Baby Budgies Need Food, Mother Died!

Guest mangoman

Guest mangoman

hi, ive done a quick search couldnt really find what i was after!

our female budgie died today and its a holiday and all the pet stores are closed. the father budgie does help

out feeding the babies a little but i fear its not enough.. any idea of what food we can give them?? crushed seed with a little water will that be okay for a day until pet stores open again???

i cannot get hold of any formula, the babies are about 3 weeks old!!

any advice would be much appreciated!!

many thanks

mango

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Hi there, I don't know much about this aspect of budgies, I did PM one of our members that breeds and hopefully she will be on. Many of our AU members are probably at work right now who do breed.

Right now I would check to make sure their crops are full. Most of the time, 1 parent can and will take care of the clutch without any problems.

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

In an emergency you can feed these babies on baby food mixed with baby cereal like say .....beef and vegies pureed with baby rice cereal. Make it slightly sloppier and feed with a syringe or a spoon bent at the end to form a spout. I raised a whole nest of baby starlings on such a formula. It'll work for now. Cheers Karen

Edited by budgiebird
Guest mangoman

thanks very much for the quick replies, both of you :blush:

budgiebird, we will try your baby cereal idea, sounds good. my wife said the babies crops look about half full.. its only been few hours since the mother died, why she died i have no idea, she looked fine yesterday ( i think).. any idea how often we should feed them? every 3 hours or so ??

many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mango

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

Hi there, I don't know much about this aspect of budgies, I did PM one of our members that breeds and hopefully she will be on. Many of our AU members are probably at work right now who do breed.
It's a public holiday in Aus today, so most people would probably be out and about enjoying themselves!

So sorry to hear about the mother dying :blush: I don't have any advice to offer, but best of luck hand rearing these tiny babies. How many are there? With the dads help, they should get some of what they would naturally get as well as your supplemented food. If dad's food isn't enough. Please ensure you keep a close eye on dad as well, so he saves some nutrients for himself and doesn't give his all to the babies. Good luck

Edited by Riebie

At 3 weeks of age I would think that Dad can feed them quite adequately. Just give him some egg and biscuit mix, and some fresh foods, as the biscuit mix is easy for him to feed, and they seem to prefer to feed their young vegies. Just keep an eye on the crop. Important feed is the last one at night, as they need to last all night.

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

3 week old babies are easy to rear. Weetbix are good very short term. Problem with crushed seed is you need to dehul them first which would be very difficult. 3 week olds only need to be fed every 4 hours or so during the day and a final feed probably around 10pm will last through to about 6am.

When I raised the 3 week olds I also had a lid from a jar with some sloppy weetbix in it - most times this was ignored but when the baby got older it helped itself to some during the night (also provided moisture if thirsty).

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

At 21 days Dad should be taking over full feeding any way. Keep an eye on dad to make sure he is feeding them. If you have any millet put it in the nest box. 100mm at a time and don't worry. Are you breeding them in an aviary or a breeding box?

Guest mangoman

hey thanks again for the posts, what a great forum, so lucky to of found it when we did..

The mother kept whistling to the father to feed her and I think she starved herself to death even

though she had food only three inches away from her at all times. what can we do to prevent this in the future? take the female away??

The father has been feeding them really well now, I always check the chicks crops every few hours and also we have been feeding them 2 or 3 times daily to take the strain off the male.. we have a small outside aviary, but we have a smaller cage with a nest box attached to the side that we use for breeding!

thanks for all your advice and will keep you all posted on their progress.

I have four babies in the nest which are due to leave the nest from the 6th May onwards.

One other question I would like to ask for further reference, which side of the pairing do the most colours come from : the mother or the father?

thanks once again for all of your thoughts

natasha

Edit : Thankyou all once again, the babies all survived the father really did his job well and weve learned a lot from this. Its a shame we lost the female but perhaps now we can carefully watch out for this and prevent it from happening again. also thanks for the link daz :)

mangoman

Edited by mangoman

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Natasha,

Colours come from both sides or from one side. It depends on the dominant gene. Green is dominant to blue so if the male is green and the female is blue the babies will be green. Or possibly Green split to blue.

Here is a post I put up. It may help you. :)