A New Budgie

Guest !?edith?!budgie_lover

HI every 1 everyone, sorry 2 to botha bother u you but im getting my first ever budgie well 2 of them can any 1 anyone tell me what i need it would really help!!

thanku thank you :P :ausb: :blush::P :dbb1: :P

Moderator’s Message to user
Please note that we ask members to refrain from using text shortcuts on the boards. see here for more info: http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....ardrules#textsh

Thankyou :)

Edited by daz
Guest Sparky

well heres the basics

a decent size cage for two budgies

seed (trill is good)

sandpaper

budgie book

some toys

disenfectant

a budgie bath

some millet

a cuttlefish

(it's sometimes best to put two seed pots in the cage just incase one gets posessive over it causing the other to starve)

p.s try to use words instead of numbers, it confuses some people. ie every1 :P

Edited by Sparky
Guest pixie25

What a sensible thing to do, before actually getting your first budgie :blush:

on your shopping list should be:

* the largest rectangular budgie cage you can afford (budgies like to fly or flutter across the cage, not up and down)

* a variety of perches ( rope, manzanita or java wood, dowel or cholla are just some of the choices you can find in pet shops)

* a water holder

* a few seed pots that hook or screw onto the bars (its good to have a few spares for treats and feeding fresh food)

* good quality budgie seed (i use trill)

* a few budgie toys (ladders, swings, olympic rings and lattice balls with bells inside seem quite popular with most budgies)

* cuttlebone and cuttlebone holder (small size)

* mineral/ iodine block (optional)

* shower spray bottle or bird bath

* sandpaper or newspaper for cage lining

* metal or plastic clips for pegging fresh veggies to the cage

* avian disinfectant

hope that helps you. :D

Edited by pixie25
Guest smilyl
  1. good budgie seed
  2. toys
  3. water
  4. veg
  5. sand sheets(news paper)
  6. disinfectent
  7. iodine block
  8. cuttle fish bone
  9. duster
  10. 2/3 good budgie books
  11. i room that they can fly in(not really on a shopping list
  12. millet(for training)

and of course a cage!

1. extra seed pots (for veggies)
  2. pegs for millet sprays and salad
  3. bird bath
  4. bird spray bottle

and dont forget to sign in at your local vets :blush:

Guest eterri

Not that if your cage doesn't have a grate/grill at the bottom (to separate the birds from the cage lining) don't use sandpaper. It's rough on their little feet and some budgies (especially babies) like to spend a lot of time on the bottom of the cage. It's also not good for them to ingest bits of sand.

Do take smilyl's advice and find an AVIAN vet before you even bring your budgies home. This way, if they need to see a vet you won't have to waste time finding one. If you can, it would be a good idea to get them checked out shortly after bringing them home but at any rate, it's good to just know exactly who and where your closest avian vet is. :blush: Keep the number handy!

You've gotten lots of great tips so I really can't think of anything else to add. :D Congratulations on the new additions!

Guest pixie25

the cage i have doesnt have a grate and i have used both sandpaper and newspaper in the bottom of mine. personally i have found that budgies will only go down to the bottom of the cage if they are in a cage that is too small. ive never had any problems with sandpaper and i find it more hygeinic and convenient to use than newspaper, as spilled water and food doesnt make it go all soggy and horrible and difficult to clean. also poops are clear on sandpaper than they are on newspaper, so you can do quick obs every morning to make sure everything is as it should be.

ive never even seen my budgies attempt to shred or ingest sandpaper, but its a personal preference i guess. :blush:

Guest eterri

Just pointing out that some do, just in case that becomes a problem. Babies love the bottom of the cage for some reason. Piper still takes her naps in a corner and when I put them in cages without a grate they all love to chew up the lining. (Very annoying! :blush:)

It really depends on the cage and the budgies, but it's good to know pros and cons of each. Newspaper is definitely cheaper and I haven't had any problems with it getting wet or soggy unless I spill something myself. Of course, I've got 8 birds and four different cages to deal with now so that makes a difference. (Hopefully I'm down to three now that Pixel is better though.)

Edited by eterri
Guest pixie25

yeah i totally agree it is different with every bird i guess.

and sometimes the water spills when i move the cage to their 'sleeping' room :) i sometimes give them a shower while they are in their cage too. its the only place i can get them without them being bothered by it. typical boys they are. :hap: (Laughing out loud)!

we get free newspapers where i am so newspaper is definitely cheaper!

glad to hear that little duckling pixel is getting better :) she's so cute.

Edited by pixie25

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

welcome to the forum

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe, if you can afford it; a small play gym for your budgies to play on.

And some nail clippers. Take care though, it is best to learn how to clip nails by having an avian vet show you and if you do not feel confident about it, just get the vet to do it for you everytime. A nail clipping consultation at a vet is quite cheap. The reason you should get a vet to show you how is because budgies have what is called a quick in their nail and if you cut it they will bleed and could bleed to death.

HI every 1 everyone, sorry 2 to botha bother u you but im getting my first ever budgie well 2 of them can any 1 anyone tell me what i need it would really help!!

thanku thank you :P :ausb: :P:P :dbb1: :P

Moderator’s Message to user
Please note that we ask members to refrain from using text shortcuts on the boards. see here for more info: http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....ardrules#textsh

Thankyou :)

thank u you guys and if it isnt a hassel do u you no know a rough price of every thing

Edited by daz
Guest pixie25

Edith Please read the rules in the moderator message box. Text shortcuts are not allowed on the boards as it makes it hard for some of our members to read.