• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  200
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

My 5 year old budgie Jake has had runny poo for close to a month now (ever since we moved house). He is still eating and drinking as normal, singing away, and arguing with his mate Jasmine. I have smelled his bottom when it is covered in poo and there is no smell at all. I have also felt his chest and there is no weight loss, he is not fluffing himself up and has not had a change of diet at all he seems fine has anyone got any suggestions please. :hap:

• Member ID:  3,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  120
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  27,580
  • Birthday:  20/04/1979

Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about little Jake. It sounds like it could be either stress or something else??? You can imagine how much stress moving puts on us humans, well it's prob worse for our feather friends. Esp if he's been in the same house for 5 years. Do you have bird vet near by? Maybe get a check up for him? A month of runny poos can't be real good for his body. Birds can also be really good at hiding their illnesses. They don't like to let anyone know they're unwell. Watch him closly, keep up his fresh fruit and vegies and possibly add some vitamins? Good luck and please keep us updated.

• Member ID:  3,981

If he is as well as you say. Id check where he sleeps if he gets cold or a cool breeze it may cause runny droppings .

Thanks for the advice I guess moving after 5 years in the same house is pretty big for him. he won't eat fresh fruit or vege we have tried everything with him but no go. Not sure where to get vitamins but will check that out.

We don't have an avian vet near us and the local vets don't look at birds so we can only try our best and hope thats enough.

We will try to make sure that we cover the birds at night from now on incase there is a draft didn't realise that can cause runny poo.

He seems to be fine and loves the bath he gets when the bum is really bad.

:blush:

will try to get a picture to post asap.

• Member ID:  3,892
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  36
  • Achievement Points:  260
  • Birthday:  15/02/1963

Hi there

I was wondering how long ago you wormed your birds?.are you feeding greens like lettuce as they can cause runny poo(if you are..stop)If it was me,as a precaution,i would go to my local bird dealer/pet shop and buy a bottle of sulphadim or coccivet and give it to both your birds for 7 days.Birds are funny little creatures,they dont present with symptoms untill on deaths door,because in the wild if they showed early signs of sickness they would ultimately be fair game for other birds.Your alternative is to take a poo sample to a bird vet and get them to test it for you,checking for disease etc;mind you this is not a cheap undertaking,it probably be in the region of $50/$70 or more,but try to find a true bird vet..

Hope this helps ... cheers

Hi there

I was wondering how long ago you wormed your birds?.are you feeding greens like lettuce as they can cause runny poo(if you are..stop)If it was me,as a precaution,i would go to my local bird dealer/pet shop and buy a bottle of sulphadim or coccivet and give it to both your birds for 7 days.Birds are funny little creatures,they dont present with symptoms untill on deaths door,because in the wild if they showed early signs of sickness they would ultimately be fair game for other birds.Your alternative is to take a poo sample to a bird vet and get them to test it for you,checking for disease etc;mind you this is not a cheap undertaking,it probably be in the region of $50/$70 or more,but try to find a true bird vet..

Hope this helps ... cheers

I have never wormed my birds do they get worms? where from:? Will go to the pet shop tommorow and see about getting worming stuff. for them.

No they won't eat lettuce or any other fresh fruit or vege.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

I am going to be devils advocate and say your bird probably doesn't have worms they usually don't get them unless a new bird has come in or you have them more in an outside aviary setting. I am going to suggest that you use the Avian Vet Look-up and see if you can find a vet in your area or even within an hour of yourself. I would also call local vets and see if they know or can suggest someone.

Runny poo can be a sign of a bacteria or viral digestive issue going on or it can be nothing. The only way you will know for sure is if they do a gram stain from the poo (which this test is very inexpensive) then and only then you will know if you should medicate your bird.

I don't advise medicating a bird unless you have a lot of experience with doing this sort of thing. I personally wouldn't medicate my bird because I don't have the experience with it. This is just my personal opinion and advice.

Keep us update.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Worming your bird when you first get it ( in Australian conditions ) is normal practice. Worms develop in cycles and a baby budgie can have worms from the parents and also from birds having come from aviaries with soil floors.

BUT since your budgie is 5 years old, I would say you have passed that stage, unless he is reinfecting himself by droppings. As Elly has said though it can also be from bacteria and they can easily get ecoli from a contaminated water source....easy to happen when seed drops into their water as it sours very quickly and smells really bad. A nasty cocktail to drink in no time at all. Or poop in their water. Food contamination from mice going through their food containers or their seed...cockroaches also can spread disease through their containers or seed. Not casting aspersions here at all. but sometimes the seed we use can have "issues" .

And then there is stress and you know you have had some of that going on.

A budgie medicine cabinet should always have some sulpha medicine in it for diarrhea....called sulpha Q, sulpha D or suplha 3. If a budgie has runny poos at my aviary, it goes straight into the hospiatl cage with a warm lamp and some sulpha meds in the water. This isnt a cure all as often times there is more going on and you have to work it all out or seek medical advice if necessary.

Just like we take a childs temperature...the sign of a budgies health is checked by always checking their bottom and droppings. When I walk through my aviary, I dont look the books square in the eye....I am the one peering under the perches and looking up their butts for signs of any sick birds. If any have poopy bottoms...then I treat as described above...straight into the hospital cage and so on. No delays.

:)

PS a handy link about birds droppings

http://www.birds-online.de/gesundheit/gesa...katorkot_en.htm

Edited by KAZ

:(Laughing out loud): I know not funny but I pictured you looking at budgie bums okay that is cute :) on a serious note Kaz knows what she is talking about she is what I call "experienced" in the budgie field and would follow her advice if you don't feel comfortable medicating then again an avian vet trip is advised.

Thankyou all for your help we have no avian vet closer than 800km away so i will have to try to treat him myself.

you have all been soo helpfull and i am off to my local pet store now to get anything he may need i have also just bought him new seed and put it in a container that i hange every morning. He is chirping madly as I write this and arguing with his mate jasmine. I will update as soon as I know anything and thankyou all once again.

• Member ID:  3,245
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  23
  • Achievement Points:  185

Hi Tiabear

I live in Tweed Heads and take my babies to an Avian Vet in the Currumbin Valley. His name is Peter Wilson. I know it is still along way from Ballina, but he is passionate about birds and wildlife. It would probably take you an hour and a half to drive to him, not far by Aussie standards!!

Thankyou all for your help I have been to the pet shop today and have bought new seed and a sulpha solution to give them will give it about a week ans see what happens will keep you all posted on jake and jasmine's recovery.

You are all so helpful and I thankyou all so much.

;)

Hi all,

Just a quick update I have been giving both jake and jasmine sulpha solution yesterday and today and we have seen quite an improvement even in that short time. both appear happier and all poo's appear more solid so thankfully this appears to be working will continue to give them the medication for 5-7 days and update you all on their progress thanks again for all your kind words and advice.

Good progress thus far... fingers crossed to you all :hap:

Wonderful news.

Update for today,Both jake and jasmine apear to be more chirpy today poos looking almost normal. Jake has spent almost 3 hours eating seed so i guess he is feeling better. Thankfully it looks like thanks to you all we have been able to fix the problem thankyou all and if we ever need advice again this will be the first place we come.

You are all such nice people and we thankyou from the bottom of our hearts without you all we have have lost both our babies thankyou.

• Member ID:  3,776
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  556
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  4,660
  • Birthday:  10/02/1989

That's great to hear :D .

we have been nedicating jake and jasmine for 3 days now by mouth and in their water. Tonight when i medicated jake by mouth he regurgitated some seed is this normal or should we stop medicating by mouth and just put it in his water from now on?. (the medication has done wonders for him).

look forward to your advice

Tina

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

I dont know a lot about medications etc....but you may have gotten some of the meds in his windpipe by mistake, which would have made him choke and gag ....

The meds also might be a bit strong to put straight into their crop without it being diluted first. it might cause vomiting if its irritating the crop from being to potent.

we have been nedicating jake and jasmine for 3 days now by mouth and in their water. Tonight when i medicated jake by mouth he regurgitated some seed is this normal or should we stop medicating by mouth and just put it in his water from now on?. (the medication has done wonders for him).

look forward to your advice

Tina

If you are medicating by mouth I wouldn't also do it by water. You might be overdosing them. If you are giving them the required dose via beak (following the instructions on the bottle), you know they ARE getting it... as opposed to via water where you never know how much they are getting. The regurgitation of seed can happen for a number of reasons. Don't worry to much but keep an eye on him just in case it happens again. I'm glad they are looking up :(Laughing out loud):

Edited by maesie

I dont know a lot about medications etc....but you may have gotten some of the meds in his windpipe by mistake, which would have made him choke and gag ....The meds also might be a bit strong to put straight into their crop without it being diluted first. it might cause vomiting if its irritating the crop from being to potent.
I was only giving it in the mouth because thats what the instructions said on the bottle but i think i might stop and just put it in their water don't want to hurt my babies by being to nice.
we have been nedicating jake and jasmine for 3 days now by mouth and in their water. Tonight when i medicated jake by mouth he regurgitated some seed is this normal or should we stop medicating by mouth and just put it in his water from now on?. (the medication has done wonders for him).look forward to your advice Tina
If you are medicating by mouth I wouldn't also do it by water. You might be overdosing them. If you are giving them the required dose via beak (following the instructions on the bottle), you know they ARE getting it... as opposed to via water where you never know how much they are getting. The regurgitation of seed can happen for a number of reasons. Don't worry to much but keep an eye on him just in case it happens again. I'm glad they are looking up :(Laughing out loud):
I was just following the instuctions on the bottle which say to do both for 5-7 days do you think that is too much don't want to hurt them?

• Member ID:  3,771
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  6,621
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Achievement Points:  39,450
  • Birthday:  09/04/1911

It sounds like the meds are doing wonders :huh:

I agree with what maesie says... and just giving it to them in their water will be less stressful for all :)

It sounds like the meds are doing wonders :)

I agree with what maesie says... and just giving it to them in their water will be less stressful for all :D

mmm... if it says on the bottle to do both I'd keep it up (the seed issue is most likely unrelated) How many days have you got left? (just re-read :huh: , you've done 3 days) Maybe continue both for two more days and then the last two days just in water. I'm no expert though... mayb see what the other say. If it's working though it must be good. You also don't want to stop early. Like if we're on antibiotics and we stop before our tablets are finished, we usually get sick again!

Edited by maesie

It sounds like the meds are doing wonders :huh:

I agree with what maesie says... and just giving it to them in their water will be less stressful for all :)

mmm... if it says on the bottle to do both I'd keep it up (the seed issue is most likely unrelated) How many days have you got left?

been medicating for 3 so 2-4 days left