Sacley Face?

Guest Thirtyfive Black

Guest Thirtyfive Black

Howdie

I have a question for all of you that have a lot of budgies. I have noticed over the last few months that Tweety and her daughter Duey, both have bulgy ceres. They are not "scaley" or "flakey", just protruding. Every picture I have found online of scaley face are extreme cases. I cant find any pics of it in the begining.

I have an apointment with their vet monday (nothing today :) ) but i'm wondering if anyone who has a lot of budgies, sees a variety of ceres in their birds???!!!

Thanks,

Anna

(i will TRY to snap some pics of them when i get home, they are pretty hard to photo though!)

Edited by Thirtyfive Black

• Member ID:  2,097
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  1,315
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

There are a few pictures in this section of early scaley face. There's my post with pics showing Custard whose been developing her scaliness for only a few weeks(that I've noticed), and there's Cheeta's post, which has pictures of a bird that appears to show very early signs of it. Do a bit of compare and contrast. I know what you mean, though. It's hard to find a picture of a bird that isn't really badly affected to compare to.

Edited by Janette
Guest Thirtyfive Black
There are a few pictures in this section of early scaley face. There's my post with pics showing Custard whose been developing her scaliness for only a few weeks(that I've noticed), and there's Cheeta's post, which has pictures of a bird that appears to show very early signs of it. Do a bit of compare and contrast. I know what you mean, though. It's hard to find a picture of a bird that isn't really badly affected to compare to.

They both dont look like your birdies pics. My 2 look almost overgrown. I've never seen this with any bird I've had over the years. And its weird that mum & daughter look the same!

• Member ID:  2,097
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  191
  • Achievement Points:  1,315

I had a bit of a look round the net and I found this site, with a picture of a bird with hypertrophy of the cere. I'm not a vet, so I don't know anything about it, but the picture sounds like the type of cere growth you're referring to. If it does look similar to your birds, there's some info on there too about possible causes etc.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/davehansen/obstruct.html

Guest Thirtyfive Black

Thanks! They dont look like that either though. I am going home in about an hour or so, i will try to take some pics of them both.

• Member ID:  1,536
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,753
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Achievement Points:  16,870

Sometimes budgies can be what is called oversexed, which is where they have too many hormones floating around. It causes the cere to protude, but not be infected with scaley face or anything like that. It often happens in females. Vets I think can prescribe hormone shots for it. You should look it up on the internet.

I have a budgie whose cere protrudes slightly, she is female, but does not have scaley face, she is healthy and it is most likely due to hormones. My other female, on the other hand, she has a very flat cere, but she has the start of scaley face and I am currently treating her for it. Her cere looks normal apart from being slightly crusty.

So yeah, find an avian vet and have a look on the internet. :D

Also with scaley face it can occur on the feet as well, whihc is what my poor Isis has.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

OMG Terri that is a scary looking picture.

My budgie's cere is like the one on the right. Except that the rest of her looks much better than those two budgies.

I just realised that they were having a shower. oops sorry to the owner.

Guest eterri

(Laughing out loud). Yes, I really should've mentioned that they're both in the shower in that shot. I'm sure the owner would understand. :(Laughing out loud):

Guest Thirtyfive Black

i went in the aviary last night & couldnt get any good close uppics of them. i examined all the older girls and they all seem to bet getting bigger ceres. all the boys look normal. maybe it is a hormonal thing?

well tweety and her daughter are going to the vet moday at 430, ill update then

thanks

Yes girls tend to get it more than boys

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

Yeah be careful, over grown cere can been as sign of cysts. This is what Tootie has.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  599
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

hope they are okay

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

*fingers crossed*

I'll be waiting to hear the report.

Guest Thirtyfive Black

okay, im back and the news is great!

no mites! she wants me to get them off seed, so the converting begins! As for the hormonal levels, she wants them back after 2 weeks of being (fingers crossed) on the pellets. Her parnter will be back from vacation then, and she will have a look too. She said the were all in great health, and was amaized with their colors. Sylvester was fantastic,his leg color perfect! They tried to scrap the cere and nothing came off, being good. We will play the wait and see game for now, and will do blood work in 2 weeks if need be.

So I feel good for now. all 3 were very happy to be back in the aviary!

I'll keep you posted in 2 weeks :bluebudgie:

ps. look for my other post :ausb:

awesome news keep us updated

What did she say the diagnosis was?

Guest Thirtyfive Black

more than likely hormones... they will decide if we need to do bloodwork in 2 weeks. for now we just wait. but we know for sure its not scaley face

okay cool

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I had a bit of a look round the net and I found this site, with a picture of a bird with hypertrophy of the cere. I'm not a vet, so I don't know anything about it, but the picture sounds like the type of cere growth you're referring to. If it does look similar to your birds, there's some info on there too about possible causes etc.

Thanks! it looks like thats caused by a mite too!!! They dont look like that either though. I am going home in about an hour or so, i will try to take some pics of them both.

Hypertrophy of the cere is not caused by mites. It is due to hormones. I have a hen that sometimes gets it. The first time I took her to the vets, the vet just scraped off a few layers and said she was fine, it was due to hormones. Glad your birds are in good health, Buuzbee.

Guest Thirtyfive Black

Thanks! it looks like thats caused by a mite too!!! They dont look like that either though. I am going home in about an hour or so, i will try to take some pics of them both.

Hypertrophy of the cere is not caused by mites. It is due to hormones. I have a hen that sometimes gets it. The first time I took her to the vets, the vet just scraped off a few layers and said she was fine, it was due to hormones. Glad your birds are in good health, Buuzbee.

this is what the link states....

Hypertrophy of the Cere

This so-called "brown hypertrophy" may be likened to catarrh of a mucous surface and occurs in many types of chronic ill health. Apparently it is not caused by local infection, and ideally treatment consists of finding and treating the underlying cause. The cere should be treated also by picking away the heaped-up material and applying a little oily lotion, cod liver oil, Dettol or bland ointment. Below is a picture of a Budgie with hypertrophy of the cere. The growth can sometimes be caused by mites or tumours.

I was refering to the article in the link. I didnt say what i wanted to earlier

Rainbow, do your birds get any other hormonal type treatment or just the scrape?

Yeah, I read the article. I just didn't agree with it. :P I think that budgie they used in the picture had other issues - did you notice how misshapen her beak was? Hormones won't cause that.

My hen has only had her cere scraped once. When it overgrows it tends to grow out from the bottom and she seems to be able to wear it off herself. On occasion I will begin to notice it and then one day it looks normal. I think she must be naturally scraping off a little bit at a time when she wipes her beak after eating. It is not chronic - I've really only noticed it maybe two or three times and it is not a huge overgrowth. She had a completely brown wrinkled cere at 5 months too, none of the other baby girls did that early so I think she has always produced a bit more estrogen anyway. Her cere has never lightened up or been smooth since and she is two now. I know my birds are healthy as I have had confirmation from the vets they are in outstanding condition, even with being a little pudgy. They don't get any hormonal treatments at all.

Edited by Rainbow
Guest Thirtyfive Black

Rainbow, that sounds exaclty like my girls. I go back to get a 2nd opinion from my vet (shes on vacations in ausie land!) in 2 weeks. Now the fun begins changing them over to pellets! I mixed about 60/40 pellets to seeds this am. I hope I did it right.

Good luck with the pellet conversion. It might take longer than two weeks to get them to eat them. :P Which brand are you using?