• Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

I have lost two budgies and a cockatiel to the great outdoors. I'd like to think that they found good homes but what is more likely is that they died within the week.

Personally, I am a violent person and would slap anybody who told me they were releasing their captive birds - right across their face.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  6,577
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  133
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  750

Here,here Ratzy. I fumed for days. Couldn't believe the sheer stupidity, ignorance, enviromental vandalism and everything else in between. I also shared this nonsense (in the very real meaning of the word) with other budgie lovers/breeders further afield......the general reaction being "you have got to be kidding?" Enough said.

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

Personally, I think that some of you are actually being very rude. Even though we are only typing in words, simple courtesy should still be held. Saying that if you ever met Pop's in face, you would slap them, thinking that this is a joke or a troll, saying everything is his fault, it is all incredibly rude. Saying " The sheer stupidity, ignorance and enviromental vandalism"..... No one here cannot tell me that this is not rude. How would you like it if you made a simple decision, about an animal you are none too knowledgeable about, to be virtually , slapped across the face at the sheer rudeness of some. Pop's came on here, asking a simple question, trying to learn more. This is a budgie forum, were you ask questions and give help to people that don't have the same amount of information as others!

I have followed the progress of this thread, and it has got quite out of hand I think. I am sure that Pop's understands that what he is doing is potentially harming to the two birds. Yes, It was wrong to let a captive-bred budgie free. I am sure that Pop's understand's that. How does anyone here even know that Gladiator is a captive bred budgie? her parent's could have been escaped feral birds for all we know. As Kaz mentioned at the start of the thread, She has quite possibly evolved further, so that she knows how to cope with enemy birds and know's how to survive. I am sure that Pop's has been scolded enough, maybe we should all just try and offer our support for him, Gladiator and Pretty Boy.

Edited by Squeak_Crumble

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

And also to the moderators of this site I think you should condemn these actions even if they were made with good intentions. Personally I can not and never will condone this behaviour.

Bren, if you read all of the posts in this topic, you will see that a number of staff members have commented on the behavior of the member who started this topic. I myself have made many posts stating my opinion.

• Member ID:  5,135
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  2,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Achievement Points:  14,055
  • Birthday:  06/08/1965

Ratzy and Hezz, Squeak has a good point, your comments are pushing the limits of rudeness. We should state our differences of opinions without using insults or threats of physical violence.

But Squeak, I don't see how we can support and encourage someone who has purposely gone against all the advice he actually sought out on his own and ignored. Besides, Pops doesn't sound like someone who needs defending. He sounds like he is unbothered by our opposing positions, and is going to do what he wants regardless.

I'm actually glad that he hasn't run away from the forum. I would like to know how this turns out. I haven't stated any of my opinions about the situation yet, but I have been feeling that Gladiator would have stood a better chance of survival if she had not been given a mate. Breeding is stressful on a bird's body, and I have seen hens lose condition and get sick and run down while feeding chicks. I think she was better off sitting on infertile eggs, and I hate to think of what may happen once she has mouths to feed.

• Member ID:  5,236
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  1,025
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,515
  • Birthday:  11/06/1997

But Squeak, I don't see how we can support and encourage someone who has purposely gone against all the advice he actually sought out on his own and ignored. Besides, Pops doesn't sound like someone who needs defending. He sounds like he is unbothered by our opposing positions, and is going to do what he wants regardless.

No, Not encourage, But just offer information and support . Even though Pop's hasn't replied for a while, hopefully some of the information we are giving him may be helping. Even if the change isn't immediate, maybe one day these little birdies will lead a safer life.

• Member ID:  6,623
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  105

Mmmm hot topic on the Sunday. Didall of you put in a good word for me at Church this morning? lol

And now I’m branded a thief bya bren and threatened with a slap in the face by Ratzy, the irresponsibleBirder.

Just to let you Drama Queensknow, I did make an effort and asked my close neighbors if anyone knowsanything about an escaped budgie.

There are just so many doorsone is able to knock on.

Bren, our Spaniels go for awalk/run 3 times a week and this will shock you, without leashes bren, yes freeto run and run like a hunting dogs, which they are and should be able to do.

I’d say that most of youhonorable members have never seen and never will see what I do. A Budgie inhigh speed “free flight” and I see it every day.

Thank you for the support Squeak_Cand Finnie, however the Budgie was evolved by the Good Lord millions of yearsago and has remained unchanged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budgerigar

Surely God never developed theBudgie to be locked up in a cage. If he did, why did he give them wings?

Yes I did go ahead against goodadvice and successfully released a hand reared Budgie into my garden.

However, all the advice wasbased on emotion and not fact. I’m pleased that it was, so far, successful andwill I do it again if Pretty Boy had to fly off. No.

Will they ever be caught andcaged. NEVER. (only if a Avian Vet is required)

I’ll stick my neck out and saymy birds are stronger than any of yours. They have “free flight” surely thecorrect muscles are developed for good health, not hopping legs.

Mineral and calcium slabs areprovided for and an assortment of seeds, fruit and water are given daily.Budgies are social birds so 2 is better than 1.

As long as I supply protectivehousing, fresh food and water, I can’t see any reason why they won’t have agood, happy and long life in my Garden

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Hey Pops........................not everyone on here has budgies in smallish cages........some of us have large aviaries where we can see them fly fast and long and at speed. There is a diverse group of people who own and keep budgies and we all have our opinions, some stronger than others.

My only hope and wish for you and your budgies is that they flourish and do well despite evidence to the contrary and would love it if you were able to prove many of us wrong over a longer period of time.

Best of luck Kaz :D

PS interestingly some who have expressed stronger opinions in a not so nice way have, in the past, done some pretty wrong stuff while they were learning what they were about their birds..................so in some cases pots can call a kettle black ....or not :D

Edited by **KAZ**

Hi KAZ

Glad to have you on board. I'm happy to hear your budgies are able to reach top speed. Nothing worse than seeing these little birds in a box cage. The way they sway to and fro reminds me the Russians Bears in a Baghdad Zoo.

I have the great pleasure of being able to bird watch in my own Garden.

The wild sparrows are very quick off the mark and reach top speed in a straight line in just a few flaps.

Budgies are a little slower off the mark. They drop off in a long swoop to get to top speed. They remind me of a WW2 Spitfire. Same wing shape as well.

With there perfectly painted body's, they do bring so much joy into our lives.

I'm not exactly " on board" Pops but I hope it works out for you just the same. Evidence and experience says otherwise but you may be the exception to that rule.

We all do stuff in our learning phases........some of that stuff good and some bad. As long as the birds dont suffer in our learning processes.

Only time will tell with your situation. :)

lol.

okay KAZ, got that, i'm on on my own. Bet you also scared of Ratz

I will keep this forum updated with my "cruel and selfish experiment", even if it means i'll be bombarded with "I told you so"

Now back to my question to you KAZ quite a few posts back.

Do Budgies lay eggs in winter?

Well now there are 2eggs now. I don't know if they are futile and if they are, now what?

I bet that has just opened me up to another round of verbal lashes.rolleyes.gif

lol.

okay KAZ, got that, i'm on on my own. Bet you also scared of Ratz

I will keep this forum updated with my "cruel and selfish experiment", even if it means i'll be bombarded with "I told you so"

Now back to my question to you KAZ quite a few posts back.

Do Budgies lay eggs in winter?

Well now there are 2eggs now. I don't know if they are futile and if they are, now what?

I bet that has just opened me up to another round of verbal lashes.rolleyes.gif

Budgies will lay eggs all year round if conditions are right. Conditions being, a safe place to lay the eggs, being in good healthy condition and having plentiful food. Once the eggs are at the 5-6 days old stage you can put a strong light behind them ( leave them where they are ) and point the torchlight forward to where you can see and if you see reddish spidery veins it means the eggs are fertile and will produce chicks if all goes well. Once she begins to stay on the eggs all the time ( incubation) you count 18-21 days to chicks hatching. Chicks hatch every two days mostly as they were laid every two days. Sometimes two chicks will hatch the first days they are due.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  5,628
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  1,283
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  8,095
  • Birthday:  26/03/1998

Sorry guys, I really should hold my tongue a lot of the time. Just touchy subject for me.

I'll try to stay out of this thread then :)

( Yeah, I'm a really intimidating 13 year old! )

Sorry guys, I really should hold my tongue a lot of the time. Just touchy subject for me.

I'll try to stay out of this thread then :)

( Yeah, I'm a really intimidating 13 year old! )

Ratzy.............we ALL suffer foot in mouth on occasions or have the need to go off on subjects that are emotive. No shame there. Its about the passion we have for our birds.

AND we all have been through our lessons ...good and bad while we learn to become better bird keepers.

:)

• Member ID:  4,737
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,156
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Achievement Points:  28,240
  • Birthday:  08/09/1973

well i know my post was long but if you did read it pops i too had free birds so i know the joys you refer to when talking of sitting out in garden to enjoy them

im not totally for what you have done but its no different to what i did as a child

only i did close my flight to their freedom but it was mainly due to peoples interference and them thinking they were helping me get my birds back

the book i read about homing birds as pets stated budgies have a territorial area of 500 k surrounds and thats the only reason i tryed it as thats not really that far if you think about it

now im older im positive its a croc of you know what

i do not think i would ever say i told you so

but i also would not say populating the area with budgies is a good idea either

you say you will relocate chicks but to be honest if your so into them being free

i dont see that happening

however

i do hope you are able to maintain their health and where their is seed their will be your budgies free as can be until day they pass

as so long as you feed them and they have a nest hollow their they will stay

that much i do know

so

good luck and i do hope you do just stick to the two flying free not add chicks to the picture i do hope you do re-home(the chicks ) them so as the population of birds does not keep growing wild budgies will mate at 4 weeks old their like flying rabbits to be honest

and im not to sure the young would stick around like mum in dad

time i guess will tell

and please do stay around you actually crack me up

i love your honest words :)

even if i dont totally agree with your actions i totally understand them

• Member ID:  5,682
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  21
  • Achievement Points:  150
  • Birthday:  08/05/1981

Sorry if I have offended anyone and yes Maesie I totally agree with you. And Pops it can not be denied you have a good heart. I don't want to get in a slanging match with anyone. Just my main concern is that there might be copycats and this may start a trend of releasing budgies into the wild. I was fuming yesterday and I will probably refrain myself from posting further on this thread due to my strong opinion.

One last thing Pops, the information your fellow members have given you is based on facts, not emotion as you have stated. You would be well advised to not be so stubborn and listen to the knowledge you are being given from many, many years of experience.

and I will probably refrain myself from posting further on this thread due to my strong opinion.

Promise ?

Edited by Pops

Lol, definitely no promise, and I am glad you have not run away from the thread despite all the opinionated people like me (shows you have guts to stand up for what you believe, and I respect that quality). And like I have said I know you have a good heart, but understand it is an issue that will definitly cause a lot of passionate debate. And despite all I have posted I am still curious as to how it all turns out, and I hope you keep posting updates. No hard feelings.

But I think your case is probably an isolated one and I just don't want people to start releasing budgies into the wild.

Edited by bren

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

I have been following this thread but not posting in it alot. I have bit my tongue several times but l'm going to say something after all.

I can see both views on this and can tell Pop's doe's not mean any harm towards the budgie's. I can only imagine how it feels to see the birds enjoying their freedom but for me, I could not do it. Since l could not help myself and worry about them all the time. I would be worried about all of the neighboring cats and wild predator birds, snakes, and all other natural predator's out there seeing them as easy targets.

I myself would strongly not recommend other's doing this.