• Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Over the weekend I called in on a person selling budgies from his backyard. Primarily just to see what he was about as he has constant adds in the local paper for quite large numbers of budgies and because he is in the area I am moving into shortly. I must say I was a bit shocked at the state of most of his birds. There was a great number of them with advanced scaly face to the point of severe distortion of beak and face, another proportion of these budgies had tumours hanging from their bodies. How the birds with severe scaly face could feed themselves was a scary thought as beaks were totally mangled and diseased. Some of their beaks reached past the middle of the breastbone. The ones with tumours were stepping on the growths to hang onto perches. Many of these birds should seriously be put out of their misery in a humane way. He had many large aviaries with combined parrot, cockatiels and budgies in them. Other aviaries with various other birds. He was proud of the fact he had just sold 200 budgies to a guy in Fremantle who wanted to start up a business breeding budgies. But he still had around 150 odd budgies left. Mice and rats ran everywhere....in plague proportions through the cages and up the walls of his house. Any comments we passed were dismissed with an off the cuff remark. Obviously this is a money making venture but has gone past the point of this man caring anything at all about these birds. We went away shocked. Would a report to the RSPCA help? Please advise what course of action would be advisable here. If you saw this situation you would not be able to sleep thinking about it. :bluebudgie: :ausb: :angry::blink::blink::blink:

Read update at end of pages

Edited by budgiebird
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definately do a report to the RSPCA. As you said, some need to put humanely to sleep (yesterday!) and the rest need to stop breeding and recuperate. I would phone the RSPCA, and follow it up with a letter. That way, if they don't respond to your phone call for some reason, you have a second chance with your letter.

I would also phone the council's health department, as it is obviously a risk to the health of residents nearby to have rats in plague proportions (once you start seeing them like that, there are hundreds.) Most councils take rats quite seriously - many years ago my cats starting bringing dead rats home, and the council tracked the source and eradicated it. As I said to them, my cats aren't that good a hunters, if their bringing rats home there would be massive amounts, and they are just catching the slowest or sickest. Apparantly I was right

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  2

I would definately do a report to the RSPCA. As you said, some need to put humanely to sleep (yesterday!) and the rest need to stop breeding and recuperate. I would phone the RSPCA, and follow it up with a letter. That way, if they don't respond to your phone call for some reason, you have a second chance with your letter.

I would also phone the council's health department, as it is obviously a risk to the health of residents nearby to have rats in plague proportions (once you start seeing them like that, there are hundreds.) Most councils take rats quite seriously - many years ago my cats starting bringing dead rats home, and the council tracked the source and eradicated it. As I said to them, my cats aren't that good a hunters, if their bringing rats home there would be massive amounts, and they are just catching the slowest or sickest. Apparantly I was right

I am following up on that today with a call to the RSPCA and also a good idea about the council health department.....will talk to them too. I cant NOT DO ANYTHING !! :yelling:

MMm, also, he is running a business from home, (proof is the number of ads in the paper, and amount of birds sold), and without council approval he can be shut down. Just another way to get some action taken quickly for the sake of those birds

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:ausb: OMG how horrible.. When you talk to the RSPCA ask if they can kindly put the man to sleep too :bluebudgie: Let us know on how things go with your calls and i'm going to keep my fingers crossed that something gets done FAST :angry:

Good news. I have spoken personally with the RSPCA inspector and he sees it as worthy of a visit. He is going out there today and if not today he is going tomorrow. He will deal with the health department where necessary too..........WHOOPPPEEEE !!

Those birds will have you to thank for the end to their suffering. I am glad that finally someone has spoken up. Tell your man you deserve a big sloppy kiss, and a nice massage as a reward! :bluebudgie:

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Those poor birds I'm glad the rapca is looking into it.

:bluebudgie: Thats GREAT news! you are going to have alot of thankful little Angels looking over you :angel1:

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Good on you budgiebird you did the right thing.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

How people can treat innocent birds like that i just will never understand! Thank you for taking a stand and reporting him!!

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Well I do hope he does his job. In Australia I feel that the RSPCA has limited authority. Not like in the USA.

Lets all hope that the birds are the winners. ;)

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Yes I hope he does his job, so many times people get away with it because they know they are coming or they don't see it that severe. Keep up on them to do their job as Lin said. What a horrible situation, and I agree with Una.

• Member ID:  2,155
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  1,162
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Achievement Points:  7,840

That really saddens me to read that people are just so cruel to animals! I know it happens, but I'm always to shock to read things like that! Good on you for doing something about it. We need more people like you out there. I feel sorry for the guy that bought the 200+ budgies from this guy at the same time angry with him for the fact that he didn't report him to the authority!! His flock is going to start out with diseases and who knows what else... Oh well...

Great of you to report him, I hope he gets completely shut down and that the birds are confiscated and then properly taken care of. Please let us know when you hear more! And thanks for looking out for those little budgies. :P

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Poor little things. Thanks for reporting.

Guest pixie25

well done for reporting him. it wouldnt hurt to write to the council health department either. he should be shut down and may even face a hefty fine.

keep us posted on the actions taken against him.

Edited by pixie25

That really saddens me to read that people are just so cruel to animals! I know it happens, but I'm always to shock to read things like that! Good on you for doing something about it. We need more people like you out there. I feel sorry for the guy that bought the 200+ budgies from this guy at the same time angry with him for the fact that he didn't report him to the authority!! His flock is going to start out with diseases and who knows what else... Oh well...

I'm hopeing in that situation that the guy that bought them isn't such a Mug and that he maybe bought/ordered them over the phone and doesn't know the situation :) Or if he was aware of it that he did infact report them and was just keeping hushed over it so as to not let on.. I feel slightly better if i think of it that way :P

The RSPCA said if they couldnt get out there yesterday it would definitely be today. I will phone later and see what came of it. They may tell me the results, they may not. But at least I can sleep at night knowing I didnt just walk away and do nothing. I think the man who bought the 200 budgies would be wondering by now what is wrong with his birds. Hopefully he will seek advice and treatment for them.

I hope they let you know something but that's true. It's good to know that you did what you could rather than nothing at all. :)

As far as the guy who bought the 200 birds? I can't think of a scenario where someone buying 200 birds would actually care all that much about them. I mean, how many people can possibly afford vet care for 200 birds?

As far as the guy who bought the 200 birds? I can't think of a scenario where someone buying 200 birds would actually care all that much about them. I mean, how many people can possibly afford vet care for 200 birds?

:) Yeah, the poor little birds.. They dont really seem to have a hope do they :P

Edited by una

I hope they let you know something but that's true. It's good to know that you did what you could rather than nothing at all. :)

Yes you are right. He said the man who bought the 200 budgies had bought them as a small business venture. I would believe that people who care enough to use a forum like we do here would care about their birds no matter how many they had. Some people dont see things the same way. I put so much time and care into mine that I am sure when it comes to finding new owners for my babies, I would be vetting them very carefully, especially about their knowledge. I have already designed a budgie care sheet with this website address attached. My only worry is that I will love all my babies sooooo much that I wont want to part with them two more born today................I still cant get over how tiny they start out and how strong they are :unsure::D

Bleh. I wish people would understand that breeding animals is not profitable if you do it the right way. Then again, anyone looking to breed for the purpose of making money probably doesn't care that they're doing it wrong. :unsure:

I would have trouble parting with the babies too.

Bleh. I wish people would understand that breeding animals is not profitable if you do it the right way. Then again, anyone looking to breed for the purpose of making money probably doesn't care that they're doing it wrong. :D

I would have trouble parting with the babies too.

I had always thought that taming budgies would be in the "too hard" category. The more I handle the babies, the more they get used to me and become more gentle in nature and spirit. So by the time my babies need to own a human being, they should be halfway there in the taming business. If I didnt have two cats (his and mine) I could do it properly with a bird or two inside. But for now....NOT. Pity. :unsure: