• Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  228
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  1,715
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/07/1987

Okay, so l've been a bad mummy :(

Sherbet has always been a biter. And l tried the different ways to get her to stop. I tried the glad wrap on the finger, pushing her mouth a little when she bites, and l even resorted to (please don't hurt me anyone, l know its wrong) to tapping, and only tapping her on the head with my free finger when she bit. It wasn't a rough tap, it wasn't hurting her, it was quite lighty.

Now, l know the last thing l probably shouldn't have done, l did it a bit, and she seemed to learn, but then went to biting worse than ever.

She's know 6 months + and she bites me all the time, everytime l put my hand in her cage she attacks my finger, my hand and even my arm. She drew blood a few weeks ago which resulted in these weird bumps like mosquito bites on my arm.

Even if l go to put my hand in there for only 10 seconds to get the veggie bowl out, she's attacking my hand like crazy.

I thought maybe she's territorial with Fizzy being in there? She feels like she has a duty to protect him? He has no problem with my hand, well, he is scared as all *** of it, but he has never ever bitten me.

I have also tried millet spray, by holding it in my hand and having her eat it, but she soon enough realises its my hand under there and attacks it.

I know, l'm a bad mummy :( I feel stupid for doing it, she is my first budgie and l guess l ruined her in that way :sad:

I just wanted to know, is it too late? Have l ruined her for life? If not, is there anything at all that l could try?

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Don't feel bad... We all make mistakes at times. you are not a bad mummy.

I'd say she will get over it in time... you may have to go back to basic taming and getting her used to your hand again.

I hope she stops, a biting budgie can be very frustrating.

Something i have done with my biting chicks is i stroke the sides of their beak with my thumb and index finder... sort of as if i was a mummy bird going to feed them... i don't know exactly what it does but they tend to warm to me more if i do it..??? It is also something i do as a part of my taming.... they often really like it and start to kiss rather than bite....

Good luck :sad:

• Member ID:  4,130
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.75
  • Achievement Points:  25,112
  • Birthday:  12/02/1982

sounds very painful... I dunno what you can do, but hopefully someone will... how bigs the cage?

• Member ID:  3,618
  • Topic Count:  34

Thanks Liv,I'd try that except she'd try to bite my hand off when l put my fingers near her beak :PI try to just simply put my hand in her cage, and just above her feet near her body, as if she were to step up onto my finger, but she always manages to bite me.I've even tried letting her bite me like crazy, and not react. Thats when she drew blood and my eyes were watering because of it.Don't get me wrong, l love her to bits though :( She's my little b**ch :(

sounds very painful... I dunno what you can do, but hopefully someone will... how bigs the cage?
The cage is bigger than your standard pet shop cage (which would be 30cm by 20cm and 40cms high or something like that)It is wider and longer only by a little bit. Its more taller than anything, which l realise now was a bad mistake. I thought it would make a good cage, but l should have gotten one that was more wider than taller :sad:

hmmm... I don't know really... maybe it could be boredom but she's got a friend so maybe your right and she is being protective of Fizzy... :sad:

hmmm... I don't know really... maybe it could be boredom but she's got a friend so maybe your right and she is being protective of Fizzy... :rolleyes:

I hope thats what it is.. its still annoying :)

• Member ID:  3,939
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  4,125
  • Birthday:  31/01/1980

I was thinking the same ... sherbet might be being overly protective of Fizzy.

I know how bad it hurts when they bite. I swore the Weebil removed chunks of skin so big on me he could have made wallets from my flesh.

Yesterday, I saw a video of a woman on YouTube & she had a budgie on her hand & it kept trying to bite her. She would say "NO" quite loudly & move her hand up or down in a jerking manner that the budgie was sitting on. The motion made the budgie sit still & pay attention as it didn't want to fall. (It didn't try to fly away either, which freaked me out) I thought she crazy glued the poor bird to her hand to make it stay there.

I assumed the budge was wing clipped. Which is about the only way she could have had it sitting on her hand so long. But even thru her teachings I also witnessed the bird still trying to reach down between its feet & bite & the woman again. AGAIN she woulld quickly move her hand up & over or down & say "NO" again loudly.

Oddly ... the bird was responding .... I felt bad for the bird, I don't know how much of a problem this bird really is. But this woman was videoing her tutorial & showing us all how she was in control. WHILE SHE WAVED HER FINGER IN THIS POOR BIRDS FACE. Over & Over & Over again. COME ON PRETTY BABY ... BITE MOMMY SO I CAN SHOW PEOPLE I CAN CONTROL YOU ! DUH ...

Who knows ... maybe this does work ?

Is Sherbet wing clipped ? Can you get him/her/it/ out of the cage at all & go somewhere alone with him/her/it/ alone & one on one work with him/her/it ? for more then 20 minutes or so ? Time is the key to training. I find. But what do I know. I'm new at this too.

Being near or seeing or hearing Fizzy can make Sherbet a little more anxious & territorial & show aggression to you. If she/he/it is in another room with you & in a quiet atmosphere away from Fizzy for a while alone with you .... you can try to do some step up & hands on training with praise Sherbet with possitive influence & tone of voice.

Showing you are still the dominant BUDGIE mistress !

Good luck. I would love to hear how it goes ... your lovely Sherbet has some TUDE ! A TT I TUDE !

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

Another member is having a biting problem too and they were using cotton gloves to protect their hands.... I would not recommend white cotton gloves... but i had an idea that might work for you too - get some white cotton gloves and dye them the same colour as your skin. That way your Sherbet can still get used to your hands and you will be protected from some of those nasty bites

I was thinking the same ... sherbet might be being overly protective of Fizzy.

I know how bad it hurts when they bite. I swore the Weebil removed chunks of skin so big on me he could have made wallets from my flesh.

Yesterday, I saw a video of a woman on YouTube & she had a budgie on her hand & it kept trying to bite her. She would say "NO" quite loudly & move her hand up or down in a jerking manner that the budgie was sitting on. The motion made the budgie sit still & pay attention as it didn't want to fall. (It didn't try to fly away either, which freaked me out) I thought she crazy glued the poor bird to her hand to make it stay there.

I assumed the budge was wing clipped. Which is about the only way she could have had it sitting on her hand so long. But even thru her teachings I also witnessed the bird still trying to reach down between its feet & bite & the woman again. AGAIN she woulld quickly move her hand up & over or down & say "NO" again loudly.

Oddly ... the bird was responding .... I felt bad for the bird, I don't know how much of a problem this bird really is. But this woman was videoing her tutorial & showing us all how she was in control. WHILE SHE WAVED HER FINGER IN THIS POOR BIRDS FACE. Over & Over & Over again. COME ON PRETTY BABY ... BITE MOMMY SO I CAN SHOW PEOPLE I CAN CONTROL YOU ! DUH ...

Who knows ... maybe this does work ?

Is Sherbet wing clipped ? Can you get him/her/it/ out of the cage at all & go somewhere alone with him/her/it/ alone & one on one work with him/her/it ? for more then 20 minutes or so ? Time is the key to training. I find. But what do I know. I'm new at this too.

Being near or seeing or hearing Fizzy can make Sherbet a little more anxious & territorial & show aggression to you. If she/he/it is in another room with you & in a quiet atmosphere away from Fizzy for a while alone with you .... you can try to do some step up & hands on training with praise Sherbet with possitive influence & tone of voice.

Showing you are still the dominant BUDGIE mistress !

Good luck. I would love to hear how it goes ... your lovely Sherbet has some TUDE ! A TT I TUDE !

Thats cruel :D making the budgie do that just so she can put it on camera.

Sherbet (she!) doesn't come out of the cage. About a month ago , decided to try to get them both to come out on their own free will. I put the cage (and myself) into the toilet room with the door closed. I opened up both of the huge doors and sat on the toilet seat quietly. Fizzy braved it and came out, but because his wing is clipped he flew straight into the air spray thing and took it out, poor little bugger.

Sherbet did not budge. I put my finger in the cage to get her up on my hand (which she was biting) and as soon as l got her out of the cage, she immediately jumped back inside.

This afternoon when l got home from work, l went up to the cage and spoke very softly and calmly. Then after a while l put my hand in and she didn't have any intention of biting it, she just tried to get away. But then when l put the veggie mix in, she did, only once, and l managed to get my hand in and out with only one small bite from Sherbet.

Do you suggest that l take her on her own into the toilet room with me? Its the only room l feel comfortable having her in, because she can't hurt herself or get lost behind tv cabinets etc. her wings were clipped, but that was when l first got her.

Like l said, l don't take them out of the cage, so they don't fly, they can't even fly in their cage well, its more vertical than horizontal.

Before l got Fizzy, l took Sherbet into the toilet room with me one time to let her have a fly, but l found that her heart was beating faster than normal and she was breathing fast, it was obviously scaring her. Should l try it again or leave it?

Thanks for your help.

• Member ID:  3,275
  • Topic Count:  321
  • Content Count:  5,171
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Achievement Points:  31,845
  • Birthday:  22/05/1980

Hey Missy .... Try the dyed ( GARDEN GLOVE ) it works I told my MIL (mother In Law) to do they same so it recongises it has a hand .... Go back to Taming basics and start all over again .... I honestly do believe that a light tap ot quick flick on the beck doesn't hurt or causes them pain .... ( A kids smacks you .... You smack them back !!!! ) just remembering they are a lot smaller and fragile then we are ... Get the Millet out or her fav fruit / Veg Or use a taming stick it is like a LOOOONNNNGGGG T made from Dowel ....Teach her to hop on to this first it will save on the finger biting :D

Hey Missy .... Try the dyed ( GARDEN GLOVE ) it works I told my MIL (mother In Law) to do they same so it recongises it has a hand .... Go back to Taming basics and start all over again .... I honestly do believe that a light tap ot quick flick on the beck doesn't hurt or causes them pain .... ( A kids smacks you .... You smack them back !!!! ) just remembering they are a lot smaller and fragile then we are ... Get the Millet out or her fav fruit / Veg Or use a taming stick it is like a LOOOONNNNGGGG T made from Dowel ....Teach her to hop on to this first it will save on the finger biting :D

Thats an idea :)

I tried taking her into the bathroom (toilet) but she was freaking out, she was panting and shaking. She flew up to the ceiling straight away, but hit herself on the ceiling then crash landed twice :) poor little chook :D

I think l will just leave them both be, they seem to be happy with their current situation and as long as they are happy, then l am happy. They are happy enough without me interfering, so be it.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

The nice thing that I have learned about animals is that they don't live in the past or the future they live in the now and we don't know what is going through their heads from the past experience so she is reacting because she hasn't formed a bond with you.

You have been given good advice. I suggest also that you read my article on Taming in the FAQ section there are different approaches you can use. The first thing you need to do is gain trust and I personally would start with getting her to come to you on her own by putting your face next to the cage and speaking to her quietly along with closing your eyes and blinking a lot (predators stare at their prey so you don't want her to think this).

She already doesn't trust your hand and putting a glove on it isn't going to help (my opinion) you need to get her to come to you instead of you putting in that big hand which will now be bigger because you have a glove on it and now she really thinks she is going to be eaten. She is viewing your hand as a predator and knows she has been hurt by it before.

You know it may take a couple months or six months to regain trust remember trust is broken quicker then gained back but you can fix it because trust me she is willing she just has to get over it and she will with your help and patience.

Give it a break and try again What works for some doesn't work for others ..... If you try the glove idea leave it in the cage for a couple of days thread it on to the end of a perch so that they are use to it being there ... This is how I did things and well (Lucy) went from cage to hand in no time ....

Good advice from Elly & Neat ... you can try again another day. But don't give up. YOU HAVE TO TRY !!!!!!!

I just found out that my rescue bird is over 3 years old & has never been hands on or trained in any way with any one EVER ! Today he & I are working out a friendship & working at trust one on one. He willingly steps up on my hands & gave up biting long ago.

The thing I like about the hand training is " in case of emergency." It's good to know that I can get the birds to come to my hand & I can place them in their cage and away from danger should it happen. I have control over their lives from danger.

Last year a cat tore open a window screen in our livingroom & entered the house where the birds were. I had no way to gather them & get them into the cage & safe. This scared me greatly. I didn't know this cat or its temperment & could have been bitten & scratched by the viscious feral ferocious mountain lion that might have been ill. with mad cat disease or rabbi's that jewish illness. This was not a good thought.

Another time a neighbour under me decided to wood smoke flavor into some food in his BBQ without noticing the smell of the smoke chips came in the window & went directly at my birds. I had no hands on with my birds & it was an awful time trying to quickly darken the room ... & throw sheets over the poor scared birds as they flew in panic trying to get away from my crazy antics ... just so I could gather them & get them to their cage & then move them & the entire cage to safety.

Little things you take for granted can make a quick end to your bird friends life.

It's best you are in contol.

I am happy now I work with my birds on a daily one on one basis to gain some trust so should some emergency arise ... I have the chance to load them in their cage ... or a bird carrier & get them safely out of harms way. It's taking time ... I've lost some skin & it hurt worse then CHILD BIRTH (oh I know I will pay for that comment) ... but you will feel more secure in the end with the results with the trust you build with your birds.

PERSISTANCE is the key. Or bird Prozac ....

Are you offering the Back of your hand .......

Are you offering the Back of your hand .......

What for ? The beating I am due for the CHILD BIRTH COMMENT ? or when I deal with CHEWY ?

I began with fingers with Weebil. CAUSE I WAS STOOOOPID ! Then I got smarter (but not so fast) & moved up to the front of my hand as he couldn't grab on to anything that wasn't actually dangling in front of him. He got use to that. He got use to the fact that I took the bites & didn't pull back & cry out or make a fuss about it. Once he saw that I wasn't fizzed by it .... he just gave up.

But at first ? WOW ... he made some serious chews on my fingers ! He does not bite at all anymore. IN FACT ... he preens around my nails & picks away skin & does it in the most gentle way. I will rent him out to anyone who needs a dry skin budgie manicure. Nail polish would not be able to apply ... he'd not like the smell I'm sure.

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

I've lost some skin & it hurt worse then CHILD BIRTH (oh I know I will pay for that comment) ...

...Maesie shakes her head but offers no comments... ;)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Any chance of going for a bigger cage any time soon ? As you state a few times the cage isnt right and that they are always in the cage. Maybe more space and flight room in alarge cage would begin to make a difference to them ?

Any chance of going for a bigger cage any time soon ? As you state a few times the cage isnt right and that they are always in the cage. Maybe more space and flight room in alarge cage would begin to make a difference to them ?
I'd love to, but unfortuanely l'm not made of money (darn biology, why couldn't we be made of money :P)I only bought that cage about 3 months ago l think?I have seen one thats the same height but double the floor space, should l fork out money for it now? It was about $140 and l'm not sure the stand was included.
start with getting her to come to you on her own by putting your face next to the cage and speaking to her quietly along with closing your eyes and blinking a lot (predators stare at their prey so you don't want her to think this).
Thanks elly :D I do this already, and l talk to them both, she does come right up to me, but she tries to bite me through the bars of the cage.

when she is trying to bite when she comes to you is out of anger or just being a budgie honestly Merlin does the same thing to me and comes back so sometimes I think it is just them playing a game (just ignore it or walk away from the negative and come back for the positive).

when she is trying to bite when she comes to you is out of anger or just being a budgie honestly Merlin does the same thing to me and comes back so sometimes I think it is just them playing a game (just ignore it or walk away from the negative and come back for the positive).

I try that too, but she just does it everytime l go up to the cage. She can also see my coming sometimes and headbutts her bell.

I just went outside to see them, and l put my face up to the cage (she's eating her veggie mix) and l said softly a few times "hello sherbet", then l went around to where the doors are, and l put my hand inside. She jumped off the perch she was eating from and jumped onto her swing. I put my whole hand inside, where she could see it, still kept saying "hello sherbet" and opened my palm, then turned my hand over, l did this few times with her watching me. I then put my finger out towards her a little, and she didn't go to try and bite. I wasn't as close as l would be if l were to get her to step up, but not too far away either.

Then l took my hand out.

Is this good or not?

Edited by Missy

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Firstly you didn't give up Now look what happen she didn't even try to bite, Keep it up .... Softly talking is the key and staying still for ages then a break ... TIP: Try and do it at the same time so it becomes a routine for the both of you Good luck keep us posted on the outcome I am sure soon she will be eating out of the palm of your hand .... :hap:

Its a lot better than her drawing blood I'd say...

Just keep doing that a few times and see how it goes. Good Luck and keep us posted.

yes that is good, if you have a treat she likes like millet I would hold that in your hand too she will start to get comfortable and hopefully will come and eat the millet. Once you can start to get them to eat from your hand without the cage bars that is a huge step.

I'd say you got a good response there Missy. Good for you.

Now continue to do it. Don't give up. Although I swear you will think your arm is going to fall off while you have it perched in the cage just sitting there while you chit chat with the Sherbet ! You will wanna DIE from the boredom & the pain !

But you are reaching her. Slowly & surely. Keep us posted.