• Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,385
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  26/11/1992

I am hand feeding two babies, and I am giving them a formula from the pet shop, and I am doing what the recipe says: 1 part food, 2 parts water, but they are three weeks old and have runny poos since I have been feeding them. Can I make it thicker than the recipe says? They always seem to be hungry, and im wondering if it is because there is more water than food in the mix?

How often do I have to feed them? Do I have to wake up in the night to feed them? They have been waking me up about 6am to be fed, and their crops are empty.

How often should i heat their wheatbag? I usually do it every 3-5 hours when I feed them, would that be enough heat for them?

Thanks for your help in advance, I always get great answers from you guys. :(

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Most formulas say that you change the mixture strength as the chicks get older. Runnier is usually for very young babies :(

• Member ID:  3,515
  • Followers:  0

Thanks KAZ,

It does say that on the packet, I am doing what they say for this age, but it stills seems too runny.

Edited by budgieloverkirsty

Thanks KAZ,

It does say that on the packet, I am doing what they say for this age, but it stills seems too runny.

If it seems too runny change it, but also be aware that runny poos might mean they are getting tummy bugs too and you must be careful to keep all feeding utensils clean. Never reheat left over formula either as it can introduce bacteria to their gut.

Thanks KAZ,

If it seems too runny change it, but also be aware that runny poos might mean they are getting tummy bugs too and you must be careful to keep all feeding utensils clean. Never reheat left over formula either as it can introduce bacteria to their gut.

I am worried that they might not get enough liquid if I make it thicker?

If you are using a spoon or syringe you just have to make it managable for however you are feeding it. If you ever feel a budgie babies crop you will know it isnt all mushy liquid...it also has seeds and vegies from the parents. Three week olds get a lot of seed fed by their parents. I would start trying them on BUDGIE STARTER off a spoon about now.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  4,902
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  872
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  5,070
  • Birthday:  27/10/1957

What type of hand rearing mix are you using?

• Member ID:  5,698
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  160
  • Birthday:  21/01/1987

I am hand feeding two babies, and I am giving them a formula from the pet shop, and I am doing what the recipe says: 1 part food, 2 parts water, but they are three weeks old and have runny poos since I have been feeding them. Can I make it thicker than the recipe says? They always seem to be hungry, and im wondering if it is because there is more water than food in the mix?

How often do I have to feed them? Do I have to wake up in the night to feed them? They have been waking me up about 6am to be fed, and their crops are empty.

How often should i heat their wheatbag? I usually do it every 3-5 hours when I feed them, would that be enough heat for them?

Thanks for your help in advance, I always get great answers from you guys. B)

Hi Budgieloverkirsty,

I'm also hand feeding two young ones practically the same age as yours! I'm now feeding them 3 times a day but you could do 4 if you wanted, I don't think you really need to do more than that though unless you feel they're not eating enough. I try to even it out as much as possible so they get feed about 8am, 1pm and 6pm.

I use the instructions for the formula as a guide only. I heat up the water then add small amounts to the food stirring it in until I get the thickness that I like. I used to do it really runny but now they get a slightly thicker mix.

I have read that it is good for their crops to completely empty once a day ... I forget why though :( (As long as you're not starving them!) By the way my babies are always hungry too. I don't disturb them once they've eaten because if I do they just want to be feed again and then a fight erupts over who gets first dibs!

Hope this helps,

Kathleen.

What type of hand rearing mix are you using?
I am using Avion, I think that is how to spell it, the Pet Shop divide it up themselves.
I am hand feeding two babies, and I am giving them a formula from the pet shop, and I am doing what the recipe says: 1 part food, 2 parts water, but they are three weeks old and have runny poos since I have been feeding them. Can I make it thicker than the recipe says? They always seem to be hungry, and im wondering if it is because there is more water than food in the mix?How often do I have to feed them? Do I have to wake up in the night to feed them? They have been waking me up about 6am to be fed, and their crops are empty.How often should i heat their wheatbag? I usually do it every 3-5 hours when I feed them, would that be enough heat for them?Thanks for your help in advance, I always get great answers from you guys. :rofl:
Hi Budgieloverkirsty,I'm also hand feeding two young ones practically the same age as yours! I'm now feeding them 3 times a day but you could do 4 if you wanted, I don't think you really need to do more than that though unless you feel they're not eating enough. I try to even it out as much as possible so they get feed about 8am, 1pm and 6pm.I use the instructions for the formula as a guide only. I heat up the water then add small amounts to the food stirring it in until I get the thickness that I like. I used to do it really runny but now they get a slightly thicker mix.I have read that it is good for their crops to completely empty once a day ... I forget why though :WobbleSign: (As long as you're not starving them!) By the way my babies are always hungry too. I don't disturb them once they've eaten because if I do they just want to be feed again and then a fight erupts over who gets first dibs!Hope this helps,Kathleen.
Thanks for that, How often do I need to heat their Wheat Bag, I now have all 3 babies hand feeding as the Foster Mum now has 6 babies, so 7 would be too many, and the youngest one only has pin feathers starting on its wings, its about 2 weeks old, so will he need heat more often?Kirsty
If you are using a spoon or syringe you just have to make it managable for however you are feeding it. If you ever feel a budgie babies crop you will know it isnt all mushy liquid...it also has seeds and vegies from the parents. Three week olds get a lot of seed fed by their parents. I would start trying them on BUDGIE STARTER off a spoon about now.
Thanks KAZ,I am now feeding them off a spoon with a thicker mixture.Kirsty

• Member ID:  5,698
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  160
  • Birthday:  21/01/1987

Thanks for that, How often do I need to heat their Wheat Bag, I now have all 3 babies hand feeding as the Foster Mum now has 6 babies, so 7 would be too many, and the youngest one only has pin feathers starting on its wings, its about 2 weeks old, so will he need heat more often?Kirsty

Hi Kirsty,

As to how often you need to heat their wheat bag ... I can't really say :) Sorry. I don't use wheat bags. At 2 weeks of age by babies were in a 2 litre ice cream container (they've now been upgraded to a 4L) with pine shavings inside. They're then rapped in a tea towel which covers the top and 3 sides leaving a small gap on the last side for air, I then place this in one of those small plastic storage containers (not sure what they're called?) with the lid placed on an angle and the whole thing on a coffee table. I find this stops cold drafts while still allowing air in and keeps them really warm! When I get them out they're warm to the touch and they're healthy so that's all that matters.

If you plan on hand feeding more chicks in the future or if you think you might use it again you could always buy/use a thermometer and moniter their boxes temperature, I think ideally it should be between 25-30 degrees. I suppose it depends on what type of setup you have your babies in and how warm they are without the wheat bag. I've read that if in the nestbox their mum stops sitting on them by the time they are 16 days old, so the only heat they get is by their mum and siblings sitting next to them to share warmth.

Regards,

Kathleen.

I would start trying them on BUDGIE STARTER off a spoon about now.

at the age they are now, feeding budgie starter which has seeds and a lumpier texture will healp wean them onto seed.