Guest Lin

Sprout Your Own Seed

Guest Lin

Couldn't find the post where someone asked for how to sprout seed, so I'll put it here. You can use bird seed, alfafa, suflower, pea, the list is endless.

Pop some seeds in a jar (don't fill too full, they will swell). Cover jar with a stocking, and put an elastic band around the mouth of jar to hold the stocking on. Fill jar with water. Leave for an hour. Empty out water. Put jar in a dark spot (on an angle so any more water can drain out.) Rinse with water twice a day. Should sprout within a couple of days.

You must rinse with water at least twice a day, otherwise they will go 'sour' and smelly

Edited by Lin

Can I surgest mixing the required amoun t of Aviclean with the water. It will stop bacteria infection

Avicleans from Vetafarm.

It was me looking for the information. Thanks so much. Where can you get the seeds?

Edited by Shawna

Guest Lin

Most health food shops. Don't use seeds intended for the garden, as they are treated with insecticides. You can also use the seeds you feed your birds! They sprout lovely, and are a real favourite with the budgies. If they don't sprout readily, then you know your seed is old, and is not nutritionally the best for your birds. If this is the case, buy from somewhere else!

Most health food shops. Don't use seeds intended for the garden, as they are treated with insecticides. You can also use the seeds you feed your birds! They sprout lovely, and are a real favourite with the budgies. If they don't sprout readily, then you know your seed is old, and is not nutritionally the best for your birds. If this is the case, buy from somewhere else!

okay. Thanks. I really want to try snow pea sprouts. I recall a few people on here saying their birds love them.

My birds eat sprouts every day. They love them. For a little information, go to www.sproutpeople.com for information. I've ordered sprouts from them before, and also get sprout mix from a local bird fair. The best way to avoid them going "off" is to shake as much water out as possible once they have finished soaking. I soak mine for about 24 hours, then rinse 2 or 3 times per day for another day or so, then feed them. I use a strainer/sieve and mixing bowl, and it works great.

Guest pixie25

i tried your way rainbow but i guess my seeds were not good enough. :wub: it didnt work! :hap:

i am looking for a better seed mix now... which type of seeds sprout the best? canary seed? millet??

Edited by pixie25

Pixie I would go for mung bean, Rea and lentil. :hap:

Guest Thirtyfive Black

thanks lin!

Is there a site with pictures and junk to help someone who's completely confused?

www.sproutpeople.com

Check out the links down the left of the page to get you started. :)

Edited by Rainbow

Well my seeds are soaking! :)

Guest Amit
i tried your way rainbow but i guess my seeds were not good enough. :wub: it didnt work! :P

i am looking for a better seed mix now... which type of seeds sprout the best? canary seed? millet??

try this site ... http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/sprout.htm

I buy seeds from them for personal use ... and they are great ... i'll also start giving sprouted seeds to my quatret :)

Guest Shellball

i tried your way rainbow but i guess my seeds were not good enough. :blush: it didnt work! :rolleyes:

try this site ... http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/sprout.htm

I buy seeds from them for personal use ... and they are great ... i'll also start giving sprouted seeds to my quatret :wacko:

I planted my bird's seed in a pot and it grew very well. I am thinking of getting a small shallow pot and planting some more and putting it on the floor of the cage so they could help themselves. What do you all think of that?

Shell :feedbirds:

are all the seeds fed to birds safe for them to eat after they've sprouted?

mine are fed a pretty good variety, some lettuce seed, hemp, rape, millet(Red and white) canary seed, oat groats, sun flower, among some others that I can't remember right now, are all these safe to sprout for them?

and can you use apple cider vinegar to kill/control bacteria? bacteria is the main thing keeping me from sprouting..

I have been sprouting seeds for a couple of years for my birds, they love them. To avoid any problems with bacteria I only sprout a small amount at a time. Mostly I use the seed that I feed them plus snow peas.

Every time I try to sprout my seeds, after a time I can smell that they've fermented (ie, a sweet alcohol sort of smell). Is that supposed to happen, and if I rinse thoroughly is it safe to eat?

Edited by Chrysocome

No, they are not any good if they smell. Actually they should smell like the sprouts you would buy in the store for you to eat yourself. :D Very fresh, with hardly any odor. Usually they will go "off" if you don't get enough of the water out after you rinse. Sometimes it takes a little time, but the more water you can remove after each rinse the better.