Bleach For Cleaning

I have only recently started using bleach to clean my cages as I am allergic to it. I have been told to use it to kill any dangerous microbes that may still be in existence in the birds' poop even when dried - this is any that is missed during regular cleaning.

Is there a time limit that I should observe before returning the birds to their cage?

I could not find it on the bottle, is bleach and ammonia the same? I originally looked for ammonia in the shop and they did not have any which is why I bought bleach.

The amount of bleach used was approximately 100ml per litre of water - is that strong enough? too strong?

I don't know much about it. But Bleach is different to ammonia. Bleach is Hydrogen peroxide whereas Ammonia is ammonia.

I wouldn't think it's the best thing to use. If you are unsure, just rinse it with plenty of water.

I prefer to use vinegar as it is very effective and not so dangerous.

Edited by Sailorwolf

I have been using vinegar with a bicarb mix for many years without problems.

It was only recently when I had some questions about avian ailments when I was told ammonia kills germs even in dried poop. Then, I came on here tonight and read through the sickness section - truth be told I forget where on this forum I saw it - and it also says something about ammonia. So, I have 2 reliable sources stating ammonia is good - but I can't find it.

That is why I was asking about bleach, I asked Mummy Bernadette and she was unable to help.

oh my goodness! if that isn't one of the easiest preparations to make I don't know what is!

I can pinch some of my fathers lemon juice out of the fridge.

Thank you Karen, that is a good recipe - will do that on the grass parrot cage next. Now the babies have all fledged it's safe to clean.

oh my goodness! if that isn't one of the easiest preparations to make I don't know what is!

I can pinch some of my fathers lemon juice out of the fridge.

Thank you Karen, that is a good recipe - will do that on the grass parrot cage next. Now the babies have all fledged it's safe to clean.

I have friends who are "cleaners"and they suffer greatly from the use of bleach....so if people do, I refuse to use it for my birds. Hope the cleaner works well for you :)

I use to use Bleach but then switched to the above. Howeve my vet still says that I should clean the cage about once every 3 - 6 months with a detol mix. (1 cap full of detol in a buket of REALLY hot water and let the tray and base soak)

Since switching to this I have had no issues.