.

okay, I apologize, that isn't really very funny. But leaving them to bicker and fight is stressing them out anyway, so you might as well be proactive and prevent a worse problem. Wear gloves if you are worried. It is also helpful to own a net. Babies have an uncanny ability to fly past you out of the cage, and then you will need a net to catch them.

Whenever the female budgie starts to go inside of the nesting box to feed the chicks, one of the chicks keep pecking at her! I don't know how to stop this! She then flies away and doesn't feed the chicks...

Any suggestions on what I should do?

How old are the chicks now? If they are at the four week mark, then you have a few options.

You could take away the mother, instead of the father.

You could make a shelter on the floor of the cage, put the babies in there, and take the box away.

Or once the chicks are in the shelter, you could let the parents stay together with their box and raise a second round. If the chicks are safe in the shelter and don't bother the parents, (or vice versa), they can stay for a week or so until you move them to their own cage.

Or you can move them to their own cage now, but then you have to watch them carefully to make sure they are capable of feeding themselves.

If the chick is pecking the mother away and won't let her feed him, then he may be already eating on his own.

I've never heard of a budgie owner being scared to be bitten? Mine bite me in Aviary and its hard and sore but not lifethreatening! Do you not play or handle your budgies at all? I taught one of my budgies to step up and down on my finger, and hand upside down and turn her head left and right in 1 day. She still does it till today!her name is Peanut! Just handle them Aquafroste! You must be able to enjoy your budgies otherwise what's the point of having them? You can tame those chicks 1 2 3. Just talk to them and cuddle them everyday, handle them. I taught my other budgie Fievel to sit on my hand and give me little nibbles,I scratch her head and she does the wolf whistle. She can also whistle part of old Macdonald had a farm+some other tunes all within 6 months. And she was a runt of the clutch and in danger of dying. I removed her from clutch trying to trample her and handreared her till she was fully feathered.come on you can do this! Just go for it.

I moved the male budgie into the new cage. So I don't have to worry about them fighting anymore :)

I do have another concern however, because there are two baby budgies in the nesting box, and one of them is a lot older than the other one (Which is the one that has the splayed legs). The older baby budgie is fully fledged I believe, but there is no sign of the budgie coming out, and there is signs of the splayed chick wanting to come out. Is this a problem? Or is it normal for one budgie to be late coming out of the nesting box? The older baby budgie also seems to be very timid and always hiding behind its sibling whenever I check the nesting box.

Sorry if I seem to be asking too much questions :/

~Aquafroste

Edited by Aquafroste

Its normal for the younger ones to hide in box and older ones to hang out with mom and Dad

Sorry got it wrong but some siblings are leaders and some are timid. I have 11 chicks at moment,been doing this for 3 years.I've had bigger chicks trample smaller ones in eagerness to be fed by Mom. When were these darlings born? Most chicks are afraid to exit the box and take that big step! Quite normal. They are scared they might not be able to get back in nestbox when they need to.

Just make sure they are being fed by mom and that their crops are full by nightfall. Your situation is so strange. Dad feeds mom and mom feeds babies. That's the normal and correct order of budgies.I'm just concerned they get fed.

The younger budgie is hogging all of the food! Whenever the mother budgie comes to feed them the younger budgie takes all of the food. The older budgie in the nesting box doesn't seem to be getting any food at all! :(

What should I do?

~Aquafroste

And these chicks were born about a month ago.

Also the male budgie is separated, and when he wasn't separated I think he taught the young chicks to peck at the mom....

You'll have to intervene fast! Or de baby will die. I give my birds pro-nutro or baby cereal no1 diluted with water. The rice baby cerealn then put a drop on his tongue or against beak-they catch on quick they r being fed +shud gobble at syringe or bent spoon. I feed with Herbalife spoon. that's to get them to eat until you get small packet of parakeet breeders mix, grated apple in mix also hydrates them, its similar to feedin a baby. Don't squirt or force into mouth past tongue as it may enter airpipe+choke them. Else take greedy piggy out for a while say 30 minutes, keep him warm, and watch that momfeeds the bigger one.then return piggym their crOps should look like little baloons or sacs full of squashy mush. In bigger or smaller birds you can c the millet seed in their crops!

The mother budgie doesn't seem to be feeding the baby budgies anymore after I separated the male budgie. She only feeds them when they chirp and so far only the greedy chick will chirp for food. The other baby chick will not chirp for food at all. I'm so confused and I don't have any baby cereal.

I'm wondering if I should put back the male budgie?

Some of Maz ideas will work, and sometimes they won't. I have tried to get a three to four week old baby to take some hand feeding formula, and usually they won't touch it. What usually ends up happening is that the chick is old enough to eat on its own, and it does.

If they are a month old, you can take them out of the box and take the box away. They don't need it any more. The mother might be more likely to feed them if they are on the perch next to her.

You can still make a little ice cream container shelter on the floor of the cage in case the babies want to hide in there. Put some seed and millet inside it, and the babies will eat that.

If you prefer to have them with their father instead of their mother, that is fine too. I disagree a little bit with Maz about the father feeding the mother, and she in turn feeding the chicks. That is true in the beginning, but after about two weeks of age, the father starts to feed the chicks directly himself in a lot of cases. The mother will usually start to spend less time in the box, and leave the raising of the chicks to the father by the two to four week mark. Or they share. There will always be a lot of variation in how one budgie pair or another pair does things.

I see your profile says you are in the U.S. Is that Canton, Michigan, Canton, Ohio, or Canton, Some Other State? I used to live near Canton, Michigan. (In Plymouth)

And the chicks are too big too see the see through crops; So how can I know if their crop is full or not? There are feathers covering the crop, so I can't really tell.

The chicks haven't really touched the millet or seeds...So I don't think that they can eat it yet. But the younger chick has nibbled at the seed, but it spit the seed right back out.

(I'm currently in Canton, Michigan, but my family is moving really soon!)

Edited by Aquafroste

You should be able to tell if their chest looks flat, or if it looks like there is a big round lump where the crop is.

What kind of diet have you had the parents on this whole time? I give my breeding birds soft food, lots of vegetables, and oat groats. You can get oat groats at a health food store. They are soft and very easy for a chick to learn to eat. All of these things that I feed the parents while they are raising chicks are good foods for the youngsters to learn to eat when they get weaned. If you are worried that they aren't eating seed or millet, place a saucer in the cage with all of these things on it, and they will have a lot of easy foods to work with.

They will be hungry. They will learn to eat something, and the more choices you give them, the better. Pellets are also easy for babies to learn to eat.

How is the splay leg chick looking? We still haven't seen a photo showing it's legs, in order to know how serious/not serious it is. Or if the make up sponge is working.

Hold chick upside down an fluff crop feathers up, you shud see the seethrough skin,alernatice feel around neck.Crop is a soft mushy ball in front of beak and surrounds neck.just feel if food in it.

I agree with you Finnie, I presumed the babies to be not older than3 weeks but they could b older. I've observed it now with my 4 pairs that mom's sit on guard+ Dad runs his head off! Finch dads r so dedicated but I thought the budgie mom won't allow male in box, well so you learn everday!

Edited by Finnie

I have an all seed diet for my budgies. I'm in trouble right now because I'm really torn between putting the father budgie back in the cave with the mother budgie or not.

If I don't put the male budgie in then the mom budgie will not really teach the young chicks to eat seeds. One of the chicks came out of the nesting box yesterday but then it went back in after I was gone for about thirty minutes. However, I observed when it was outside of the cage the father was going crazy in the other cage while the mother budgie kind of ignored the chick. It got me very worried so I was urged to out the father back in the cage so that he can do something. The mother budgie has not been eating seeds that much either, but the father budgie would eat the seeds before I separated them. So, maybe it would encourage the chicks if I did put the father budgie inside?

If I do, there are might be some problems too:

The father budgie might teach the younger chicks to peck at the mother budgie (he already did it once). The mother budgie also pecks at him. So if I put him inside the cage, then is there a chance that might attack the baby chicks? He wanted to go inside the nesting box before I separated him but the mother budgie would not allow it. He also may have a bad influence on the chicks because the mother fights with him all the time.

Help I'm really torn on whether or not I should let the father budgie back inside the cage. :(

~Aquafroste

Aquafroste I don't know if the co-ordinators r going to give me flack4 this reply:I've never seperated the parents while feeding the chicks,my females all peck+are temperamental towards the male at times. I don't think the male shud hav bn removed.that's why he's frantic!you might perceive the "pecking" as harmful when I think its actually begging or pestering mom4 food.I ve had my budgies hatch several clutche s +i've never had bloodshed or death-bickering but no blood!

Aquafroste I don't know if the co-ordinators r going to give me flack4 this reply:I've never seperated the parents while feeding the chicks,my females all peck+are temperamental towards the male at times. I don't think the male shud hav bn removed.that's why he's frantic!you might perceive the "pecking" as harmful when I think its actually begging or pestering mom4 food.I ve had my budgies hatch several clutche s +i've never had bloodshed or death-bickering but no blood!

Lol, not trying to give you flack, but I will say that you are lucky if you've never had a problem. I have. And once you witness the mother bleeding terribly from trying to keep the attacking father away from the chicks, and then when you remove the badly injured mother to a hospital cage, turn around, and see the father viciously attacking the chicks in the nest, you will realize that IF the parents are starting to fight, it is nothing to fool around with.

Or ask other forum members who have had the mother turn on newly fledged chicks and outright kill them. And then you will realize that even though things usually go well, it is important to watch out for when they go bad.

Aquafroste, one thing that should probably have been mentioned- when you take the father away, you should put him in a far away room where the parents can't hear each other. They will understandably be upset at being separated, and will frantically call to each other.

Sometimes I can't do that though, and it's not the end of the world. Even if the mother is not feeding them or being much of a good example, they are old enough that they should learn to eat by themselves anyway.

okay but how r chicks feeding if they r in box? Try and post photos of the chicks and whole scenario. Cage size, parents, otherwise we will b putting a little stone up at 1 of the birdie funeral grounds!