• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

I have heard more than once about some members who are falling away from their clubs due to lack of interest. When quizzed it is made clear to me that they have decided they cant compete either at their new open level or financially anymore.

Once you get to open level is this all there is to look forward to ? Either its time to shell out the BIG $$$$s or you dont show birds anymore as the bigger longstanding breeders in your club will pound you into the ground at every show ?

Some of these people have terrific birds but they are baulking at bringing their birds to shows now as a bigger more financial breeder is likely to make the show all their own and take home all the prizes.

If this is the way some breeders feel like they are suffocating and its all not worthwhile anymore, where are we headed ?

If the price of good birds is now dictated by those with deep pockets and our new club members are coming in for awhile becoming shocked and leaving, and those elevated to Open are now feeling like it isnt worth it anymore either financially or by competing, are we marking our own clubs death warrants ?

Any thoughts ?

Solutions ?

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Very true, if you are on a limited income it is very hard to be able to afford decent birds. I for one can't afford it.

I am stuck breeding with my own birds, which is okay for the time being but next year I will need to buy some quality outcrosses but my income doesn't allow it. So yes where do I go from here.

Last year I bought a pair for a couple hundred most I have ever spent on birds 2 birds and the hen has never come into condition, her keel bone is pointy. I am afraid I wasted my money, and I don't have the money to waste. But the cock is okay but the hen is much better than the cock which I was very disappointed about.

• Member ID:  6,051
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  112
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  675

Sounds like it. Im suprised at the $. value of the birds thats for sure

• Member ID:  5,641
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  205
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  1,295

I have heard more than once about some members who are falling away from their clubs due to lack of interest. When quizzed it is made clear to me that they have decided they cant compete either at their new open level or financially anymore.

Once you get to open level is this all there is to look forward to ? Either its time to shell out the BIG $$s or you dont show birds anymore as the bigger longstanding breeders in your club will pound you into the ground at every show ?

Some of these people have terrific birds but they are baulking at bringing their birds to shows now as a bigger more financial breeder is likely to make the show all their own and take home all the prizes.

If this is the way some breeders feel like they are suffocating and its all not worthwhile anymore, where are we headed ?

If the price of good birds is now dictated by those with deep pockets and our new club members are coming in for awhile becoming shocked and leaving, and those elevated to Open are now feeling like it isnt worth it anymore either financially or by competing, are we marking our own clubs death warrants ?

Any thoughts ?

Solutions ?

I know two breeders that have never spent a lot on budgerigars,yet they have won many grand championship awards,simply because of there skill as breeders.They produce quality birds year after year without spending a fortune,they are true breeders of budgerigars, not buyers of budgerigars.

• Member ID:  6,658
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  520
  • Birthday:  01/03/1953

Once you get to open level is this all there is to look forward to ? Either its time to shell out the BIG $$s or you dont show birds anymore as the bigger longstanding breeders in your club will pound you into the ground at every show ?

Any thoughts ?

Solutions ?

I know two breeders that have never spent a lot on budgerigars,yet they have won many grand championship awards,simply because of there skill as breeders.They produce quality birds year after year without spending a fortune,they are true breeders of budgerigars, not buyers of budgerigars.

Hi yes it appears that on the big island that what you say may be true $$$$ count on many fronts We only spend money on purchases that we have made from sales of culls but they can be hard to move on some occasions as we only have a small population in tassie. We dont show to win (yes it is nice to win) we use it as a yardstick to measure improvement in our birds. I know this is a bit radical but maybe their should not be any winners but a grading system be introduced for example SUPERIOUR for top birds EXCELLANT for the next level GOOD, AVERAGE & POOR etc look forward to seeing other views. CHEERS from UNDER DOWNUNDER TAZ D

• Member ID:  5,835
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  361
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,075

PJ is right , You should be learning to breed a better bird , Not buy it . But then this brings us to the way the world is today and thats everyone can have everything instantily .

The hobby doesnt have to be expensive if you dont want it to be , My best bird was bred from an outlay of $100 for stock birds and Three generations later.

I always look at things different , If I was to Quit the Hobby that is the Exhibition of Pedigree Budgies. I would still have an aviary of pet budgies So I believe that when people leave and sell out its got to do with other factors.

Also , If you are elevated to a higher status you have the right to appeal the regrading if you feel it is not warranted, Example you maybe a lesser variety breeder and gain points due to lack of exibits at shows and are elevated to quickly.

The hobby is what YOU make it .

• Member ID:  3,340
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Content Count:  4,891
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  27,770
  • Birthday:  13/05/1958

Very True Phill, Tazi and Matt.

Plus any one can go out and spend thousands on birds if their pocket are deep enough BUT unless they know what they are doing most times it is a waste of money.

I know quite a few beginners who want to get to the top fast so spend large amounts of money on quality stock.

Where's some one like me starting with someones $20.00 culls, I think i have done quite well to date.

• Member ID:  4,396
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  307
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  1,810
  • Birthday:  21/04/1974

I think the success thing has broader context - as a society we have become insatiable in the need for INSTANT outcomes. Everything needs to be instantaenous or we dont value it.

Breeding Quality Budgies ( and most other forms of livestock) takes a long time, sure people can go to a top breeder and purchase a pair and win shows the next year. But how do they pair those birds the next year, without the assistance of the original breeder and without really knowing those birds.

As for people getting disheartened with showing, because "so and so" is showing i think that also reflects on the instant society. The saying of "i show my birds so i can see it beaten by a better bird" definately applies, we show birds to get an idea of where improvemenst need to be made, and then incorporated these into our breeding plan for the next year.

• Member ID:  5,023
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,608
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  8,635

Yep with you there Heathrow!

And in relation to spending big $...... well there are those that can and those that can't. And in relation to breeding winners....... well there are those that can and those that can't. Some of us hide the fact that we can't by spending substantial $ on buying birds in. Cheque book breeders I think they are called. I can think of a number of breeders in WA who have had amazing families of birds (one or two generations in from purchasing in super birds) and over time those families disappear from their stud. Why is that I wonder?..... (rhetorical question there).

Those of us who can't breed winners AND can't afford to buy in birds are kinda stuck unless they can develop their abilities to pair the right birds. And some of us in that category are happy enough with the hobby for entirely different reasons than winning. The social side, the birds themselves or just seeing those babies pop out every year. Whatever.

• Member ID:  5,913
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  362
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  2,045
  • Birthday:  08/05/1969

The hobby is in decline world wide and Gerald S Binks is addressing the problems on Budgerigar.co.uk.

When you put time and money into your birds you naturally want to get results from your hard work.

Time is the biggest problem and thats why it tends to suit retired people. Where's the juniors in our clubs aren't they the future of our hobby?

How many under 50's are there in your club, not many I would think, which make it hard for young families to meet others with kids so they can build friendships.