Budgie Chewing Advice

Hi everyone.

I'm a fairly new member of the forum, although I have been visiting for a while as a guest (you can see a question I posted as a guest a while back here.

I still have the same budgie I mentioned in that post. My dear Blue.)

I have a question regarding budgie's chewing habits.

I know that budgies need to chew on soft wood to keep their beaks trimmed. Blue recently chewed almost completely through the top two rungs of his wooden ladder (recently = in the last 6 months). I just bought him a new one, and he's started up chewing it again. I know its because he needs to do it, but I would much prefer him to chew on popsicle sticks or something similar.

Can anyone recommend something good for him to chew on? And possibly a way of getting him to chew on that instead of the ladder? I've tried putting popsicle sticks in the cage near the top rung of the ladder, but I can't get them to stay anchored enough for him to chew successfully (pegs are the best way I could figure of anchoring them, any other ideas?)

Thanks and regards,

Syslox!

I would try and make a foraging toy for him. if you do a search for captive foraging on the forums there are some good cheap idea's... seed in a scrunched up peice of paper... once they catch onto that stick it in a toilet roll cylinder so they have to search for it...

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....c=23812&hl=

theres a start :D

Edited by JimmyBanks

Thanks Jimmy! That seems like a great idea. I will try that as soon as I can.

So is his urge to chew his ladder just to satisfy his foraging instinct? Or is it also to shape/trim his beak like I thought?

Do you have any branches in the cage?

Maurie spends hours stripping bark and chewing branches.

He has a wooden chew toy.. but he's trying to court that, so that was a bit of a failure :D

You can also use natural tree branches as perches, I do for mine and they love chewing off the bark, and it's easy to replace them once the bark has been chewed off. You just need to make sure you are using a type that is safe for budgies.

Blue is quite an extreme neophobe. He takes a very long time to get used to new things. The one time I put a natural branch in the cage, he freaked out. Wouldn't go near it, didn't go to his food or water for almost two days until I removed it. I'm also a bit worried about selecting the correct type of branch. Botany = worst of my sciences.

So I was hoping for a less threatening solution. But if someone can provide me with a good description/image of the type of tree/branch I should be looking for, I'm game to try that again. I'd probably try a smaller branch this time, and put it near where he likes to chew his ladder.

Eucalyptus is good.

yeah any gum tree should be okay... thats what I would suggest.

put a smaller piece in and we have information in the FAQ about chosing a branches or you can buy them at the pet store if you feel safer that way, cuttlebone is also another excellent source of rubbing, chewing and also calcium.

Most Australian natives are good. I've used Eucalyptus and bottle brushes with no ill effects. The best ones to use are those with flaky bark, my birds love shredding it. You can also try drilling holes into the branches and hiding his favourite food in it, so he has to chew to get to it properly.

If he is a neophobe, don't go rushing in. Start with a twig. Leave it outside his cage at some distance for a day or two. Slowly bring it closer. Then put it against his cage. When he gets used to that put part of it inside his cage. Then, the whole thing. Once he gets used the sight/texture, gradually introduce bigger pieces. Make it more tempting like I described above by hiding his favourite food in it.

Captive foraging will satisfy his foraging need, which I believe is very important for captive birds. It does help keep his beak trim, but healthy birds should not need to chew aggressively keep their beaks down. Instead I believe it is better in that it gives them something to do, since it is natural for them to destroy things when they are looking for food in the wild.