• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  497
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  3,455
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/08/1989

So I read a lot about the 'different kinds' of show budgie breeders.

There are the ones that put blood sweat and tears from the very beginning into their birds. Waking up at 5am to tend to the pinkies and clean the flights.

The ones that start out with average stock birds and over a course of many years, produce absolute rippers.

Then there are the ones that have deep pockets, going to the best National bird breeder and buying top quality birds right off the bat.

Then breeding these birds and have National winners.

I know personally I would prefer to be the first one.

And from the articles I read on this forum everyday, majority if not all of the members here today put a lot of work into their birds.

But as a beginner, its daunting to think of how long it will take to find that one chick out a clutch that just takes the cake. Whether or not I'm (or we) are taking

steps in the right direction with learning about and choosing pairs.

So this is more of an enquiry of curiosity, inspired by GB's post of her stud and how it came to be.

If you have them floating around, or still have records going way back when (depending on how long you've been breeding and showing),

I know I would love to see or hear about your first show type pair.

I would love to know where you started, if it were as low down the ladder as me (or us).

Post some pictures if you have the inkling, or just a description about them.

What flaws do you look back on and think of what could have been done to fix it?

Was your first pair absolutely rubbish or did it provide the start of a learning curve?

I just think this will be valued information for beginners such as myself to read and think "So they started where I am now."

A boost of confidence if you will.

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

I think the key is to have an eye for what you want and what type of bird is winning.

You find a breeder that has that type of bird but at the same time it is handy if that breeder is winning on the bench also.

But if you buy his culls and they could be as little as $20.00. Ask for the line that you think will help you on your way.

This is how I stated. I first started off with culls not for showing at all and I did breed a lot of little birds with No feather.

But it all came together on my second year of breeding, Greg bought me 3 birds from the breeder that I was always buying them from but he asked for something good and he had to wait for a few months and then he got the phone call, the bird that made the difference was a 3 year old spangle cock, Greg paid $25.00 for him.

greygrspangle.jpg

I put this bird with a sky spangle from another breeder and bred me yellow Double factor cock.

then i put that yellow df cock with a cobalt sp hen that was from a hen from the origional breeder but her father was a fronm another different breeder and I breeder a wonderful family, I have the 3 white df spangle cocks Kaz has one, 3 yellow df sp hens, sky cinn op spangle hen who is just stunning, the best light green spangle cock i have ever breed plus a few more. I win with all these birds. One of those white Df sp was Grand Champion at the Ky show this year.

And these these birds are throwing lovely young too.

I also put the old boy with the violet hen that Greg got me on the same day and bred all those beautiful violets and light green spangles, I won the Shield with one of the violets.

My point is if you know a breeder that doesn't charge the earth and has a good line going you can purchase some of his or her birds and and then work at it.

I would love to buy some top birds but I can't afford to. Plus I know a few people that have spent hundreds and hundreds on a bird and they have not thrown anything, clear eggs only. and to add insult to injury these birds have cancer tumors and have to be put down. Just have to count your loss.

• Member ID:  5,779

That is a lovely cock for $25

I hear a lot of that too. People buying a name but having zero success.

I think the whole hype about paying ridiculous amounts for a bird is silly.

I hear tales of people paying around $10 000 for a single budgie, because they may be from some top breeder somewhere.

But you just never know what their success rate is going to be, and like you said, it just adds insult to injury when they reveal how much they paid for them.

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

Great response Splat and I think it's a great thread also. I dont know if I have pictures of my first show types, but some of my early birds would be here on this forum I think. I have been exhibition breeding for about 3 years. When I first decided to get serious, my partner and I spent around about $700 on I think about 11 birds at our first state auction. I did what a lot of people say not to do, and started with birds from all over, just buying what took my eye. Since then, I have learned a bit about breeding and as Splat mentioned, about what I really like as far as breeders and varieties go. I started with reasonably good stock and now I believe I can improve. Also as Spat said, I now only have a couple of breeders I prefer to buy from and I really think at this point, I dont need to buy more birds in, as with good planning, I really should be able to improve my stock without out crosses at this point. I suppose I am the "in between" type of breeder. I didnt start with small birds and build them, but I havent spent thousands on my birds either. With each breeding season, I am more excited by knowing the genetics of my birds and who they "click" with and looking forward to the next one to experiment and improve more. Now I'm starting to ramble, but thats a bit about how I started :)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

splat that was a great response as it shows the truth behind what you know not who you know

i personally dont need to go putting up pics but ill say this

the birds i brought to start my albino line with . only cocks i have breed all my own albino hens

i have only ever gone back to that same breeder to for stock for that line and

same as my lacewings i brought 4 birds to start with all cocks and i breed my own visual hens then i got 2 visuals hens from the breeder and have kept all split cocks from these hens to two different cocks from related blood so im keeping one line pure and one im producing to be able to bring in as my own out crossed line but with some common blood

i decided years ago this was how i was going to work my stud

What I'm getting from this, is that people try and buy birds from the same people.

At the moment I think I have the combination of 4 breeders birds, as well as the odd bird from elsewhere.

One group of 8 from one breeder, 2 from another (both of these groups I paid for)

4 birds from my club's chairman and 3 from another member (freebies)

And the odd bird I've found in pet shops.

Going off other's advice, I know I may have two much mixing going on. But live and learn.

However I shouldn't have to outcross now until I know I need a particular feature or fresh blood.

• Member ID:  5,830
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  290
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  1,590

My observation over nearly 50 years in the hobby, is that money does not make the breeder. Many people have tried to buy success but it has been short lived, they usually leave the hobby after a few years. The way to success is to develope the breeders eye. You must have a picture in your head of what you are trying to breed. If you can't keep it in your head, blow up some pictures of top birds and paste them on the wall in your breeding room, then pair up your birds trying to produce your ideal.

My story is different, I began breeding budgies at 7 years of age. I was a sick kid always ill, so I read a lot of budgie books and developed my own ideal in my head. I tried to breed budgies that pleased me [ I still do this] Some years later the President of the local budgie club came and visited me and talked me into joining the club. The following year I went to my first show where I won Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Champion Young Bird, Champion Adult and All the begginner trophies, after that show I was told I was now in Open section.

My point is this, you need to know what your trying to breed, otherwise you just pair up and hope. You need to develope an eye for a bird and if you can't you need to seek help from someone who already has one.

It is not about how big your wallet is, its about your ability as a breeder and your husbandry skills.

My best UBC's so far this year are from a small violet cock [well bred] but nothing flash, but I had a gut feeling he would produce good chicks and for once I've been proven right. I keep telling myself I should trust my instincts more but even after 50 years I get sucked in to breeding certain lines, possibly because of the reputation of the breeder instead of the quality of the bird.

Anyway I hope this makes sense its 3.45am so I should go to bed. Cheers Clearwing

• Member ID:  3,666
  • Group:  B.B.C Club Members
  • Topic Count:  80
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Achievement Points:  8,830
  • Birthday:  20/01/1966

Great post Clearwing :)

Agreed. Excellent post :)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

My observation over nearly 50 years in the hobby, is that money does not make the breeder. Many people have tried to buy success but it has been short lived, they usually leave the hobby after a few years. The way to success is to develope the breeders eye. You must have a picture in your head of what you are trying to breed. If you can't keep it in your head, blow up some pictures of top birds and paste them on the wall in your breeding room, then pair up your birds trying to produce your ideal.

My story is different, I began breeding budgies at 7 years of age. I was a sick kid always ill, so I read a lot of budgie books and developed my own ideal in my head. I tried to breed budgies that pleased me [ I still do this] Some years later the President of the local budgie club came and visited me and talked me into joining the club. The following year I went to my first show where I won Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, Champion Young Bird, Champion Adult and All the begginner trophies, after that show I was told I was now in Open section.

My point is this, you need to know what your trying to breed, otherwise you just pair up and hope. You need to develope an eye for a bird and if you can't you need to seek help from someone who already has one.

It is not about how big your wallet is, its about your ability as a breeder and your husbandry skills.

My best UBC's so far this year are from a small violet cock [well bred] but nothing flash, but I had a gut feeling he would produce good chicks and for once I've been proven right. I keep telling myself I should trust my instincts more but even after 50 years I get sucked in to breeding certain lines, possibly because of the reputation of the breeder instead of the quality of the bird.

Anyway I hope this makes sense its 3.45am so I should go to bed. Cheers Clearwing

i agree with its not your wallet its your vision :) you need to breed what pleases you not what pleases other or you will lost interest to quickly

if you win you win if not well you have your hobby as enjoyment regardless and beautiful birds that please your eye

yes their is certain things you must have for show these days like the feather but i proved to myself the other week that as long as i breed true to my want my look and in my own time then winning or coming up among the others is still possible

Yes I agree with you Gb and Clearwings post is a reminder of that.

I have a vision and I have basically bred that vision but it is keeping it going is the problem.But I now need to improve size also but first I need to cement my line of good birds and keep the size I have, my birds aren't small but they aren't real big either but as Geoff says are are in proportion (head and Body).

I am just hoping that this years breeding plans out the way I want.

Last year when I put my birds down, it was all planned out but I mostly had clear rounds so in the end I just chucked anything with anything and bred ****. :angry:

But this year I am pleased to say I have put down some pairs and they our some of my best birds and so far I have 20 fertile eggs, really happy. I just hope it all plans out the way I have planned.

Geoff has gave me a few birds and loaned my a few :D , mostly related to my birds (the Waston blood)and a couple of out crosses. A couple of the hens are really good with some really good directional feather. Thanks Geoff. Geoff is my mentor. :P:D

I need to find me a mentor :)

But I am also his aviary assistant, I look after his birds when him and his wife are working away, which is a lot. So then he looks after me :P