• Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

I have tried and tried and tried to put up with Bobby's biting, but he gets so agressive and really attacks me, making angry dolphin noises and taking chunks out of whatever flesh he can grab a hold of :dbb1:. There have been many tears and tantrums on my behalf as I wonder where have I gone wrong to have such an angry budgie. There are heaps of sweet moments, he talks now, and sits on my shoulder and hair and steps up (most of the time) but interrupt him and you will cop it.

I am thinking now of getting another budgie and using quarantine to really tame it well, I will get one that has been handled from hatching, from a breeder and with all the knowledge that I have obtained from this forum, hopefully bond well with this new one.

What will the consequences be for Bobby if I do this? I am hoping that he will become a copy cat and want to bond with me also, or is it too late for him and he will never bond to me now??? Does anyone think this is a good or bad idea, or have any ideas as to how I may be able to bond better with Bobby... I also think it would be good for Bobby to have a friend, as I work long hours and the house is empty most days.

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

Well having observed Blinkie's effect on Ozzie (because in my case Blink is more tame), Ozzie has definitely warmed up to people more since he's seen Blinkie racing over to play on my head, shoulders, fingers, etc. He's much more willing to step up and even ventures over to join Blinkie if Blinks is playing with me. So maybe if you are able to bond SUPER well to the new baby then the babies tameness would rub off on Bobby. However, i would worry that the baby would be more likely to just become less tame and become slightly more birdy because of Bobby. I think this because your bond with the new baby will only be new and if he sees Bobby misbehaving then he'd probably copy. It would also depend entirely on the bird, some budgies stay tame with company and others become slightly less tame. Some things you could do to strengthen your bond with Bobby...does he have a SUPER favourite food? If he does you could offer that to him from your hand everytime you ask him to step up. Other than spending loads and loads of time with him i can't really think of anything else, i know everyone else will have some more ideas though. :dbb1:

• Member ID:  2,060

He does love his millet, but when I hold it, he attacks my hands as well!!! I would be really worried if I then have 2 budgies that are both agressive. I understand that most budgies aren't super tame, and don't like to be petted like they are a cat or dog, and I would be super happy with Bobby if he didn't bite and attack so much. He really is quite sweet when he's not agressive :dbb1:! He will never let me scratch his head or anything like that, and I am okay with that, but I just can't handle the biting anymore!!!

Bea how old was Ozzie when you got him, and was he from a breeder or a pet shop??? Thank for your help though, I do try to spend as much time equally between him and the dogs and the cat has to be locked up when he is out as well, so I can't keep him locked up all the time...

I know how you feel about your hands being attacked when you have millet.....*glares at Pudding*

Ozzie was about 6 weeks old when i got him from the pet shop but rather than a birdy bin or an aviary he was in a small cage with only a few other baby budgies so he hadn't learnt how to be a turd yet. :dbb1:

But now Ozzie has Blinkie to teach him that :D:D:P I think you can probably tame him up a fair bit before you get another one. Sorry, no tips for you, my budgies hate me

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Sounds like it should work, especially if the new bird is really tame. But I'm no expert. I don't really have any bad biters. Bobby may just be so thrilled to have another of his own kind around that he will forget about biting.

Guest Thirtyfive Black

from what I learned when coco was doing this same thing is that he thinks he is the boss. by being eye level & above, to him, means he is in charge. We were told no more ridding on the shoulder or head. He had to learn we were the dominant members in this household!

I hope this tid-bit helped a bit! good luck

from what I learned when coco was doing this same thing is that he thinks he is the boss. by being eye level & above, to him, means he is in charge. We were told no more ridding on the shoulder or head. He had to learn we were the dominant members in this household!

Did this help Coco stop biting???

Thanks for the advice everyone, I was told that if I got him a friend, he would stop talking :) is this true???

Guest Thirtyfive Black

Did this help Coco stop biting???

Thanks for the advice everyone, I was told that if I got him a friend, he would stop talking :) is this true???

(Laughing out loud), no, but i still tote him around on my shoulder etc. :P

and i dont use my hands to pick him up, i use a chop stick

he thinks hes the boss & i gave up trying to change his bird brain!

Maybe I am mis-interpreting how bonding works, I thought that if a budgie is bonded to you then they love you and let you touch them and things like that. Bobby will sit on my finger and that's it. He wont let me touch him, and when I try I get attacked. I also get attacked when I am holding food, trying to remove food dishes or even out of the blue because he's having a bad day :(

He will quite happily sit on my finger for ages, and I talk to him and he cocks his head to the side, then he will climb all over me and even occasionally give me a kiss. So do I just have a bonded budgie who is also agressive. He has been like this ever since I've had him.

The first couple of days I didn't know anything about budgies, he was an Xmas present and I was really excited. So before i had properly finger trained him, I let him out of the cage and he crashed, and had to be rescued. After that he wouldn't let me near him for ages, and that's when the biting started. Perhaps I encouraged it by reacting to the bites (some drew blood they were that hard)... I love him to bits and he CAN be very sweet, but he is so Jeckyl & Hyde that I never know when I will be bitten...

I think I will save up for a bigger cage and then get a friend for him, would you suggest a male or female???

tame budgies are not at all like tame larger parrotts. you will never get a budgie that tame. Budgies don't like being 'petted', they like to talk to you, listen to you, throw things on the floor for you to pick up, and hang out with you. But touching is always at their initiation (or at least with mine it is).

I have tame tiels that I can stroke like a dog, but I would never expect to do that with a budgie

Well by all of those accounts then Bobby is extremely tamed, as he does all of that. I guess I am probably a little jealous of the likes of Bea & Blinks, and Una & Apple, and Brokendreams with her tame budgies. Although I am extremely happy with the level of attention I get from Bobby, all I really want is for him to stop biting me!!! okay and a head scratch would be good too!!! :dbb1:

Having tiels that enjoy a headscratch - no you don't! They demand constant headscratches, and it can be very irritating when you are trying to do other things!

Like a budgie biting your fingers when you are trying to type :(Laughing out loud): or hanging upside down in your face chewing your glasses!!!

You may be comforted to know that there is no way in the world i can pet or give head scratches to Blinkie. And Ozzie's growing out of head scratches too. :dbb1:

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

Boris still demands head scratches from me!

There are only 2 places I can give them to her, 1st is if I stick my finger in the bars of the cage which can get very awkward.

The only other time is if she is being sooky and sites on top of the cage right over the door, then she permits me to give her a head scratch.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

When he bites you how do you react? If you don't react and don't do anything AT ALL and you have been doing this for as long as you have had him and he still bites, I may have a solution ofr you.

You have to be careful though as it may work with some budgies and not for others, it may even encourage biting, but this solution worked for my budgie, who continuosly bit me even though I had been ignoring her bites for years and she is 4 years old too.

okay what you do is, when they bite you, you don't pull away, instead you push into their bite. You push their beak (lightly so as not to hurt them). The budgie doesn't like this, because it means that they could fall and it is also very uncomfortable for them. It means for them that when they bite they get pushed back and so they learn not to do it and because you are pushing their beak while they are biting you they learn to associate the two actions together. This worked almost instantly (within 3 days) for my Saffron and nowadays she hardly bites at all. And when she does all I have to do is remind her and she stops.

So I don't know if it works for other budgies (as I have only tested it on one budgie), it could even make their biting worse, but it worked for me and could be used as your last resort.

Guest JJ2571

I have found it very hard with Charlie and Joey as I expected to be able to train them to be the same as SB. Charlie was with SB for a few months and started to copy everything SB did. SB then passed away and after a few months we got Joey who is very timid and quite. Charlie and SB getting on so well they are inseperable and I am happy they get on so well. With SB I could do anything with him you could kiss him tickle his tummy, anything but with Charlie and Joey it has really been hard work they will sit on my finger and let me stroke their tummins whilst in the cage. Joey has just started to come to me when he is out of the cage, this has taken ten months to achieve. Charlie however when out of the cage will just fly around like a mad man. Joey cannot fly but gets very nervous when the mad man starts flying around.

Both Charlie and Joey have lovely personalties but I don't think I will have the closeness with them as I had with SB, they are too much in love with each other.

Just keep trying. My two budgies are deeply in love with each other but I am continuing to try and tame the one who isn't tame and slowly I'm getting there.

I am pleased to announce that I haven't been attacked for over a week now! :) I adopted Sailorwolf's method and adapted it to suit my situation and it has worked a treat! I am not sure if you think that this is appropriate, but I forced him to bite me by doing the things he hates me doing, and in this way, I know I had control of the situation, so everytime he went to bite, I was expecting it and pushed back on his beak. He didn't like it, and after a while he would give up and fly away! By taking the inititive this way and controlling the biting, it has stopped the attacks! I still can't touch him, but he just ducks away from my hand now, instead of trying to bite it!

The result is one very happy owner and a more contented budgie, and it has definitely increased our bond, as you have possibly read in this post. http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index.php?showtopic=9648

Thank you everyone for your help and advise! I am extremely grateful to you all! :)

I'm glad to hear it worked :P

It worked so well that I have offered it as advice to others!!! He still hasn't bitten me since! Even now when I provoke him! I am the happiest budgie owner!!! :P

Thank you so much!!