• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

Hi!

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my budgie does this weird little shuffle thing on his perch. He sits there, and every now and then, just sort of runs on the spot for a few seconds. Sort of very quickly picks up one foot, puts it down, then the other and so on. i see him stretching his legs fairly oftn and occasionally nibbling at the back of his leg, as though he has an itch, but i don't really think its often enough for it to be something nasty worng with him. I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what makes him do it? I have been gradually trying to tame him (he's a shy little bugger), just by holding a millet spray in my aind in his cage and letting him nbble on it at htis stage, so we haven't really advanced to anything too scary. generally he's happy to come to the edge of his cage and give me a kiss on the nose, we just need to work on finger-taming. I'm worried that maybe he's developed a strange nervous habit, or that he's feeling stressed out or something... i don't want to create a neurotic budgie!

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Hi!

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my budgie does this weird little shuffle thing on his perch. He sits there, and every now and then, just sort of runs on the spot for a few seconds. Sort of very quickly picks up one foot, puts it down, then the other and so on. i see him stretching his legs fairly oftn and occasionally nibbling at the back of his leg, as though he has an itch, but i don't really think its often enough for it to be something nasty worng with him. I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas as to what makes him do it? I have been gradually trying to tame him (he's a shy little bugger), just by holding a millet spray in my aind in his cage and letting him nbble on it at htis stage, so we haven't really advanced to anything too scary. generally he's happy to come to the edge of his cage and give me a kiss on the nose, we just need to work on finger-taming. I'm worried that maybe he's developed a strange nervous habit, or that he's feeling stressed out or something... i don't want to create a neurotic budgie!

Do you give him his flight time each day a round the house.

My indoor Budgies, George, Angel and Chirpy are never locked in their cage. They are free to roam the house.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a26/darrylw/budgies003.jpg

Here is their Cages ... always open on the top.

You guy may need more excersise

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

also have you checked the bottom of his feet to make sure there are no sores, or anything that could be bothering him? Also when he does this with his feet does he do anything else? Like head bobbing, more singing?

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

It might be an idea to have him checked for scaly mite

It might be an idea to have him checked for scaly mite

Exactly what I was thinking chirpy........I had a bird who did this only he used to sort of nibble at his feet a bit more than the average bird, they didn't look obviously infected with scaly mite but were a little red but mainly just looked very dry........after a treatment they are fine and he doesn't do it anymore:)

• Member ID:  2,008
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  560
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Achievement Points:  3,390
  • Birthday:  01/05/1981

Thanks guys.

I do mak sure he gets his exercise, though he's not particularly tame yet,so i am a bit wary of letting him out around the house. I usually just shut the door to the study and let him fly around in there for a while. His cage is pretty big too, and i make sure the branches are far enough apart that he has to flap a bit to get from one to the next rather than just hopping. So hopefully, he's getting enough exercise. I will get him checked out at the vet to make sure his feet are okay.

also have you checked the bottom of his feet to make sure there are no sores, or anything that could be bothering him? Also when he does this with his feet does he do anything else? Like head bobbing, more singing?

will check his feet. He doesn't seem to do anything else at the same time. He has a mirror in his cage, but doesn't spend huge amounts of time with it and never while he's doing his foot thing, and he's not much of a singer at teh best of times! The only other thing i've noticed him do while he's hopping is the occasional stretch of his legs... he will often go for a few hours without doing it, but then wil do it on and off for an hour or so, then stop for a few more hours...

• 12 years later...

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  357

<b>Lack of flight can be a problem.</b>

• Member ID:  8,745
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  61
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Achievement Points:  357

Lol sorry bad text, i mean Flight can be one of the main problems for boredom habits, including disease,

Edited by Skye Lily
typo