• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  255
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

hi, i am relatively new to this forum and discussion about budgies. I have done a lot of research about budgies eg. their behavior, breeding, health. etc. And i have decided to breed budgies. I have an aviary outside, which at the moment holds 7 birds. the aviary is fully enclosed bricked around the edges to prevent any rodents entering the aviary. The aviary is 1.5 meters in width, 1.5 meters in Depth and 1.9 meters in height. The aviary has 3 females and 1 male. i got them around 3 months ago and have discovered the sex. i am looking at selling one of the female budgies and replacing the budgie with a male. also in the aviary includes a pair of scarlet chested parrots and one quail. i am just curious that it might be dangerous breeding the budgies together. Thankyou.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

hi, i am relatively new to this forum and discussion about budgies. I have done a lot of research about budgies eg. their behavior, breeding, health. etc. And i have decided to breed budgies. I have an aviary outside, which at the moment holds 7 birds. the aviary is fully enclosed bricked around the edges to prevent any rodents entering the aviary. The aviary is 1.5 meters in width, 1.5 meters in Depth and 1.9 meters in height. The aviary has 3 females and 1 male. i got them around 3 months ago and have discovered the sex. i am looking at selling one of the female budgies and replacing the budgie with a male. also in the aviary includes a pair of scarlet chested parrots and one quail. i am just curious that it might be dangerous breeding the budgies together. Thankyou.

YES!!! Even if you just had the budgies in there, colony breeding (which is breeding in groups) often leads to deaths of chicks AND parents. As a new breeder you and better off buying a breeding cage and taking a pair out and putting them in there. The fact that you have other birds in the aviary also I would definitely NOT breed any bird in this situation.

Also, you mention you got them 3 months ago, do you know how old they are? As you need to be sure they are above 12 months of age before breeding.

• Member ID:  7,128
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  31
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  255

YES!!! Even if you just had the budgies in there, colony breeding (which is breeding in groups) often leads to deaths of chicks AND parents. As a new breeder you and better off buying a breeding cage and taking a pair out and putting them in there. The fact that you have other birds in the aviary also I would definitely NOT breed any bird in this situation.

Also, you mention you got them 3 months ago, do you know how old they are? As you need to be sure they are above 12 months of age before breeding.

thankyou so much, i have had a long thought about it and i have decided to buy the pair a breeding cage to breed in and sell the other two females and the scarlets can have their own aviary :) thankyou alot and i will post soon a breeding journal of the budgies :D