• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  230
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/01/1992

Hi guys,

In a couple of months I would like to start breeding a pair of budgies. I believe that I have done alot of research and I have the space and money to sucessfully breed budgies, in a couple of months I believe I will have sufficent information to breed them safely. I have been doing alot of research, flicking through the entire faq's section and breeding section, printing out articles which I think will be good reference for me in the future and Ive also read through the requirements to breed sucessfully and I think I'm ready.

This is the setup I have in mind:, I have am going out this weekend to buy a breeding cage which meets the requirements stated in the pinned topics in the breeding section, I will post photos when I buy it. Assuming I safely breed my budgies I will move them to the main aviary, there is a link at the bottom of my post for the cage I ordered for the main aviary and I also have a nursery cage which I will post photos of. After the babies fledge and are ready to move on I will move them to the nursery and the parents go back in the main aviary, after three months or after they moult I will move them to the main aviary aswell. The last point which I made I'm unsure of as I do not know if the parents go in the nursery cage aswell or if they go directly back to the aviary. I am aware of the diet and close monitoring the chicks and parents will need until they are ready to go in the main aviary.

Please let me know if I am wrong about somthing or just let me know if the setup is correct.

Aviary cage on order:

http://www.crazysales.com.au/large-sized-b...6-cm_p7055.html

Thanks

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Admirable that you are preparing so well and researching :thumbs_up:

The last point which I made I'm unsure of as I do not know if the parents go in the nursery cage aswell or if they go directly back to the aviary.

as for the last point............its always best to rest breeding parents after raising babies either in a seperate cage or the kindie cage before they go back into the aviary. It gives them time to build up their reserves and feed well before battling the heirarchy in the aviary :)

• Member ID:  3,092
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  103
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,831
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Achievement Points:  21,560
  • Birthday:  23/05/1975

I look forward to seeing the birds you breed.

• Member ID:  5,503
  • Topic Count:  7

Thanks Kaz, I will see if I can get a kindy cage to rest the parents in. Dave, the birds I breed will most probably be the pair I discussed with you a while back, that is if you will still have them when I am fully prepared. :thumbs_up:. Kaz, approximetly how long do the parents need to be rested for until they are ready to go in the main aviary, is their signs you need to look for from the parents to see if they are ready to go back ?

Edited by luvbir1

Kaz, approximetly how long do the parents need to be rested for until they are ready to go in the main aviary, is their signs you need to look for from the parents to see if they are ready to go back ?

Generally a couple of weeks is plenty.

Is it necessary to rest the parents if their is only two other budgies in the main aviary?

• Member ID:  3,449
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  987
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  5,965

Good luck with your breeding. I'm looking forward to seeing your birds.

Is it necessary to rest the parents if their is only two other budgies in the main aviary?

It has nothing to do with how many other budgies you have. Breeding takes a lot out of a pair of budgies. Quite often at the end they feed babies so much and do not feed themselves as well. They feel thin by the time babies leave the nest and they have been through a lot. Keeping them resting for a fortnight allows them to gain weight back and to be healthy before they go out in the aviary.

Makes sense :emoticon112:, I thought it had it to do with other budgies in the aviary which the parents would find hard to cope with but anyway, I will find a good sized kindy cage. I wont be doing any breeding until my outdoor shed is built, I'm still researching the prices and what sort of shed I will need so if people have some ideas about outdoor sheds that would be great. I plan on putting my cockatiel cage in the shed along with the budgie aviary I'm getting, their will be one breeding cage, one nursery cage and one kindy cage. Since I'm only breeding one pair just to start of with I'm not going to make a big aviary, though if things are successfully in my first attempt at breeding, in the future I am thinking of building a small section in the shed to rest the parents, instead of using an aviary cage I would build a suspended aviary which I have access to from inside the shed, I would use my aviary cage for breeding cockatiels in future and I would probably use the kindy cage for resting cockatiel parents if I do breed them. But thats in the future if things go to plan, for now I'm only breeding one pair and I will see how I go.