Veggies, Cooked Or Raw

Hi, I usually grate carrot and lettuce for my budgies and i would like to try them with brocoli and cauliflower and other veggies, Can you give it to them raw or do you cook it first. Also a friend of mine said corn on the cob is good for them but i havent tried it yet, does that have to be cooked.

I have tried them with fruit but they will not take to it yet they love their carrot, is there any tips on trying to give them fruit.

Thanks

Raw veggies washed well is always best because it hold more nutrients and budgies tend not to like mush (but when they are used to it will eat it I know). You can cook it if you want also. Either way is fine.

Guest *BUUZBEE*

Mine are always raw :bluebudgie: the only thing cooked would be potatoes and beans

Mine get it raw. As for getting them to try the fruit or new veggies mixed with in together with the carrot.

i give my birds raw greens. i grow my own silverbeet, have an orchard and will soon plant corn seeds. mine arnt interested with carrot or apples but love silverbeet and really love corn on the cob. i've also cut an orange in half and they have picked at it so i might try another soon. i also have milk thistle growing in my backyard for the birds

Mine are always raw :P the only thing cooked would be potatoes and beans

Good comment raw potatos are on the unsafe food list I believe.

Raw potato is bad for Budgies I think it has something to do with it expaning or something, I just know it is bad.

I tried the cooked vegs once but Harley would not eat them, he LOVES snowpeas and when I say LOVES I mean LOVES!

I peg my vegs around the cage (yes just with a normal peg) that way they have to move around to get them, it becomes almost a game for them, they can see the bright pens and go to discover what is attached to them.

Yup, raw is best for maximum nutrition. And corn is something budgies just LOVE. One comment on it though... They love it cuz its sweet. And being sweet means it has a lot of sugar. While is it by no means bad for them, limiting the amount they get is important if you want them to eat foods full of good vitamins and nutrition.

Just offer them fruit in different ways, with their carrots, without, cut into different sizes, etc. And just keep offering it to them. Some day one of them will be curious enough to try it and they'll be hooked! And again, limiting the fruit is a good thing because of high sugar content again.

• 1 month later...

I have one of those friut poles. A metal pole that I put differnt slices of fruit and veg's on I find it goods cause the eat the ones they like first and then try the other ones, Harley never really ate veg's but now he is eating more and more cause Blue is really good about eating his greens