Wing Clipping

Guest Luckys Gal

Umm, I guess i'm not much of a bird person yet becuase i don't have one yet. And what do I have to show off? How did I imply that? Well how ever I didnt mean anything by that... Now i'm just confused bout the wings... One forum says do it... and another says its cruel witch I totally aggree with but wouldnt it be harder when trying to teach him, he will always fly away from you and I'd would be harder and if it was on my desk what are the chances it might fall behind? Well thanks for answering me so quickly answer these within 2 hours and i'll be good to go :)

:wub: <--This thing is so trippy

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my bird it's wings were clipped all of them in the cage were... My bird is just sitting on the perch just standing there is this normal? he/she is also very quiet normal also?

• Member ID:  70
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  847
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,535
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  30/09/1969

if you had your legs clipped you would just sit there. if she/he has been held a lot then it could be calm and just taking in the new suroundings

I didn't wanna clip them they were all clipped... Its still being VERY quiet and bearly moving but i got in on my finger a couple of times but i went from up his/her feet and went up saying up is this bad? I put my finger to his breast and it just sits there... So your telling me that it will just take time for it to start making noise and playing? Cause i'm worried, and i'm probably worried for nothing... Imma ganna be at this forum alot you guys seem to know alot :)

I have one bird = problem?

Guest budgieteen

if you are going to be with the bird alot then there is noe problem with having him by himself but if not yuo should invest in another bird.

not all budgies enjoy bouncing around and being loud maybe you have a hen? they are generallly more quiet

also you may not have a big enough cage/too big cage that can also stop a bird wanting to play

not another topic another forum... my cage isnt that small it has room and it steps up now everytime :wub: k i'll leave it for a couple of days i really want to know its okay. Oh it chirped this morning when i took the cage cover off, And my cat is going crazy she wont leave my room door when she gets in shes all purring and when shes out she gets all mad (Laughing out loud).

Guest budgieteen
It just sounded weird to me what u said anywayz sorry bout that.

& your budgie is just adjusting to his surroundings it may take him a few weeks to start chirping & moving alot more.

But i have found if u have 2 or more budgies they help eachother settle in more since the budgie u have will feel lonely because it has been seperated from others.

So if u bought the bird 4 a companion u should NOT buy any other birds but if u want to  ie. breed u should get a hen 4 him or just another budgie as his friend.

& there isn't a topic where it says wing clipping is good i think were all against it?????

i do not think he was saying he likes to clip birds wings, he said his was clipped already clint.

Yup im a she :wub: Imma ganna leave nero for a week and if he didnt die or still isnt moving im going to get a green budgie from pets mart i think it just needs a friend i also turn on the raido when i leave i think i needs a bit of noise

Guest tequilabudge

im a new member. my name is kate and i'm 16. i have 3 budgies, one is my "baby" and 2 are my breeding pair. i also have a solomon island eclectus, i noticed before that someone else has an eclectus they are WONDERFUL birds, mine is male. 3 out of my 4 birds have clipped wings, there is nothing wrong with it if you do it right and don't hack off feathers that shouldn't be cut, they can still fly a good distance and out of danger. my "baby" is the only budgie in my house that is full flighted

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  610
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

Hello, and welcome to our forums!

Guest tequilabudge

thanks, glad to be here, i hope some of my bird hospital experiences are helpful to a few people at least. i'd really like to hear back from the person with the eclectus.

Guest tequilabudge

sorry but they aren't seen too much in captivity and i don't know anyone else that has one and i get excited when i find someone who has one

Guest birdlover12

Hey, welcome to the forums :blink: :(Laughing out loud): !

And u r SO RIGHT, there is nothing wrong with wing clipping as long as u do it right!

My birds (as I mentioned in other forums) have been breeding so i haven't clipped their wings 4 a LONG time, 'bout 2 months!

There is NOTHIN' wrong with wing clipping, it's normal, every1 has their own opinion!

It's just like seeds to us in the U.S. it's bad and over there in Australia it's good,

here wing clipping is normal, and over there it's wrong!

Clipping wings isn't like cutting an arm off, it's just like clipping ur nails.

U r not cutting the whole wing off, it's just the tips of the feathers, and they grow back :wub: <_< :) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest tequilabudge

i agree completely. tequila, my green budgie, is full flighted at the moment because i let her go full flighted during the winter when there aren't doors and windows open, she also stays in my room where she is safe. that sounds like a pretty fair deal to me, she gets to fly around for half the year.

And u r SO RIGHT, there is nothing wrong with wing clipping as long as u do it right!

no you are so wrong it is not okay to clip wings :wub:

There is NOTHIN' wrong with wing clipping, it's normal, every1 has their own opinion!

its normal????????? :blink:

sorry havnt seen many wild birds with there wings clipped :)

Clipping wings isn't like cutting an arm off, it's just like clipping ur nails.

cutting a toe nail doesnt stop you walking for as long as you like clipping wings does stop birds flying :wacko::(

Guest budgieteen

its okay expressing opinions and that but you cant just say like no its bad you need to say why you don't agree with it but it is up to anybody who has a bird to decide to do it or not but i am rather undecided i am feeling that it is bad at the moment though seeing as it partially disables the bird for what i can see as no fit reason

the reason it is bad is there is no justification in it

you can tame a bird with out doing it place a bird in a cage or aviery if you want to open a window

i totally agree with you

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  610
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

"no you are so wrong it is not okay to clip wings "

I totally agree with you Hath.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

This is a volatile topic, isn't it? :wub:

Over here (USA) many pet stores do not keep the birds in cages. They have their wings clipped so they cannot fly out of the enclosure (it is open on top). They have much more room this way. By the time the birds arrive in the pet stores, they are older birds and are harder to tame. My birds were clipped when I bought them. They were not nervous because they couldn't fly. They were nervous because they were chased by a strange hand, captured, taken from the pet store in a box to my house, given a new home, and didn't know me from the man in the moon. For all they knew, they were lunch. It is easier to tame a budgie with clipped wings because they cannot fly away. If they fall, you save them. It does create a bond. You still have to go about taming in the same way as if they were flighted, but once you have them hand-tame and take them out of the cage, they are very transportable if you want to take them wherever you go in the house without worrying about them getting somewhere they shouldn't. It also keeps them from falling into water in the sink or toilet and drowning, landing on a hot stove if they fly into the kitchen, and keeps them from going headfirst into the window and giving themselves a concussion. The birds can fly after the next moult, and since my birds are tame, I have left them flighted. They know where it is safe to fly, and I don't have to spend an hour chasing a bird that doesn't want to be caught to be put back in the cage if I need to leave. I don't clip my birds wings anymore, and don't intend to clip the babies. But the babies will be tame because I can work with them very early in their lives so there is no need. I understand why people clip their birds wings and most reasons are for indoor safety. These are not aviary birds. I agree that birds are obviously happier when they can be birds, and that includes flying. My birds get great joy out of chasing each other in flight around the room. The babies are getting into the act too (but that is a total other topic). But maybe this will help you understand why some people clip their birds wings.

Guest PyscoFalcon

They shouldn't be that scared in the first place!

Main reason why to by from breeders and not pet shops.

Breeders should handle the birds from a young age to get them used to people therefore they'll already be tamish and not need wing clipping.

All windows should be netted so they DON'T fly into them, birds should not be allowed into the kitchen or bathroom either! Keeping the doors to these rooms closed would prevent any of those things happening.

With clipped wings they could be sat or stepped on.

Have you seen a bird very upset and struggling to climb around and walk/run across the floor. Have you seen a bird get very frustrated when it can't fly to where it wants to go? Seen them plummet like a stone to the gound? Be that aggitated they start plucking, biting and other behaviours as they have to rely on you to take them where they want to go? Let's face it - how many people understand where they want to go or what they want?

I have - when I rescued my parrot her wings were horribly clipped and she was that frustrated and agitated she had to run and climb, and rely on me to get everywhere she became a savage biter, destroyed everything and won't let ayone near her wings.

Now she has her wings in good nick again and can fly around she's so much happier and hasn't bittern since.