Help! I'm New

Guest Allie

Guest Allie

Hi - I've just bought my first budgie. Only got him yesterday and he's just beginning to make some chirpy chirpy noises. I do have a couple of questions though about what to do next.

He won't feed from the bowls although he will eat out of my hand - what's the best way to get him to feed on his own?

When can I get him out of the cage for the first time?

He seems quite tame already - he'll quite happily stand on my finger and let me stroke his chest but he will only sit on the middle perch and if you try to move him he'll just fly back there. Is this all normal????

Thanks for your help in advance. His name's Goose (no I'm not being ironic) as in the character from Top Gun. If all goes well with him I will add Maverick and Iceman to the family!!

Allie

xx

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Hi Allie and welcome to the forum.

Just spread some seed on the bottom of the cage. He will start to explore his suroundings and the first place he'll look for seed in on the floor. You can have his seed in his dish, he will find it.

Usually it is reecomended to leave him alone for the first two days so that he gets acustomed to his new home. Then you can start with all the loving.

Spend a lot of time with him and enjoy his company ;)

Edited by daz

Hi and welcome! Daz has given you good advice. I will just let you know that once he feels nice and settled, he will probably go through the 'escape at all costs' stage. He will scare the pants off you during this - you honestly think they will hurt themselves. It only lasts a short while, and is perfectly normal!

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

welcome !

hey Allie your bird sounds nice , do you have a name picked out ?

l would love to see any pictures if you have any ;)

Guest Allie

Thanks for all your help. His name is Goose. I do have some pictures but only from my phone so they are not great. Will put some up when I get my digital one back!!

He has really begun to settle in - the seed on the floor worked really well. He's finally found his food tray. Also got a perch that like a lump of wood which he loves. He's really beginning to chirp away so I gues it's time to start teaching him his name!!

I'll kep you updated on his progress!

Thanks again

Allie and Goose

xx

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

welcome you received some excellent advice, you feeding him from your hand too can create a bond quicker too :bluebudgie:

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Welcome and Goose sound wonderful. As to letting him out once he is happy to stay on your finger while you move your hand about then it would be fine to let him out. Using a small room for training at first is a great step.

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

Hi Allie, Goose sounds adorable.

I look forward to hearing all your funny stories you will have about him as you grow & bond. :)

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

Welcome :) We are happy to know you and Goose. You have a "goose" , I have a "chikken" .........does anyone have a turkey ? :hap:

Guest Allie

Goose managed to escape yesterday!! Luckily I had my door shut and my curtains closed but he went mad with his first taste of freedom!! Luckily he would sit on my finger and I managed to get him back in the cage! Think I need a bit more hand in the cage time before we try that one again!!

Edited by Allie

• Member ID:  1,976
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  521
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  25,294
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Achievement Points:  152,977
  • Birthday:  07/01/1956

:) :hap: PHEW !! What a relief you got him back. Many of us have lost birds in similar fashion.....very scary ! :o

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

when you let them out, start with a small room, bathrooms are great (with the toilet seat down), also a small room (office or bedroom), and a room that doesn't have high places to perch (especially if his wings are not clipped). Have millett or something he adores to eat in your hand for rewarding and training, and he only gets this when he perches on your finger. Do this for 15-20 minutes at least 1-2 x times a day and you will see improvement in a week or 2 :)

Guest Helen
when you let them out, start with a small room, bathrooms are great (with the toilet seat down), also a small room (office or bedroom), and a room that doesn't have high places to perch (especially if his wings are not clipped). Have millett or something he adores to eat in your hand for rewarding and training, and he only gets this when he perches on your finger. Do this for 15-20 minutes at least 1-2 x times a day and you will see improvement in a week or 2 :)

Hi Allie and Goose, and welcome! I'm new here too. I just want to say, I think you have chosen a lovely, already tame and friendly bird in Goose. Feeding from your hand is great for making friends. It is also handy that he got out and flew around without invitation -- this actually happened with my very first pet budgie, Peter, when I was a little girl a long time ago! In his first week or so, he got out when my Mum was feeding him while I was at school, and gave her a fright! But he just sat on the speaker high on the wall, and started singing, and she too was easily able to get him 'home'. The result was that we began to let him out the next day, without any of the usual nerves that some people go through. With a first pet, it can be really handy if they take the initiative!

Edited by **Liv**

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

Welcome! I'm glad that you got Goose safely back "home". I look forward to pictures of him!

• Member ID:  2,137
  • Group:  Global Moderators
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Content Count:  4,842
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Achievement Points:  31,670
  • Birthday:  06/04/1978

Goose managed to escape yesterday!! Luckily I had my door shut and my curtains closed but he went mad with his first taste of freedom!! Luckily he would sit on my finger and I managed to get him back in the cage! Think I need a bit more hand in the cage time before we try that one again!!

l'm glad to hear that it turn out alright :)

Guest ktdsmurf

Welcome! Luv the name 'goose'

Make sure you take him out often other wise he wont want to come out!!!

Anyone have a bird called 'eagle'?

kt