• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hey all, just thought id share a picture of our two new birds and at the same time ask a few general questions.

Here is Charlie (green) and Lulu (blue)

524940_224418524341157_100003190326777_391951_728067410_n.jpg

• NOW, in naming these (kids did) we have/had no idea on sex. This is my first question? I have read through a fair few posts and had a look at my two but im still not 100% sure on sex.
  • Re food, being new to budgies is there anything special i should give them, currently they are eating a seed mix in there feeder (pet shop mix?) with a hanging honey block and a cuttle fish. Is there anything else i could give them or any "treats" that can be recommended? ie: fruit? I want them to be happy and healthy :)
  • Charlie, seems to continually kick out there seed and squeeze himself/herself into the feeder tray...is this a common/normal trait for a young bird in a new environment? (was told they were 8 weeks at time of purchase?) I have removed this today and purchased a new open feeder that sits on the cage bottom, but would like to put the other one back up. just want to be sure there okay first?

Other than that, they actually seem pretty happy, on the few occasions i have had my arm in changing water etc both have flown onto my arm and just sat there lol

thanks for taking the time to read my post and any recommendations and/or feedback is much appreciated.

Wayne.

• Member ID:  6,947
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  393
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  2,625
  • Birthday:  16/04/1998

I'm only really an expert on the food (lol) What I feed my birds quite regularly, is a mix of hard boiled egg, wholegrain pasta, fresh veggies, and a tiny bit of bottle pellets (no idea what brand they are though)... They really like this, and when I'm out of school, in the holidays or something, i might start doing this on weekends, is oatmeal, because all birds love their wholegrain oatmeal... I advise you slowly stop giving them the seeds... They probably only know how to eat seeds, so put a bowl of what you want them to eat, with a tiny amount of seed on top, and they'll accidently take nibbles of the good stuff, and they'll slowly "wean" themselves off of the seeds and onto stuff that you like... A good idea, is to keep introducing foods to your birds, because if you do that, then they'll trust you with anything you put out for them to eat :)

Hope I helped :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Suggest you switch the names around as LULU is definitely a BOY and Charlie is most likely a female but will hold judgement on that till we get a front on photo with no flash used.

Both appear to be spangles, and seem to be around 8 wks old no older.

I am real sorry flip trainer but to advise weaning off seeds is not good advice and can lead to starvation. :(

I would however avoid the use of "junkfood" in the form of seed treats on sticks...................

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

They are cute as!!! Congratulations ^_^ I have to agree with Kaz about the seed... do NOT remove it, gradually or anything. They will starve and die. Instead introduce some veggies etc... and sprinkle some seed on it, as suggested... but do not remove their seed bowl. Getting them to eat different foods can take time but that's okay. You can also experiment by clipping some bok choy or other dark green leafy stuff (not lettuce) to the sides of the cage. They may be interested in nibbling on it. Also agree on stopping or only using occasionally the sticks, as they contain lots of sugar.

The behavior of climbing into the seed dish is also normal at that age. Again congrats!

• Member ID:  7,293
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  65

Wow, thanks all for the fast, detailed replies!

I have just removed the seed block and will avoid using them from now on, thanks.

I only have one more front on shot (below). Is this in focus enough to tell if Lulu (now the green one) is female? (sorry, taken from my phone)

front-2.jpg

Thanks Maesie, we think there a cute pair too, just need to know who wears the pants in this cage lol

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I can't help you with their genders but forgot to mention millet as a good treat food. If you plan on taming them it's great as bribery as they love it... once they know what it is. You can hang a piece in there for them and once they're not scared of it and eat it, use the other bits as bribery for getting them to step up etc...

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hard to tell from that photo about the renamed LULU :D maybe try for another tomorrow in natural light conditions and a close up of the cere ( Macro setting on camera )

The reason I say about the seed treat sticks is............they call them honey treats or whatever but since the pet food industry is not regulated like people food is...........all it needs is a drop of honey to call it a honey stick and the rest is often animal glues to stick it all together. Not good for the little feathered friends.

They are real cuties arent they :)

Suggest you switch the names around as LULU is definitely a BOY and Charlie is most likely a female but will hold judgement on that till we get a front on photo with no flash used.

I am real sorry flip trainer but to advise weaning off seeds is not good advice and can lead to starvation. :(

I would however avoid the use of "junkfood" in the form of seed treats on sticks...................

Yes, i know this, but i was rushing when typing, because I was going out to a restaurant... you only do what i said if the bird isnt a fussy eater

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

I am real sorry flip trainer but to advise weaning off seeds is not good advice and can lead to starvation. sad.gif

Yes, i know this, but i was rushing when typing, because I was going out to a restaurant... you only do what i said if the bird isnt a fussy eater

Being in a rush is no excuse to give out bad advice! :blink: Fussy eater or not fussy eater, no one should wean their bird off seeds. (I realize there is a "pellets only" camp, but I disagree with them.)

But the trick about putting some seeds on top of a new food you want them to try is a good idea.

I agree with Maesie about using millet for training. I think it's great they they will already land on your arm, and you will want to encourage that and build on it. They sound like they might have a natural bent towards tameness! :D Lucky!

And they sure are cute. I think they might both be boys, but since the green one isn't quite as obvious as the blue one, I am with the others on trying to get a better photo. :)

Personally I don't like using Millet for training... It gets really messy and when my Mum sees the mess (only just before I clean it up) she gets mad :rolleyes: I would use a mixture of sunflower seeds and lowish in fat nuts (small or chopped up)

Edited by **KAZ**
  • 1 month later...

• Member ID:  7,327
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  376
  • Achievement Points:  2,285

I like to feed my budgies corn, broccoli, grated carrot and apples, there favorite is corn. They are really cute little birds, good luck with them.