• Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  21
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  135
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  18/01/1990

First and foremost, HELLO. I'm a newcomer, I've looked around the site and I've come to find some really great information on budgies. It's been a real help! You're all doing such a wonderful job.

Now, down to business. I am finding using this information in practice a little daunting. For my whole time I've ever had budgies, around 13 years or so, we've never once taken them to the vet until very recently. We've never wormed, mite-killed or given any special consideration to their seed-only diet. We've given a lot of love and support, and apparently that's been working a treat. But now I want to do more! I feel like it's my duty as an owner to really cater to their needs. It has been a bit overwhelming trying to figure out what food to try and phase into their diet, and what kind of instruments I can incorporate as toys in their cage.

I had a budgie pass away last November. Fortunately, we knew what was coming and I kept look out on him until he finally closed his eyes to sleep while resting in my hands. He was quite old, around 11 years or so, and he was our last green budgie. Since then, there's been a bit of a 'hole' left in the cage, as he was the largest of our 3 budgies and a mate to our only female.

So today I got a new bird from a local Pet store. Beautiful colour, a yellow on the head, and a mixture of blue/yellow feathers which equate to a greyish sea-foam sort of green. My sister an I have named him/her Paddy, as the colour reminds us of a rainbow paddlepop. Nickname? Padfoot. Cute, yeah?

I'm struggling with keeping him/her (unknown, young) relaxed as I couldn't afford this sulfide stuff that they kept telling me about. I really started to get worried when Paddy was making a strange head movement. The sort you'd expect from a regurgitating cat. I know Paddy is stressed out, and he/she is currently sleeping in a dark room as I speak, but I don't know what I can do until then! I gave a bit of a mist spray because I thought maybe Paddy would be a bit warm. I'm just freaking out a bit! Padfoot's wing is clipped on the right, but not the left - and if I do say so myself, quite ROUGHLY. Will this affect how he/she feels towards humans for a while?

Also, at what point do I start trying to train and give fresh food? This is kind of scary! I don't want the first bird I've bought from a store to be ill. :)

xx, C.

Edited by **Liv**
removed some formatting

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Hello and welcome.

Is your new bird quarantined in a separate cage in another room - as this will help stop the spread of potential disease.

In regards to mites, worm etc. people who have their birds inside all the time can get away with not doing these things provided the birds didnt have the parasites in the first place.

Don't feel overwhelmed. there is so much to learn and you need to find what works for you and your budgies.

Are you able to post a picture of your budgie/s?? we love photos :)

• Member ID:  5,028

Sure!

IMG_27301.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

As you can see there, his wing.. :)

xx, C.

Edited by KAZ

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Very pretty Yellow Face type 2 Opaline :)

The wing is very short :( - The end flights need to be cut too as they will run a risk of being caught and breaking off.

It's too dark to see gender, possibly a male, but need a picture in natural light to tell for sure :)

A real sweety.

Thank you! He (I'll just say that from now on) looked quite animated in the store but now he's quite timid. Do I keep him in the room for a while or should I take him out? There's nothing in his cage right now, as I couldn't afford to buy any fancy toys or anything.

I've never had any experience with clipping wings, so I'm not sure what to do. Is only one wing meant to be clipped? >.>

xx, C.

Edited by Nove

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Oh wow that wing clip is AWFUL! I see you are in Melbourne, if I'm not too far away for you I'd be happy o look him over for you and fix the wings and give him a mite treatment :) I'm in Yallambie which is near Heidelberg.

Also if you don't mind PM me the name of the store, I'd love to know who in Melbourne is doing such a poor job things

Edited by melbournebudgies

• Member ID:  4,916
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  115
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  630

He's a lovely little thing, congratulations!

Give him a few days of being in a calm environment and I'm sure he'll pick up...from his perspective he's been wrenched away from his flock, had a haircut and then gone to a new home...it's all so overwhelming for the little thing.

I offered my guy fruit and veggies from the get go but he didn't touch them for a couple of weeks...but I still think it was useful to put them in there as he had the opportunity to get used to seeing them...he's eating like a fiend now of course.

Same for toys, he had a ladder and a hangy thing with a bell...the ladder he played with in the first couple of days, the hangy bell thing he has only shown any interest in during the past week or two.

Good luck, you sound caring so he's a lucky boy.

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

That is a horrible wing clip :) And birds should never be clipped on just one wing, there is no practical benefit. Its not aesthetically pleasing to us, and it sure as heck isnt good for the bird. Would you like one arm shorter than the other? Or a LEG?

I really hope MB is able to visit you and fix the poor little mites wings. If not, i have a great step by step instruction video that makes it VERY clear and understandable about how to safely, nicely and effectively trim a budgies wings. PM me for the link if you need it.

P.s He sure is a cutey :)

• Member ID:  3,545
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Achievement Points:  13,140

Very cute guy, if MB can't help you out I am in Burwood if that is closer and can also have a look.

Now first BREATH! If you want some to chat to PM me and I will send you my mobile number. I was a budgie owner who had a seed only guy for 7 years before I worked it all out (alot of that thanks to this site) take a little info and work on that till you are comfortable, a Budgie is not going to be injured if you don't feed, worm, etc... all in the first few days.

Also MB it might not have been the petshop that did that. I know the shop near me got a bunch of new birds and I was in there today and they where swearing up a storm at the mess the breeder had made of the wing before they came into the store.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Welcome ;)

Please go to the FAQ's and in there is an article about Taming Your Budgie, I know you have the experience but it is a great refresher course when you are starting brand new again.

I would refrain from doing any type of misting until he get more comfortable with you, I would also keep his cage covered on all three sides for the next week to keep him calm, along with talking to him a lot but keeping hands out and feeding millet as a treat when you spend time with him, there are many more tips in the article :).

Again, welcome and if MB can come and look at the bird's wing you will be in good shape.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Hi, welcome. You have been given great advice.

• Member ID:  4,233
  • Topic Count:  329
  • Content Count:  4,498
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Achievement Points:  28,540
  • Birthday:  17/12/1982

Have heard via PM Av that it was the petshop and poor Nove actually paid extra for the 'service'. :D

okay then well that is just nasty!

Thank you all for your kind words!

Yes, it's true. I did pay $25 extra for the wing clipping. All up Paddy himself cost $55, around 25-30 dollars more than any other bird I've ever owned. The cage, which I had no choice but to purchase, cost $72. That's a lot of money for a girl who works casual at Coles.

Burwood would be closer, yes. I live down around the Lilydale area, albeit not quite as far. I'd be ecstastic for any of you to take a look at him. I just want him to trust me, and people in general! After training up Coco, my cockatiel, it's hard to remember him being just as frightened. Although I've had some practice in taming, I never quite got the hang of it I suppose. Coco was a bit of a fluke, as he's scared of the budgies and therefore feels he's more a little human than a lutino cockatiel. He pretty much taught himself to talk, and maybe I just got lucky in that he likes to whistle. It's a bit of a habit of mine to sing 'Twisted Nerve', the tune the nurse in Kill Bill whistles. He's also very fond of "Fly Me To the Moon".

Picture13111.jpg

'Big Bird'

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/Che...icture13341.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v347/Che...icture13361.jpg

I'm not sure I'm able to keep him in a dark room for much longer. He's calmed down considerably, but he's also been moved several times into the room the other 3 birds inhabit. This wasn't actually my decision, a family member moved him, so I don't know my chances at making Paddy the tame budgie. Hm!

xx, C.

So as most of you know, I purchased a budgie last week and picked him up yesterday. His name is Paddy.

I was worried about the sort of treatment I was meant to give him, and the stuff I couldn't afford.

I thought maybe he was sleeping excessively yesterday because he didn't have enough when he was at the pet store. However, he is often closing his eyes even now after a very long period of sleeping last night. In fact, he's sleeping right now.

His faeces also seem to be very dark, and very watery. Diahorrea?

He hasn't ate anything, I've checked the box.

I wish I bought the sulfide-aid. :D

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

He is not a well budgie. Have you a warm lamp you can put by him with a 25 to 40 watt globe ? You need to ring the shop you bought him from and tell them whats going on, and he needs to see a vet. But for now a warm lamp and some suplha D in his water will help. He can go rapidly downhill once his droppings go like that. :D

PM the members on here who are close to you and have offered to help.

Best of luck.

I've decided to put his cage in the other room where the other birds are. I don't care if he's not going to be tame, I just want him to be safe. I might try in a week a so but until then it's his wellbeing that comes first.

Again, thank you all for your help. I'll update/PM when I get the chance.

xx, C.

Nove call me, both Pippi and I are here. DO NOT put him in the room with the other birds i think he might be sick!

I agree.............DO NOT put him anywhere near the other birds. :o

Updates ?

• Member ID:  3,721
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  610
  • Birthday:  31/05/1979

Hey Nova how is the little cutie going today!

Sorry! Updates pending now.

CRISIS AVOIDED. Angelicvampire and Pippi came to the rescue of little Padfoot, medication in hand and a pair of scissors. If either of you are wondering, yes, you left your scissors here. You're welcome almost anytime though, I enjoyed your company despite being a bit shy. Hum! It was very nice to meet you both. Also, are you a fan or dark, milk or white chocolate? I've got some definite cake plans for you, something I'm actually good at.

I gave some of the pro-biotic this morning, but I wasn't sure how much to give. I gave up to about 10 on the syringe/squirter that they gave me. He's been a lot more vocal, and has been preening quite frequently. He's still fairly sleepy at times, but Pippi and AV assured me that he's still very young. Not even past his first moult. He was very bitey while I was trying to give the medication, only not onto the plastic, but on my hand. Whoops! :D

I've seen him eat more and I'm going to pick some of the bottlebrush and gumleafs soon to invite him to eat some new types of food. I think Cherp, my girl, needs something to peck at as she's furiously scratching at the wooden block holding up her perch as well.

I'm not sure what to do with the white powder stuff in the small jar! I stared at it trying to remember but I just couldn't remember. Is it for all of the birds? Will Padfoot have it with that droplet medication in his water after 10 days? Wah, I really should write these things down.

Many thanks!

xx, C.

Edited by Nove

Good to hear, give paddy the yellow stuff in the plastic jar between 5 - 10 mls for 10 days

Give the other guys the white powder in the glass jar just a sprinkle in their water till it's gone and no longer then 15 days.

I am glad that he seems to be doing better, he is cute and as Pippi said should tame down really well.

Good to hear, give paddy the yellow stuff in the plastic jar between 5 - 10 mls for 10 days

Give the other guys the white powder in the glass jar just a sprinkle in their water till it's gone and no longer then 15 days.

I am glad that he seems to be doing better, he is cute and as Pippi said should tame down really well.

I hope so! He seemed to like you two very much. He's still doing the regurgitating motion still, but nothing has come up as of yet. Good sign I suppose?

Thank you again so much for your help, I really do want to make that cake! Haha. Should be good. :D

• Member ID:  4,879
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  974
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Achievement Points:  5,370

Normally the regurgitating motion is a sign of happiness/bonding/affection. I had a slightly... excitable bird that would chirp, rub against and regurgitate to anything.... iodine bell, chew toy, cage wiring.. He was definately a happy and content bird though lol.

So hopefully it means he's feeling a bit better and very happy about it :D