• Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

All of the budgies are together in the big cage now. And I've been observing them for the last few nights. Every evening they squabble (sometimes quite agressively) over perches. I've put 8 perches almost in a row at the same height at the top of the cage. But if one pics a certain perch they decide they all want it. Is this a dominance thing? I get annoyed with them as there are perches sitting empty while they all fight for the same ones. AGH! Is there anything else I can do? Perhaps I should put the divider in at night and separate 4 to each side. I don't want to interfere to much but don't want anyone to get hurt either.

Guest eterri

What size is the cage? Do you have a picture of the setup? It's normal for bickering to happen at bedtime but sometimes it can mean there's not quite enough space. How long does it usually last and does it get very violent?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Shawna, were you the one with the budgie that shakes at night? If so this could be causing her to do this too.

• Member ID:  1,917

The cage is

Exterior Dimensions: Width 64¾" Depth 21½" Height 60"

Interior Dimensions: Width 64" (32" each side) Depth 21" Height 35"

Here is a picture of them just a few minutes ago. When they squabble they make lots of noise. There seems to be a lot of pecking between the squabbling birds. Sometimes one will fall off the perch they are fighting for. I usually make noise or something to distract them. It seems to last 15 minutes to half an hour. Sometimes they get settled but then will squabble a bit more.

IMG_2009Custom.jpg

Shawna, were you the one with the budgie that shakes at night? If so this could be causing her to do this too.
Nope. That wasn't me.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

okay..:D

My goodness they have no right to squabble those stink pots with all that room. It certainly could be pecking order, I am sure Terri will have a suggestion for you :)

Guest eterri

It might be good to split them up a bit so you can determine which ones aren't really getting along. Sometimes budgies do clash and some won't like others. It's hard to keep the peace amongst that many birds sometimes. Looks like they have plenty of space though.

And I just realize how drab I sound replying to this. It's not because of anything here, I think your setup is great. I'm jealous, actually. I've drooled at that cage many times, just no space!

What's the male to female ratio of your budgies, by the way? Maybe separate the genders? That seems to have helped with mine lately. It's a different situation, but I do notice they're calmer, especially at bedtime.

Edited by eterri

• Member ID:  1,930
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,440
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  10,220

ya...good suggestions Terri!

Shawna has 6 females....4 older one, and two younger ones...then two younger males....I think its hormones..and since they are new togethera s a flock, they have not decided whos the leader, nor have they gotten 100% comfoptable with eachother yet! I might also suggest making it less crowded posiibly! So like a couple good, big perches..or a nice fanned out branch so more than 3 can sit on it alone..then take out like half the toys..so if they do fight, they dont hit as many things, and can get out of the way for the other quicker! Thats what i did for my guys!...and it solved all problems! Thats my 0.02 :fear

Kirby :hap:

Edited by Kirby

• Member ID:  2,119
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  490

My two do the same sometimes, they each have a swing they sleep on, but Lizzy always wants the one Loui is on. Poor Loui sometimes I feel sorry for him, what a crazy "wife" he has, (Laughing out loud)

I love that cage by the way, if I had more room I would get one for myself!!

They were pretty good last night I must say. I'm sure I have 3 males and 5 females. I think the females are squabbling for dominant position but the males can get their noses in it too. I have already removed some of the toys and there are 3 big branch perches at various heights. I put a dowl perch on the highest rung. But they still gravitate to the calcium and cement perches at night. I'm going to do a major cleaning this weekend and will shuffle everythign around and see how things go.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Member ID:  1,930
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,440
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Achievement Points:  10,220

ohhh yaaa!!!....

I forgot about Wylie being a male :P He was my favourite to!..(Laughing out loud)..sorry Wylie! Thats good though that things are getting better shawna!...where do you get your birds from?...what store(s)?

Kirby :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marsmk

Hi, I am having the same problem.

Every evening Pepi the eldest Budgie who is about 6-7 months old goes bananas.

As soon as he is tired he sqeakes and pecks.

He can't stand the blanket that we pull over the cage everynight.

Our newest addition junior who is smaller and no more than 3 months old gets a hard time from him at night.

I have even seen him get pecked of the top perch .

Pepi has a swing which he sleeps on every night, and he defends it as his own turf.

I feel sorry for Junior cause he just wants to cuddle up at night and Pepi wants none of it.

The funny thing is the first night we brought Junior home they both were on the perch sleeping.

I feel Pepi maybe a tad jelouse also.

Both will play on my shoulders together and hang out during the day with no problems, apart from afew odd squabbles, but at night Pepi is just a grumpy young tacka!

Guest Phoebe
:wub: Don't know if this applies to budgies but at the wildlife shelter we have what I have coined "silly time" where everybody goofs around and goes crazy for about half an hour before bedtime. :P

I agree with you phoebe, we have the same at the Arc! My small flock in my aviary do it as well and as long as you don't see any blood or plucked feathers I think it may be lots of noise and bluff to basically get the best or safest position for the night, a very nerve racking time as lots of birds have little or no vision at night...except obviously nocturnal birds like owls. I think it is quite "normal" flock behaviour. :ausb:

It is a nightly ritual but has improved quite a bit since I rearranged the cage. They have their little squabble and then settle in for the night. I have two long perches up high on either end of the cage, and that seems to have helped. 6 usually perch on one end and 2 on the other. No blood or plucking so I think I'm okay.

Guest Phoebe
:) That sounds like things are working out for everybody. :hap: Think you will always have a bit of "silly time" to some degree with all the birds in the same cage trying to settle themselves for the night. ;)
Guest Thirtyfive Black

it sounds like my 20+. they do this everynight! There is plenty of room in the aviary, but there are always a few that have to fight for the same swing! they argue for a few minutes and then settle down to a peacefull night of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's