• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  84
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  540
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1988

Hi all can somebody tell me what Cock you would pair to what Hen ? i am not sure how to pair them correctly :unsure:

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

Lovely birds BK. If you would like some advice and help on pairing your birds, I am pretty sure that someone in your club would be happy to come and visit. That way, they could see the birds up close and personal and you could get an experienced breeders advice and commentary on why they would be pairing which hen to what cock :)

• Member ID:  5,337
  • Group:  Site Members

Lovely birds BK. If you would like some advice and help on pairing your birds, I am pretty sure that someone in your club would be happy to come and visit. That way, they could see the birds up close and personal and you could get an experienced breeders advice and commentary on why they would be pairing which hen to what cock :)

Thanks Sunnie

hi all here is an idea on how i might pair the new birds. tell me what you think :)

Pair 1: Grey Green Cock (sue adams) X Grey Hen (ray slade)

Pair 2: Grey normal Cock (sue adams) X Normal Green Hen (sue adams)

Pair 3: Dark Green / Lutino Cock (dennis lomman) X Clear Body Sky Hen (sue adams)

Pair 4: Grey Green Cock (ray slade) X Light Grey Cinnamon Hen (sue adams)

Pair 5: Cobalt Cock (diana trevarten) X Sky Blue Hen (sue adams)

Pair 6: Sky Blue Cock (L Edwards) X Grey Cinnamon Hen (L Edwards)

Edited by b.k.2009

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

hi all here is an idea on how i might pair the new birds. tell me what you think :)

Pair 2: Grey normal Cock (sue adams) X Grey Cinnamon Hen (L Edwards)

Pair 3: Dark Green / Lutino Cock (dennis lomman) X Normal Green Hen (sue adams)

Pair 4: Grey Green Cock(ray slade) X Light Grey Cinnamon Hen (sue adams)

Pair 6: Sky Blue Cock (L Edwards) X Clear Body Sky Hen (sue adams)

Consider pairing the Dark Green/Ino to the Clearbody hen. You will then produce Normal/CB cocks; Clearbody/Ino cocks; Normal hens and Ino hens. This will start you off with some visual CB cock for next year.

As it stands now Pair 3 only has a 25% of producing an Ino and it will be a hen and all the cocks produced will be Normal but some will split for Ino but you will not know which ones. Pair 6 will only produced Normal split Clearbody cocks and Normal hens.

Unless you have been given pedigrees you will not know if any of the other birds are split but I would suggest being split for Opaline and Cinnamon or both is common place.

Have you a particular reason for keeping the Greys together? This will produce a portion of double factor Greys. A pairing I like to do is a Grey Green/Blue to a Blue with one having a dark factor.

Pair 2: Grey normal Cock (sue adams) X Grey Cinnamon Hen (L Edwards)

Pair 3: Dark Green / Lutino Cock (dennis lomman) X Normal Green Hen (sue adams)

Pair 4: Grey Green Cock(ray slade) X Light Grey Cinnamon Hen (sue adams)

Pair 6: Sky Blue Cock (L Edwards) X Clear Body Sky Hen (sue adams)

Consider pairing the Dark Green/Ino to the Clearbody hen. You will then produce Normal/CB cocks; Clearbody/Ino cocks; Normal hens and Ino hens. This will start you off with some visual CB cock for next year.

As it stands now Pair 3 only has a 25% of producing an Ino and it will be a hen and all the cocks produced will be Normal but some will split for Ino but you will not know which ones. Pair 6 will only produced Normal split Clearbody cocks and Normal hens.

Unless you have been given pedigrees you will not know if any of the other birds are split but I would suggest being split for Opaline and Cinnamon or both is common place.

Have you a particular reason for keeping the Greys together? This will produce a portion of double factor Greys. A pairing I like to do is a Grey Green/Blue to a Blue with one having a dark factor.

Thanks RIPbudgies i will alter the parings as you has recommended. i will put the clearbody hen to the dark green/ino cock and grey cinnamon hen to the blue cock :D

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

b.k.2009 you could also consider keeping together birds from the same studs. There is a good chance the bird are realted and so the features you need to cement will be enhanced further by breeding related individuals. This will give you a good grounding for your own lines. Remember what you see if not always what you get. Be prepared to mix and match at the next pairing. Observe carefully the results and compare to the parents. You want to see consistency and uniformity in the young. Remember also the young will carry a percentage of the parents genes and don't be afraid of putting a son or daughter back to a parent. Some times pairs (bloodlines) just don't click, doesn't mean the pairs are no good, try them with another mate.

Ask the breeders if they have the pedigrees for the birds and also where their stock originated and where they get their outcrosses from. You got a few birds there from Sue Adams. Is it possible that any of the cocks are split Clearbody? ring her and find out....it would be better way to go especially if related....if not fall back to the Dark Green/Ino.

picture#8...does that hen always sit back on the perch like that?

b.k.2009 you could also consider keeping together birds from the same studs. There is a good chance the bird are realted and so the features you need to cement will be enhanced further by breeding related individuals. This will give you a good grounding for your own lines. Remember what you see if not always what you get. Be prepared to mix and match at the next pairing. Observe carefully the results and compare to the parents. You want to see consistency and uniformity in the young. Remember also the young will carry a percentage of the parents genes and don't be afraid of putting a son or daughter back to a parent. Some times pairs (bloodlines) just don't click, doesn't mean the pairs are no good, try them with another mate.

Ask the breeders if they have the pedigrees for the birds and also where their stock originated and where they get their outcrosses from. You got a few birds there from Sue Adams. Is it possible that any of the cocks are split Clearbody? ring her and find out....it would be better way to go especially if related....if not fall back to the Dark Green/Ino.

picture#8...does that hen always sit back on the perch like that?

Thanks RIPbudgies i will email Sue Adams tonight, the ring numbers of her birds and find out the pedigrees of the birds, the Sky blue Hen in picture#8, no she sits normally on the perch but when i put her in the show box she was nervous / angry :)