Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bhups

Budgie sleep

Guest Bhups

hey all..

i have read that if a budgie is sleeping with both feet on the perch it is a sign of it being unwell..

mine has been doing that since i bought it.. (5 days ago)

is it normal for it to do that if its scared or has come to a new house?

hope it aint sick :wub:

its been scraching itself on and off alot lately and Shaking its feathers... tried to put mite powder on it and boy it was a hard job!

it doesnt even wanna come to my hand !!!! (never did want to but i think its p****d off now :D )

help please :D

Edited by Rainbow

Guest budgieteen

well all of mine have always done that and they are fine

Guest Bhups

phew!

i really hope mine is too :wub:

if this one gets sick or dies, i dont think i will be getting another pet again :D

too difficult coping with a loss of life knowing its ur fault :D

B

Guest Bhups

also, what would/do you do if the bird is scracthing alot?

is there another easyer way to apply medison on it if it has mites?

B

Guest budgieteen

well there are sprays and i think powders but what do you mean by alot?

Guest Bhups

not sure how to discribe it :S

wen its not doing n e thing it scratchs itself in the neck and bites under the feathers and on its back... :S

is this normal?

like killing time?

B

If you really think your bird has mites, take him to the vet and let them treat him. I wouldn't just put medicine on him without knowing if he needs it or not. Birds don't always stand on one foot when they rest, and I think if you have only had yours for five days he is not comfortable enough around you yet to relax. It can be a sign of illness, but is usually considered in addition to other symptoms. As far as the scratching, it may be a normal part of preening. Does he seem agitated when he does it, or is he preening other feathers as well? Birds sometimes engage in displacement behavior if they are nervous or don't know what to do, and a quick preening definitely falls into this category. :wub:

Guest Bhups

excellent!

thanks for the advice!

i think it sounds like the nervous bordam preening :S

By The Way, at day 6 in the big brother house, do they like taking a bath? either by shower or different means?

thanks

B

Edited by Bhups

Mine don't like to be spritzed or sit under the faucet as it drips, but some budgies like it. Some of them use their water dishes as a bathtub, and there are also budgie baths you can buy and put in your cage. Mine only like to take baths in food. :wub: I put some good lettuce (like red leaf or red romaine - something with some color to it) on a plate or in a bowl with a little water and they take a bath in the leaves (and eat it as well). Sometimes I hang some big lettuce leaves near a perch inside the cage and they hang from them and take a bath that way. They also like to roll around in the tops of carrots. You will have to experiment to see which way yours likes best. But since he is so new, he may not like any way yet. :D

Guest Bhups

(Laughing out loud)...

dont seem like it...

tried using a water spray and he/she was running all over the place at the bottom of cage and climbing on the cage with claws and beak :S

feel sorry for the chap but the bath is needed.

need to mke sure it dont escape and turn all :vampire on me over nite

B