Scaleyface Mite?

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Have been searching the internet to see if i can come up with any answers in regards to my daughters budgie.

We have only had him approx 6 weeks. When we got him his cere (?) where the vents are, was nearly all blue. Now the colour of this area except for a tiny tiny portion up the top is and the only way i can describe it seems to be nearly a bruise colour, like that really dark purple. Its not black and its not brown. Now in the feathers that grow directly at the top of the cere are brown and stiff to touch.

I went to where i got him and was told it sounded like an upper respiratory infection. So i got an antibiotic to put in his water, did this for 7 days and its made no difference. Since then i have spoken to an ex vet nurse who now works in a different pet shop to where i got him and she said she would bet her dollar on it that it sounds like scaly face mites. I said it doesnt really look crusty to me or flakey or scaly. She has given me a small bottle of benzal benzoate and liquid paraffin.

Told me to paint this on the cere, and to check his lower beak area and legs. okay, i have searched the internet on information about this scaly face mite and all the information and pics i see of it doesnt look like what my budgie has. Cheeky is eating and pooping okay. Although can not get him to touch anything but seed and hulled oats. Sometimes i think he looks a little miserable.

Can anyone please give me some idea if scaly face mites does have different looks and i am reluctant to start painting this stuff on. what if its not scaly face mite? will this stuff hurt him? and also what if it gets in his vents? I am not experienced at having to actually hold a budgie to do this although i have had several that lived happily and healthily for many years..my daughter loves this little guy and i really want to get this problem fixed. I have been to several vets but they are reluctant to see small birds. I do have the number of a fellow that lives a considerable distance from me and charges an arm and a leg. I live at Robina on the Gold Coast. Is there anyone out there that can help me with information or suggestions? Really dont want to lose this little guy.

Thanks

Lisa

Edited by Neat
tyops and spelling ..

Can you post a picture please? There is a link in my signature to help with posting photos.

To me it sounds like a respiratory infection - but if the antibiotics (which need to be given for 10 days) didnt help at all then he really needs to see an avian vet as he may need something stronger

Frankly, prior to coming here, it sounds like two supposed "experts" ( and I use that term loosely ) have diagnosed your bird without seeing it. On this forum we are lucky to have actual experts who can tell you in a flash with proper photos shown and clear images for us to see. Dont waste any more time and money...post a clear few photos ( how to is in my signature ) ......and we will set you straight.

Cheers Kaz

Edited by KAZ

*points upwards* do as they said or take to a avian vet (make sure it is an avian vet as most vets have no clue what to do with a Budgie)

Edited by KAZ
changed avairn into AVIAN

First, never have your bird diagnosised by anyone then an avian vet (the travel time is worth it) especially if you don't really don't know what you are doing.

I say this not to be hurtful or mean but because birds are so delicate. My one bird was alive in the morning and by evening he was dead with no warning, I recently had Merlin go on a food strike and almost die. It is very important that you always take your bird to an avian vet just as you would not self diagnosis (or have non experts assume) your dog or cat please don't do it with your bird.

Birds do need avian vets not regular dog and cat vets, so believe me the distance is worth it.

It does sound like a respiratory infection or irritation.

Do you burn candles in your home, do you use strong cleaners around his cage like bleach, Pine Sol, do you use air fresheners in your home, do you have your bird in the kitchen...the linings of birds lungs are very sensitive and can be irritated in a snap. Please check your home for fumes have you done any painting, is the cage by the garage anything....do some research in your home.

Being a new bird owner, I would like to throw out have you started your bird on veggies, fruits and a variety of food? I know this is off topic but just seed is not a nutritional diet, they can become malnutrition and their respiratory lining can break down with not enough Vitamin A and other essential vitamins that are not always found in seed.

Let us know and WELCOME to the forum!

Edited by Neat
Spelling
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. Have been searching the internet to see if i can come up with any answers in reguards to my daughters budgie. We have only had him approx 6 weeks. When we got him his cere (?) where the vents are, was nearly all blue. Now the colour of this area except for a tiny tiny portion up the top is and the only way i can describe it seems to be nearly a bruise colour, like that really dark purple. Its not black and its not brown. Now in the feathers that grow directly at the top of the cere are brown and stiff to touch. I went to where i got him and was told it sounded like an upper respiratory infection. So i got an antibiotic to put in his water, did this for 7 days and its made no difference. Since then i have spoken to an ex vet nurse who now works in a different pet shop to where i got him and she said she would bet her dollar on it that it sounds like scaleyface mites. I said it doesnt really look crusty to me or flakey or scaley. She has given me a small bottle of benzal benzoate and liquid parrafin. Told me to paint this on the cere, and to check his lower beak area and legs. okay, i have searched the internet on information about this scaleyface mite and all the information and pics i see of it doesnt look like what my budgie has. Cheeky is eating and pooping okay. Although can not get him to touch anything but seed and hulled oats. Sometimes i think he looks a little miserable. Can anyone please give me some idea if scaleyface mite does have different looks and i am reluctant to start painting this stuff on. what if its not scaley face mite? will this stuff hurt him? and also what if it gets in his vents? I am not experienced at having to actually hold a budgie to do this although i have had several that lived happily and healthily for many years..my daughter loves this little guy and i really want to get this problem fixed. I have been to several vets but they are reluctant to see small birds. I do have the number of a fellow that lives a considerable distance from me and charges an arm and a leg. I live at Robina on the GoldCoast. Is there anyone out there that can help me with information or suggestions? Really dont want to lose this little guy.

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Our local Avian vet is Peter Wilson. He is in the Currumbin Valley up pass the rock pools. His phone number is in the yellow pages. He and his assistants are very nice. I take my new birds there for an initial checkup and once over as well as quaranteening them. :o

Secondly. Do not use antibiotics without approval from a vet. I'm going to say one thing. With the increase in antibiotic resistant bacteria in the world, people are looking to place the blame somewhere. Some people say it is the vets' faults for over prescribing antibiotics, some say it is the human doctors' faults for over prescribing antibiotics and many agree that it is the clients and patient's faults for using them incorrectly, especially without prescription. If they find new resistant drugs popping up in animals, they are going to blame vets, regardless of whether or not it was a vet prescribing them and they may chose to ban the use of antibiotics in all animals. This means that if this happens you will not be able to use antibiotics to treat your animals at all.

I'm surprised that pet shops can sell them.

I also want to point out that what some people call antibiotics are not antibiotics. Antibiotics are drugs that are given to animals specifically to kill bacteria. Nothing more, nothing less. They are not painkillers, or anti inflammatory s .

This is not a dig at the poster. I just thought I would write this as the issue has popped up countless times. I should probably make a whole topic out of it. But maybe later.

Edited by Neat

Hey Mate, Sorry that you joined under bad terms .... But

What I am thinking is a couple of things ...

This is all with out seeing a picture ...

-----------

Sorry to Hear that your little one has passed on ...... RIP :wub:

Edited by Neat
Bird has since passed - from canker