When Should I....

Guest Fisher

Guest Fisher

okay, Like I said we decided to go with the cheaper vet since we don't grow money on tress and things aren't really working out with money this month. Once we got there I noticed a lot of diplomas which made me smile and there were about 100 post cards and pictures from people thanking them for saving their pets and helping their loved once.

On the way there I was more nervous than Sammy him self. When we got there a cat was eyeing Sammy so I didn't let him of my sight. There was a another cage with a budgie near the window, right away they started to make their little noises. When they told us to go into exam room 1 I got even more nervous and I noticed Sammy was too. Than a younger guy comes in takes all of our info down and a another guy comes in and starts telling the young guy how far and how to cut the feathers. At first they could catch Sammy because he was flying around in the cage. Once they got the grip on him he started to scream and so I looked away. In less than 3 seconds it was all done and he was back in his cage. Now he sitting in his cage eating and he seems happy. Not really sure if he even knows what happened.

Tomorrow I'm gone take him to the bathroom and try to train him just like it says on badgietalk.com.

But I forgot to ask....how long will it take for the fathers to grow back? Tomorrow is gonna be big day for both of us.

I will post pictures tomorrow.

Sounds like you found yourself a good vet. Glad to hear someone was being trained, like to hear that kind of thing!

The feathers will start to grow back in with the next moult. Hard to say when that will be, but if your house isn't kept too warm, then could be up to 6 months.

Guest Fisher

Currently its not all that warm here since the heater broke down and my land lord isn't feeling like fixing it till the summer. But in about a month there is going to be about 90F in my room and no A/C since it always gets me sick when its on. I might need a little pool for Sammy huh to cool him down a little. By the way my friends decided to call me a Pirate since I bought Sammy and they are planning on buying me that eye patch those pirates had :)

I was very happy with the vet and they seemed to be very nice and caring.

I might soon work at the vets office helping out with the animals and all that other stuff they do. I decided to volunteer to work with animals I was really searching for a place where I could help homeless people and people with out homes but didn't find anything like that near me so I might work for a vets office might even learn something.

Edited by Fisher

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

great job, you know they forget pretty quick, so let us know how everything goes. Pretty's grew back in a matter of 6 months but know that they can start to get lift within 3-4 months because just a couple flight feather coming in will give him the lift. By then he should be tamed down for you. I am leaving Pretty flighted now :).

Guest Fisher

okay, Just took sammy out of the cage to take him to the bathroom like budgietalk.com says and he flys even with his wings trimed...... :) how does he do that? Going back to the vet again in about an hours but first I got to catch the guy again.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

they are so light, so he may be trimmed a bit more (not TOO close) plus you don't want him to land thump on his chest because he break his bones. You want him to still land nicely.

Guest Fisher

Thats true I want him to land nicely when he gets up in the air but I don't want him to fly like he does. I want him to hop around that fly for 2-3 feet and hop again but ever with his wings being trimmed now he has no problem with flying. He flys like he did before no change.

• Member ID:  1,917
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,431
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Achievement Points:  10,905
  • Birthday:  11/12/1968

I have four clipped birds and four full-feathered birds. There is a definate difference in how they can fly. My clipped birds (of which two fly extremely well) could never fly to the top of a window. My unclipped birds - wow - it is like bats swooping around. Scares the **** out of me as they bash into walls, etc. (Two have escaped the cage). I am going to have them clipped once so I can tame them up a bit. They are my newest birds and I'm having no luck taming them. I think the wing clipping makes a big difference. Three of the four that I purchased clipped have tamed really really well! The other one is so-so. But is much easier to get with the clipped wings if she flys away.

Guest Fisher

Poor Sammy. I took him back to the vet and told him about it and he couldn't belief it. After trimming so many birds he has never seen a bird fly like Sammy did after trimming. Sammy had no problems flying at all he could get on top of the window just like he did before there was no difference in his flying. But he seems really scared right now so I'm going to give him a break today because he bit the guy who was taking him out of the cage. You can tell hes really scared right now.