A Different Way Of Present Vegetables And Fruits

Guest Phoebe

Guest Phoebe

:hap: I saw this suggestion on a lovebird site and thought I would give it a try as my lovebirds and a few of my budgies are not good at eating their vegetables. All I had on hand was baby spinach, brocolli, carrots, corn (which I gave up on as it fell off the skewers) apple and grapes. I can see this method would also lend itself well to peapods, pasta, the possibilities are endless. So, with assistance from my little sous chef Phoebe, I put these together, keep in mind it is quite time consuming but then I made seven.

000_0111.jpg

000_0112.jpg

My cockatiel sure gave them her approval, the rest viewed them as a new toy so I am not sure how much actually got eaten. Had to secure the skewers by passing them at 45 degree angle to the cage bars as one jump would finish them. :P:)

Edited by Phoebe

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

they look good enough to eat :)

Where are the pictures of them enjoying the 'toy'? Glad it seems to be working for you.

Guest Phoebe
:) Actually it's not the overwhelming success I thought it would be Nerwen, lovebirds are ignoring it, budgies were sort of interested at first (and they all go crazy whenever I bring a camera near) but at least my cockatiel didn't let me down. :hap:

:(Laughing out loud):

Keep trying, It might be an idea to half the amount on them (just to save a bit :)) Glad the tiel like it. What is his/her name?

Guest Phoebe

:hap: Jodie the cockatiel :P

000_0018.jpg

Actually Star didn't mind it much but as for the rest of them, I think they preferred their carrots shredded, lazy bunch and the love birds were not interested at all, maybe smaller amounts next time. :)

what a cutie :)

Just as well these birds are cute the way the run away from all the good things we try and give them.

Guest Phoebe

:hap: That's for sure, will leave the vegetable/fruit kabobs in their cages until morning, Yes, Jodie is a sweetie, she only has a couple of real toes as her mother bit them off when she was baby and killed her siblings but she has the best attitude of any bird here, in fact I took her out for "coffee" yesterday with friends and she behaved splendidly. The Lovebird site person who posted about the skewers said that hers will eat almost anything now so I guess it is just a matter of persistence. :)

Edited by Phoebe

• Member ID:  2,060
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  861
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,195
  • Birthday:  25/07/1978

What a brilliant idea!! :) Here is Bobby enjoying his carrot & snowpea skewers! Thanks for sharing!

Picture090_450x337.jpg

By The Way - How do you take a bird out for 'coffee'??? :(Laughing out loud):

*Edit* - His cage is covered to keep him as warm as possible as he is still on antibiotics...

Edited by Riebie
Guest Phoebe

:hap: So happy that Bobby enjoyed the "skewer" idea, he hooked on to it right away. :P Put the Jode in her carry cage, remember her wings are clipped and she has hardly any toes and we sat and visited for over an hour (at the wildlife shelter where I volunteer). (The Jode has exquisite manners). :) Will try the skewer idea on weekends when I have extra time. :) And it was not my idea so I can't take credit, let us thank some lovebird owner. At least this gives the birdies some other medium in which to consume their essential stuff. and it might even appeal to them as a toy rather than chopped up in a dish and they will decide to sample :D

Edited by Phoebe

I am lucky - Bobby eats everything (except his pellets!) He loves green vegies!

I heard just last week that if you hear a good hint or a tip, take it on board and use it as your own!!! You passed the info onto us so you deserve some credit! I always try to jam the vegies between the bars of the cage and seemed to be constantly picking vegies off the floor (yes its a great game to push the vegies through the bar and watch your pet human constantly pick it up :(Laughing out loud): ) I love this - the skewers have been their for half an hour and not one piece on the floor!!! :)

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Thanks Riebie, I have tried everything with my 4 species of birds, never any problems with my Rosey but most of rest (excepting my cockatiel, kisses to Jodie), have tried different presentations but the only thing that everybody can agree on is clipping romaine lettuce to their cage. :grbud:

And I am so happy that Bobby is catching on, it was kind of hard on my fingers shoving all that stuff on but I probably put too much fruit and vegetables on, will keep it simple from now on.

Edited by Phoebe
Guest Phoebe

:grbud: Already planning my next skewer - carrot (good anchor), zucchini, spinach, brocolli, apple, orange, yellow pepper (mildest of the three peppers).spinach, lettuce,grape, pea pod, celery, kale (but don't know about cauliflower) but that will fill a skewer for sure! :ausb:

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I made Blinkie a brocolli, snow pea and grape one, and......he was too busy flirting with it to eat any. :bluebudgie:

Guest Phoebe

:ausb: Well that's a start Bea, will try mine every few days (chop up the vegetables the night before) and it is a really easy cleanup, some pieces are on the floor of the cage but the others just slide off the bamboo skewer. Will wash and reuse a couple of times but they are so cheap, can be bought in a dollar or discount store. Added advantage is that you don't have to chop everything into really tiny pieces and it makes the birds forage for their food while hopefully having fun. :bluebudgie:

My avian vet told me not to feed grapes to my budgies, I am really sorry I can't remember the reason why but it made sense at the time :D

Bobby loves his skewers, I made another today and he was munching on it before I had a chance to secure it!

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I think there are types of grapes that are bad....i just gave him the fleshy bit, took out the itty bitty seeds and stuff. He didn't touch it anyway but he has tried grapes before.

Guest Phoebe

;) I am so happy that Bobby is enjoying his skewer cabobs! There was a problem with grapes earlier this year which your vet is aware of(which is good, that makes him a good vet), I really wash mine thoroughly but I should probably substitute another fruit but my Rosey loves them. So don't use them, better you use vegetables anyhow. :)

:) Somebody on this site peels grapes for their birds, pigs will fly before I will ever do that, but kudos to them! :D

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

;) love the idea. i'll try it with my crew. B)
  • 1 year later...
Guest Phoebe
:) Am posting this old one but while trying to find it, saw TONS of great food and nutrition posts, please everybody, have a read for the first time or repeat time! Wonderful Stuff! :D