• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Excellent news for the two survivors Kerrie. You played your part in their survival, so please pat yourself on the back for that :angel1:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member ID:  3,073
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  750
  • Birthday:  14/09/1978

My reward is that they are alive and that makes me so happy :wub:

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

that is good to hear Kerrie that your efforts have been rewarded :wub:

• Member ID:  3,086
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  84
  • Achievement Points:  475

Hi Kerrie

That's excellent news that the last 2 survived. What colours are the poor little budgies and males or females out of interest? I keep thinking of the state you must have found the poor little souls and are wondering about them both. Were they english or normal budgies?

I hope that the Avian Vet does keep them (or you!). If the owners do seem to be a pack of deadbeats (my money is on this personally), maybe he can say that they'll need constant treatment and vet checks for 12months due to the state of their kidneys and then convince the owners that it'll cost $1000s to the point where they don't want the liability of the remaining two.

Hopefully he can be sufficiently "creative" to the point that they do go to a good home. The owners may even have to hand them over if they are found to be unfit to own animals. Not sure how that works.

I wouldn't personally accept the explanation that the carer (if they exist) thought the seed husks meant the bowl was full - especially if there's no water either. Sounds very suss to me.

And congratulations for your rescue - you did great and should be proud of yourself.

Turbs.

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Hopefully he can be sufficiently "creative" to the point that they do go to a good home. The owners may even have to hand them over if they are found to be unfit to own animals. Not sure how that works.

Yep, the RSPCA can recommend that they be banned from owning that type of pet again. It is up to the judge in the case to decide whether to hand down that order.

Great going, Kerrie. Even if only one had been saved it was well worth it.

Feathers.

• Member ID:  2,626
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  206
  • Achievement Points:  1,460

Congratulations Kerrie!

You did a wonderful thing.

Please keep us updated if you can, I for one am curious if it was a bad choice of bird sitter or straight out neglectful owners. For sure someone should be prosecuted, to bring justice for those lives that were lost.

And a timely reminder to us all, just how dependant upon us, our delightful little bird friends are.

As far as I know the vet is allowed to refuse to allow the budgies back to the owners if he thinks they are neglectful. I do not think RSPCA will be letting them have them back they are pretty mad about the whole thing they reckon on the evidence that it was neglect.

I would take the budgies if they needed rehoming and someone who could afford the vet bills. However the avian vet thinks there great, he fell in love with them reckons they the strongest little birds ever. And what better owner then an avian vet if they have any more health problems.

Turbs they are a male and female. The male is a cobalt blue colour and the female is a yellow spangle( i think looks like mine without the green tinge), and they normal pet budgies. I have been to see them they don't even look like the same birds, I think even their feathers look brighter. They still look a bit rough but hey they nearly died.

That's great news kerrie. Hope the vet and the RSPCA don't allow them back. Maybe the birdies can now become a pair. It's nice that they have each other as company.

Hope those **** people pay the poor vet's bill too. I'm sure many vets end up working for nix in these sorts of cases.

Turbs.

:D Sounds like a good rule to me! Maybe Kerrie is destined by fate to have a couple more budgies. :ausb:

I know I have birds that I never wanted to add but it just kind of happened and I LOVE them all, fate is a weird thing! :ygbudgie:

Yeah I think the owners will have to pay him for his services even if the birds are not returned to them which I think is highly unlikely they will get them back. My friend the normal vet said that the fines sometimes include the vets fees so that the vet who provided the care is reimbursed.

Dont worry I tried to get him to give me the bill since I was the one that brought the birds to him on a weekend no less. He wouldnt have it told me my money was no good, with a big grin on his face. I love him and Ive known him for all of 2 days, absolutely fab person. Anyway he reckons he will keep the birds so why should I pay, so I gave up.

The people you meet in a crisis never ceases to amaze me :angel1:

That was really good of you kerrie. You'll just have to go back to him and use his avian vet services or spread the word about his business... What a nice bloke he is. It's just unfortunate that there is always some miserable ***** that can't look after animals. I was actually wondering if the owners may even come back today with the work week starting again tomorrow..... We'll see I guess.

:D

Well the owners came back today, your psychic Turbs :ausb: . Anyways there was a lot of commotion apparently Ive got all this second hand from my friend whose the neighbour.

Anyway they got home the RSPCA had managed to contact them. Apparently they did hire a birdsitter a paid one with strict written instructions. Obviously not carried out cause the birds are dead. Thats not all the poor owners have lost $3000 in show birds there was shows in that avairy with the normals I did see the difference in sizes when I was in there.

My friend says her neighbours are going to sue the sitter she was from a company :D but the worst bit is they have a young boy and the sitter didnt look after his handraised cockateil it was dead in the cage inside also he is absolutely devastated. My friend says that they are kicking themselves for not getting someone they knew to do it they thought a company would be the best way to go.

They have apparently got in contact with the vet and are paying for his services.

Not so bad after all these poor people paid someone to look after their birds and they didnt do it. I hope that sitter gets hit hard (i cant say what I want to cause it swearing) and the company needs to review their employee screening I think.

Edited by kerrie

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Wow. My goodness. The poor family and the poor boy. His handraised Cockateil. That's horrible. They obviously loved their birds very much. Poor family. I know I just couldn't bear it if I came home to something like that. Any further news on what is happening with the two budgies? The family might like to meet you and thank you for saving their birdies.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

This is dreadful. A pet sitting agency should be way more responsible ! What will they blame...a glitch in paperwork ? They have devastated a lot of people here and I feel so badly for that family and the little boy. What an end to their holiday, to come back to this. :)

Yeah I have talked to them on the phone my friend gave them my number (asked me first tho).

They were glad that at least 2 of the birds didnt meet the same fate as the others. They just wanted to say thanks but were still a bit too much in shock to say much. Their little boy was just devastated.

I just felt so bad about the teil I didnt even think that there would be a bird inside.

I dont understand how an agency could be so irresponsible, alot of suffering for the birds, the boy is emotionally suffering and the owners lost alot of birds they loved. I can't even begin to imagine how they feel, I know how sick I felt when I found them and they werent even my birds. :(

With the budgies once the RSPCA has finalised who they are charging they should be able to have them back everything involves paperwork.

Hope they sue that agency for everything they have stupid irresponsibl mongrels :)

• Member ID:  2,977
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  2,031
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  13,850
  • Birthday:  08/08/1965

Oh my goodness, this was just what I feared. I feel so bad for the family :) As I said previously I couldn't even imagine the horror of finding my birds like that. How very awful for them.

I hope the RSPCA throws the book at the sitter, AND at the company. This is unforgivable.

A sad Feathers.

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

that is so sad , l feel bad for the owners and their boy . what a shock to come home to this :)

Kerrie you did a great job in rescuing those two budgies .

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I can't believe a company would be that irresponsible. I hope they get into A LOT of trouble, especially the sitter. URGH!! That poor poor family. :)

What a terrible thing for those poor people. Let's hope that this company gets sued.

• Member ID:  2,952
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  862
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Achievement Points:  6,745
  • Birthday:  16/05/1972

This is the saddest thing I have heard in a long time.Hope the company and the person working for them gets whats coming to them.

:D Well at least we know the truth but it is still so sad. Pet sitters cannot always be counted on, remember a few months ago, Mindy the budgie that I got from a free ad, quarantined her and gave her to avian rescue where she got adopted by a friend of the organization's founder? There was a livein pet sitter involved there as well as the folks had 2 dogs but we went through a record heat spell and Mindy's young male companion died and it was always a suspicion that perhaps they weren't watered/fed enough and kept out of the heat in their lousy little cage. My condolences to the family and hope the responsible person can be held accountable. :( And Kerrie, you are a hero. :)

And Kerrie, you are a hero. :)

Thanks but I did what anyone else here would have done.

Anyway been talking to the owners and they due to get the budgies back at the end of the week (estimation by the RSPCA when the paperwork is sorted). They setting up a big cage for them indoors where they can keep an eye on them. I've been round their house for a coffee they are such lovely people but you can see the devastation etched on their face.

And the young boy Andrew is not dealing to well with the loss of his teil, he is only 10 poor little man.

The owners Jess and Paul are pretty upset and said they might just get rid of the avairy and not have alot of birds again :D I suggested maybe they wait and see how they feel when they have come to terms with the loss.

I just feel so sorry for them and there is not a strong enough word for the anger I feel at the person responsible :wub:

At least two survived I guess and they are doing really well I hear.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

That's so good they're getting the two survivors back, at least they haven't lost EVERYTHING that way. :D Poor kid, losing his special pet. That would kill me coming home to find my pets dead, worse knowing it was in the hands of someone you thought could be trusted. :wub:

• Member ID:  2,476
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  607
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Achievement Points:  4,290
  • Birthday:  28/02/1987

This is awful :wub: I feel so sorry for those people.

I hope the sitter gets what they ***** deserve. I feel sheer disbelief that a company that gets paid to do one thing managed to fail so miserably.

Kerrie, you did a great thing, thank goodness those two are doing well.