• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  102
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  660
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

keep us updated and when he is better I would work on boosting his immune system during those times of stress.

How would you boost his immune system, Elly? Which product do you feel is the best?

I also meant to mention again that Lukie is eating voraciously. I have never seen him eat so much or so frequently! The vet looked at the seed and husks he leaves and feels that he is definitely eating the seeds, although he does sift through them for his favourites. It is so unusual for him to eat like this - there must be some connection?

Thanks again, Elly.

Luv

Vonn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Since he is going to town on his seeds have you gotten the vitamins that you can either put in water or on the seed? You may want to add a little bit of pellet

• Member ID:  1,775

Since he is going to town on his seeds have you gotten the vitamins that you can either put in water or on the seed? You may want to add a little bit of pellet

Yes, I got the vitamins. The vet asked me to use Avipro as he says it will help Lukie cope with the effects of the antibiotic. It can give him a yeast infection and taking the Avipro may stop this happening.

It's a good idea about the pellets! I will get some. I was going to wait until he is well.

I'll let you know how things go.

Luv

Vonn

My poor little Lukie is not well today. He has been fluffed up all the time and has started vomiting. (He started vomiting, after a week, on this antibiotic the last time. I don't think it agrees with him at all.) He keeps asking for more seed and gets quite worked up if we don't get it quick enough. He wastes most of it and is not eating much as his droppings are few. They don't look all that good anymore either. They seem a little looser today. I phoned the vet first thing, but he has only just returned my call, as he had a very hectic day. He sounded so tired. I am taking Lukie in tomorrow and he will decide what to do. I have asked him to treat him for megabacteria and he has more or less agreed to do it. He says he will decide which drug to use but I want him to use Megabac.! It seems the best one. I also asked him to please give Lukie the first dose, at least, by injection. He said it is too toxic that way. He will give it to him in his crop with a feed each day. It means many long hours travelling but that doesn't concern us. We want to give Lukie the best chance. If after five days of treatment, there is no improvement, then he wants to put Lukie to sleep. I can't bear it. My precious little boy.

Luv

Vonn

oh so many hugs, I am so sorry to hear this :(

Will keep Lukie in our thoughts.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l'm sorry that Lukie doesn't feel good today. :)

Lukie remains in my prayers and thoughts.

l'm sorry that Lukie doesn't feel good today. :(

Lukie remains in my prayers and thoughts.

Thanks, birluv. He went to the vet today and had a crop feed, which he will have every day, while we wait for the drugs to arrive. They did not have them in the surgery for some reason. Lukie is not eating anything now and is going to be kept alive with crop feeds.

Evidently, Megabac-S has been discontinued by Vetafarm due to the cost of production. I have just read that amphotericin B (Fungilin) has been unavailable in the UK since 2006. I do not know the reason. These are the most effective drugs for this condition. I am not sure what the vet is going to give him. I feel it is too late. My husband refuses to accept it and keeps saying that Lukie will pull through. I love this little bird too much to let him suffer. If it was just me, I would have him put to sleep, as hard as this will be. He looks so miserable and I can't stand it. I want to try and convince my husband that it is time to let him go but the vet keeps saying to him that there is hope. I don't believe there is hope, somehow. Another thing that upsets me is that the type of drugs used for this condition, are very toxic and will make Lukie feel very ill. I am just crying all the time.

Luv

Vonn

• Member ID:  3,495
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  137
  • Achievement Points:  925

Evidently, Megabac-S has been discontinued by Vetafarm due to the cost of production.

Vetafarm is literally just up the road from here, based in Wagga. But with you in the UK there is no way I could get any to you in time even IF they still had some (and that's a big IF).

Another thing that upsets me is that the type of drugs used for this condition, are very toxic and will make Lukie feel very ill.

There's some good reading here.

Seems "megabacteria" is not a bacteria at all, but a yeast infection! The drugs you refer to are mentioned in the article as the most promising for their anti-fungal properties. They also offer the following alternative:

"Another group of therapeutic agents which may help in managing Megabacteria, which initially might seem a little bit strange, are the acids.

Stress disrupts the normal bowel bacteria, in the process interfering with their lactic acid production. This lactic acid keeps the pH of the healthy bird's bowel on the weakly acidic side, in the process helping to protect it from disease. With stress, this innate protective mechanism can be lost. It is thought that by lowering (i.e. acidifying) gastric pH, an intestinal and stomach environment is created that not only makes it difficult for Megabacteria to establish in uninfected birds but also makes it difficult for Megabacteria to multiply in birds that are already infected. Usually, either citric acid (a white crystalline powder) at a dose of 1 teaspoon (3 grams) to 4.5 - 6 (litres or apple cider vinegar (acetic acid) 5 - 10 ml to 1 litre, are used. Being natural nutrients, at the above doses, there is no risk of a toxic reaction and so they can be used fairly freely.

Another possible useful and natural treatment that comes to mind might be honey (dissolved in warm body temp water). Not heat treated thou as that kills what useful anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties it has. Perhaps chemists or pharmacies over your way have some used for wound dressing that might be suitable, or health food stores may have some cold-extracted (not heat treated). Even better - if you know a bee-keeper ...

All the best of luck,

KathyW.

Oh gosh I am so sorry, BIG VIRTUAL HUGS to you and Lukie :(

Thank you so much for your concern - it's such a comfort at this time.

Kathyw, I was so very touched by you considering to post the drug to me - what a kind, caring person you are and I thank you very much. I feel that Lukie is too weak now to go through the treatment. It is a very toxic drug and I feel the bird needs to be in reasonable condition. Lukie isn't even attempting to eat. I think he just wants peace now and freedom from the suffering. I think the honey idea is an excellent one, but it would have to be fed by crop tube as Luke wouldn't drink it I am sure. He is just feeling too ill to try anything If he was better than he is, I would try this and use Manuka Honey from New Zealand. This is the purest honey, as there is no pollution in the area where they have the bees. It also has the more antibiotic and antifungal properties, I've been told. I really think it would be soothing as well to his crop which gets inflamed. Even if the vet managed to pull him through, the damage to his proventriculis will be ongoing. There must be damage to it now and it may be significant, as he has had this illness for months. Sometimes it even gets into the liver.

I read about acidifying the water with citric acid. Evidently this does help control the symptoms but is, of course, not a cure. As you can see, I have been doing my research!

I have convinced my husband that we should have Lukie put to sleep and he is so upset. He loves this little bird as much as I do. I think seeing Lukie this morning made him realise it is all too much for our little boy. I just hope the vet doesn't undo all my hard convincing and tell him to try treatment. My husband will grab at any straws offered. He may even change his mind on the way there, but I hope, for Lukie's, sake, he won't. I cried all night - just couldn't sleep. The thought of going to the vet this afternoon and having the deed done is too awful to contemplate.

I will let you know the outcome of this visit to the vet. Please pray for us. Thank you for all the wonderful support you have all given me through this. You cannot imagine what a help it has been.

Much luv

Vonn xxx

Oh gosh Vonn, my heart is breaking for you. You and your husband love this little guy so much and I know you are going to do what is best for him. You are both amazing.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Vonn, what a hard decision to make. The biggest hugz to you and give Lukie a little budgie kiss for me.

Feathers.

Hi everyone

Well, our darling little bird is suffering no more. He was put to sleep this afternoon.

We took him to the vet and I felt I would cope better going in on my own with Lukie. Seeing my husband so upset would make me fall apart. He is heartbroken, as am I. I took Lukie in and was determined to be brave, but Lukie was looking very nervous and that shattered me. He kept making his little 'I don't like this' tweet. I tried to comfort him but he seemed to know something was up. I really wanted to be brave, I really did, but I only just got the words out to the vet. He was very kind to me and said that he would make sure Lukie didn't suffer. Unfortunately, due to health and safety regulations in the UK, I was unable to be with Lukie when he was put to sleep. I found this so hard as I just didn't want him dying in a strange place with people he didn't know. He gets so frightened. The vet gave him some gas to put him to sleep, before he gave him the injection. so he wouldn't feel the pain of the injection I sat in the waiting room crying my eyes out. I couldn't talk to anyone as I was just too choked up. I took Lukie home in his box with his favourite toy with him. I held Lukie and he was still so warm. I had always wanted to kiss his soft little chest and head and I was able to do this. I told him how much he was loved and how much we will miss the sunshine he brought into our lives. I tucked him up in the box with his favourite toy. We buried him under the tree that he liked to watch in the garden. I put some plastic around the tissue covering him as Lukie always hated getting wet and we have had heavy rain here. I hated burying him as he was always so scared of the dark. I just hope that there is light all around him now forever and that someone up there will take care of our little angel for us.

Thank you for all your support and kindness. You are all very special to me.

Luv

Vonn xxx

I have followed this post with the ups and downs and my heart is breaking for you right because I have been there. I wish I could give you a real hug but here is a virtual one. You did so much for Lukie and he loves you so much for it. Tears stream down my eyes because when I read posts like your Vonn it make me know that there are such good people out there that truly LOVE their pets with their whole heart and souls like you and your husband.

Know your are both in my thoughts sweetie. RIP Lukie give Pretty a kiss for me we miss him so much :D

• Member ID:  3,495
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  137
  • Achievement Points:  925

R.I.P. dear Lukie.

Vonn, to you and your partner, remember the good times and let the bad times go ...

With respect,

KathyW.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hi Vonn, that was an act of great love, to give him peace and to be so thoughtful with his burial. Fly free and fly long in sunshine filled skies, Lukie.

*hugest hugz* to you and your husband.

Feathers.

Guest Phoebe
;) So sorry to hear about Lukie but you had no choice, I feel for you and your husband and can imagine how empty you feel. Again, dealing with bird rescue, I saw some very uncaring things again today but knowing all the effort you put into saving Lukie, I feel ever so much better. Take care, both of you. :D Lukie

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

l'm so sorry to hear this, you and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers. l know that you both gave Lukie the best care and so much love.

RIP Lukie ;)

A very big thank you, to each and every one of you, for your sympathy and lovely kind words. It is so comforting to know that you care. Thank you for all your support and help through this, as well. I always felt there was someone to turn to, who knew what we were going through, trying to save our little budgie, and would do their best to help.

I couldn't write anything yesterday as I was in tears on and off throughout the day. The living room was so terribly empty and the house so quiet. I found myself walking to the livingroom to sit with Lukie without thinking, and then realising he wasn't there any more. My husband has been so supportive and went and bought me a huge bunch of flowers - he's such a darling.

Today I am feeling a little more in control and I am keeping myself occupied so I cannot think too much. I will get over it, it will just take time. I never realised I could love a little bird so very much.

I will keep popping in to the forum to read the posts and, one day, I'll have another little budgie, but not for a while. I have learnt so much about these little birds. I now realise that it is not just provision of seeds, water and love that they need, but involves so much more. What a pity the pet shops (I will never buy a bird from them again) do not have a leaflet explaining all this to prospective owners. If I do get another bird, I will always buy from a reputable breeder and I will want to see how he cares for his birds first, as well. Another thing I know is you need to have a reasonable amount of money saved for vet bills, before even thinking of getting a budgie, if you are in my situation. Everyone needs to be aware of the costs of vet bills for birds before they get one. I will also make myself aware of the diseases and illnesses that budgies can get and the first signs and symptoms, before I take on another little bird.

I am going to try and trace the breeder of Lukie and tell them about the disease and suggest that they treat their flock immediately. Although they probably would have found out by now. I will contact them, anyway, just to be sure. Lukie had the signs from the beginning, had I only known how to recognise them.

One thing I want to ask is how do I go about sterilising all Lukie's toys perches etc etc? Do I wash everything in soapy water and then spray with F10 disinfectant? Should I use the strongest solution or would this leave a toxic residue? I want to be sure this bacteria is wiped out. A number of the toys are wooden and cannot be soaked in a sterilising solution. Would washing and spraying with F10 be sufficient to kill the bacteria completely?

I loved this forum and spent many hours reading the posts. I so enjoyed reading about your budgies and the cute things they did and also sharing Lukie's little quirks! I will always be grateful for all I learnt about budgies from you - I was so uninformed about budgies and their needs. Awful to admit, but true.

Thanks once again to all of you. You really are lovely, caring people with big hearts.

Much love

Vonn xxx

Guest Phoebe

:hap: You know, I would probably get rid of everything as it can't be autoclaved, sad I know, but let us eradicate all potential sources of disease. I know it feels bad to lose all sense of Lukie but it is probably for the best. And, when the time is right, you can get a new buddy, cage and accessories. :P Hope you are feeling somewhat better but it will take time. :(

I would agree with with Robin said and just get rid of everything and start fresh. Again hugs.

Thanks, Phoebe and Elly. I will do that - it will be so costly as Lukie had a packet full of toys, which I imported for him!! Oh well, it far worse to pass on the disease to another bird.

I am starting to feel a better - finally stopped bursting into tears at any reminder of Lukie. I am now concentrating on the happy times I spent with him. I miss him dreadfully.

Much luv

Vonn xx