• Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  336
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  2,585
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1984

So I've got two budgie boys left and I think they're starting to get lazy. As much as they have each other now, they don't move around as much as they used to and are quite content with being in their cages... Boring! (and unhealthy, I think)

I already tried once to introduce a new female budgie. I had bought her adult in a petstore and ended up not trusting her (There's female violent and then there's nutcase violent.) so I returned her to the store. I'm just wondering what to do now. I have to deal with my mom that keeps saying "We need two new females or else they're going to fight like they did with Blue before we got rid of him" and then I have to wonder how I'm gonna do the introductions so it goes all smoothly... The last thing I want is to be stuck doing the police of jealousy again.

I wonder, do I need to get a baby girl? Or should I get one that is at least mature so they're not having to deal with a youth? I've been eyeing a budgie on sale who is female and who is supposedly already tame. Do you guys think there could be problems?

Also, do I need two girls for real? One for each so there's no battle?

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Why do you think you need a girl budgie at all ?? You have two boys living in harmony and you want to add another.......then add another male. Females always bicker and peck at others over space and possession of cage things. A young or baby female will be subject to advances from the boys that she is too young to handle thereby giving her stress. The boys will fight over her which changes their relationship, and two females would make the bickering and possessive stuff even worse.

Why ( again I say ) get a female at all ? Better off getting another male if you want another budgie. Make sure the cage is big enough for three.

Edited by **KAZ**

• Member ID:  3,438
  • Followers:  0

That's a good point... I guess it's because I would wish to eventually breed my boys. I miss that part a lot. But see, I had gotten rid of a male in the past because the two guys were fighting over him now that Bud was gone. She used to be the center of attention of the three guys but she would police the process and there never was any fight. When she died, the guys started fighting over the third bird. Like... really nasty fights.

I figured too that a girl would get them moving a bit more too.

EDIT: I should add that it didn't bother me to get rid of Blue. He was wild and untameable, and really untrusting of humans. I don't blame him. Now he's happy enough ignoring humans with his other budgie friend at my mother's workplace. She's taking care of them both.

Edited by Michelle

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

There will be no guarantee that a new budgie wont mean fighting. Its a personality thing. Best getting another male not a female regardless of future ambitions for breeding. One female and two males will mean fights and seperating of existing relationships. Just because one female you once had kept the peace doesnt mean another will.

Do not forget quarantine..........another cage in another room and another airspace at least 5-6 metres away for minimum 30 days.

• Member ID:  3,438

That's disappointing... Maybe I'm best leaving the two guys live their lives then. Thanks :D

• 2 weeks later...

• Member ID:  5,925
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  114
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  730

It's best to have an even number of budgies if possible. This way there is always someone to talk to. If they were fighting over the third budgie, it was probably because one of them didn't want be alone. If your two boys are happy, then I wouldn't change anything. If you're worried about them being inactive, try some different toys and hide food or hang food in places where they have to work to get at it.