• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  500
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hello! this cage is going to be for one bird pebbles, he and sparky dont get along anymore so best to seperate them. I will be leaving the cage door open for pebbles he loves to fly around the room.

How should I set up this cage for him? I also have a round table they like to hop onto with a bowl of water thy like to swim in and a few toys and grit.

Any tips and ideas would be good.

Also i will be moving them both into a small/medium room when i get it sorted out.

So I can tame them both sepratly.

Also any tips how to set up a budgie room?

Im renting the flat so dont want to much stuff. lol. Thanks if you can help out!

Picture 1:

http://i48.tinypic.com/294s9i8.jpg

Pictur 2: CLose up

http://i50.tinypic.com/2cy9li.jpg

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  5,207
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  617
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  3,480

I would not use those skinny dowel perches. I would have 2 perches made of varying thicknesses e.g. small gum tree branches. I would place them on either side of the cage along the short sides so that your bird has the maximum flying distance between the two perches. The perches would be quite high up in the cage.

I would allow a clear flight passage unhindered by toys. That would also mean that you could leave a bathing dish or food dish on the floor of the cage without there being a danger of poop landing in it. Dishes on the floor will encourage your bird to move around the cage as much as possible.

I would put pieces of washed bottle brush in the cage for your budgie to wreck. Pebbles will enjoy doing that.

• Member ID:  5,533

I would not use those skinny dowel perches. I would have 2 perches made of varying thicknesses e.g. small gum tree branches. I would place them on either side of the cage along the short sides so that your bird has the maximum flying distance between the two perches. The perches would be quite high up in the cage.

I would allow a clear flight passage unhindered by toys. That would also mean that you could leave a bathing dish or food dish on the floor of the cage without there being a danger of poop landing in it. Dishes on the floor will encourage your bird to move around the cage as much as possible.

I would put pieces of washed bottle brush in the cage for your budgie to wreck. Pebbles will enjoy doing that.

Hello Cathrine,

Thanks for your ideas ad tips they have helped muchly! Its been rianing lots laltey so i havnt been able to go outside to look for branches... Can budgies eat alfalfa? We dont have much bottle brush trees around here. I have put some lettace in cage and they are scared of it. I guess they've never have had lettace before. Poor budgies.

• Member ID:  4,257
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  981
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  6,495
  • Birthday:  28/07/1993

I am not entirly cetian but I do believe budgie can have Alfalfa. I would however wait for more replys as for Lettuce it is not entirely great for them, as it is mainly made up of water and will give them diarrea.

Hope I could be of a small help.

Jodie.

I am not entirly cetian but I do believe budgie can have Alfalfa. I would however wait for more replys as for Lettuce it is not entirely great for them, as it is mainly made up of water and will give them diarrea.

Hope I could be of a small help.

Jodie.

Thank Jodie that did help. I'll uy some alfalf tomorro and see f that will help!

Yes i heard about lettace not good for budgies but not entirerly sure.

Cheers!

Hello Cathrine,

Thanks for your ideas ad tips they have helped muchly! Its been rianing lots laltey so i havnt been able to go outside to look for branches... Can budgies eat alfalfa? We dont have much bottle brush trees around here. I have put some lettace in cage and they are scared of it. I guess they've never have had lettace before. Poor budgies.

Grevillea is great if there is no bottle brush or some leafy twigs from gum trees (always washed).

Alfalfa is fine. I think the budgies would be more interested in sprouted mung beans than alfalfa because there is something to chew on. (My birds love them.) I suggest you sprout them yourself because you can do the exact quantity you need rather than waste a whole pack from the supermarket. You can buy raw mung beans at seed merchants and health food shops.

Lettuce is not recommended. It can cause problems with excessive pooping and it has no nutritional value for the birds. Instead, I suggest you put in a leaf of silver beet or a leaf of bok choy or similar vegetable. Just poke the leaf through the cage bars. The birds will regard it as a toy to wreck but any they eat is beneficial. Always wash their vegies very carefully.

Edited by Catherine

Hello Cathrine,

Grevillea is great if there is no bottle brush or some leafy twigs from gum trees (always washed).

Alfalfa is fine. I think the budgies would be more interested in sprouted mung beans than alfalfa because there is something to chew on. (My birds love them.) I suggest you sprout them yourself because you can do the exact quantity you need rather than waste a whole pack from the supermarket. You can buy raw mung beans at seed merchants and health food shops.

Lettuce is not recommended. It can cause problems with excessive pooping and it has no nutritional value for the birds. Instead, I suggest you put in a leaf of silver beet or a leaf of bok choy or similar vegetable. Just poke the leaf through the cage bars. The birds will regard it as a toy to wreck but any they eat is beneficial. Always wash their vegies very carefully.

Thanks Cathrine! What does Grevillea look like and Bok Choy? Never heard of them!

I have bought some alfalfa sprouts ( i love eating them myself if the birds wont lol) I washed them and stuck some in the cage with a peg holding it. They arnt taking any intrest in it so far. I'll wait for a few hours or more.

I also bought some cerly and carrots Washed them and shred the carrots and put them in a bowl on the floor of cage, both arnt taking interest in them. I guess they are wondering what they are lol.

Okay I wonuse Lettacee thanks.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Celery doesn't have much goodness either, like lettuce too much water. Bok Choy looks a little like cos lettuce... it's small and thin looking. It's dark green and you get it from the fresh food section of the supermarket. Corn on the cob goes down well in my cage/avairy too. I have a fruit skewer which you shove through the cob and hang. To encourage my birds to try new things, I shred them or cut them up and palce them in a dish/bowl and sprinkle them with seed. It often helps to put them in the same size and colour dish as what you already serve their seed in. This way they won't be scared of the new dish, and may try the new food whilst eating their seed.

Celery doesn't have much goodness either, like lettuce too much water. Bok Choy looks a little like cos lettuce... it's small and thin looking. It's dark green and you get it from the fresh food section of the supermarket. Corn on the cob goes down well in my cage/avairy too. I have a fruit skewer which you shove through the cob and hang. To encourage my birds to try new things, I shred them or cut them up and palce them in a dish/bowl and sprinkle them with seed. It often helps to put them in the same size and colour dish as what you already serve their seed in. This way they won't be scared of the new dish, and may try the new food whilst eating their seed.

Hello Maesie,

okay I'll see if Coles has Bok Choy. Good tip about putting veggies in the same coloured dish. I have the veggies in the Green dish cos the other dishes are see through plastic ones. Thanks for ur tip and advice! :)

Grevillea looks like this but there are lots of different kinds: Grevillea

Bok choy will be with the Chinese vegetables in the supermarket. Others include pak choy (which is fine, too). Bok choy

Grevillea looks like this but there are lots of different kinds: Grevillea

Bok choy will be with the Chinese vegetables in the supermarket. Others include pak choy (which is fine, too). Bok choy

okay Um i dont think we have Bokchoy here in nsw. The budgies didnt touch any of their vegies at all :P