Charcoal

Guest eterri

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now and am far too lazy to look it up myself: What is the purpose of charcoal for budgies? Is this a budgie thing or something some people give to parrots in general? I'd never heard it mentioned until recently so I'm very curious. Is it similar to grit or...? I've never even seen it in pet stores here. Or online. Or...anywhere. (Laughing out loud).

Clue a clueless person up please? :ausb:

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now and am far too lazy to look it up myself: What is the purpose of charcoal for budgies? Is this a budgie thing or something some people give to parrots in general? I'd never heard it mentioned until recently so I'm very curious. Is it similar to grit or...? I've never even seen it in pet stores here. Or online. Or...anywhere. Lol.

Clue a clueless person up please? :ausb:

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/index....indpost&p=62124

I don't know Eterri I heard that it causes some problems. You can get iodine bells with charcoal here. I'll try to find out where I heard there was problms.

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

Ah, so it is to aid digestion. Seems unnecessary doesn't it? If you find more info please let me know! (And thanks!) :ausb:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...pdi/202120.html

Here is a different use....this is for us but it wouldn't make sence to use it if it stops things going into the animal.

I do know you can feed it to dogs that have trouble with wind.. :ausb:

Thanks for the link, I just skimmed it. Sounds like (from that link and a couple others I read) that it's basically used to neutralize stomach acid in birds. Wouldn't this hinder digestion rather than help? Since acid is used to break down the food...

Hm.

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.23
  • Achievement Points:  99,335

Hey Daz, it works well with dogs that have trouble with the wind, I used to give him charcoal treats all the time :ausb:

Also, if it absorbs toxins, wouldn't it absorb vital nutrients as well? :ausb:

I'll have to find more articles tomorrow. Not that I plan on feeding it to my birds, but it would be nice to know the answers in case people have similar questions in the future.

Guest pixie25

well considering if you go to the hospital and have been poisoned they feed you charcoal to absorb the toxin and make you sick, it isn't something that i would be eager to give to my budgies! :)

Good point.

Besides, you shouldn't be feeding your birds something that has toxins in it anyway. :) Sounds like this is one of those things where people see it being sold, hear it's good for budgies and then just offer it blindly. I could be wrong, I'll keep an eye out for any other information but my budgies won't be charcoal eaters either way. :P

Guest pixie25

the charcoal itself does not contain toxins, but its purpose in medicine is to remove toxins by absorbing them from the body. the charcoal will absorb EVERYTHING, including food nutrients and can particularly affect the absorbtion of vitmain A B2 and K.

it is sold to be mixed with grit (which we know is not scientifically neccessary anyway) as a digestive aid - when in actual fact the charcoal will most likely be hindering digestion of vital nutrients if the bird does consume it.

i would advise anyone not to offer it to their birds, based on the things i have read about it. there are far less risky digestive aids out there.

Edited by pixie25

Hi guys don't panic in the wild stressed birds have been observed eating charcoal in acts as you have said as a digestive aid and does pass thru the birds ( how many sick birds have died how many recover after using cleasing aides ? )

I read a book many years ago very interesting ( many practises come from backyard remedies the Book...

Strouds book of birds Diseases The bird man of Alcatraz ...)

Activated charcoal is a fine, black, odorless, and tasteless powder. It is made from wood or other materials that have been exposed to very high temperatures in an airless environment. It is then treated, or activated, to increase its ability to adsorb by reheating with oxidizing gas or other chemicals to break into a very fine powder. Activated charcoal is pure carbon specially processed to make it highly adsorbent of particles and gases in the body's digestive system.

Activated charcoal has often been used since ancient times to cure a variety of ailments including poisoning. Its healing effects have been well documented since as early as 1550 B.C. by the Egyptians. However, charcoal was almost forgotten until 15 years ago when it was rediscovered as a wonderful oral agent to treat most overdoses and toxins.

The Bottom line is when a bird or more are sick you give them the best treatment ( Vets or improve your own Hospital or Medical care .....

:) Regards Docca

the charcoal itself does not contain toxins, but its purpose in medicine is to remove toxins by absorbing them from the body. the charcoal will absorb EVERYTHING, including food nutrients and can particularly affect the absorbtion of vitmain A B2 and K.

That's what I meant, if it absorbs toxins, surely it would absorb a lot of other things as well. :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's what I meant, if it absorbs toxins, surely it would absorb a lot of other things as well. :)

What I like is it is a very simple method of treating birds with gastric problems ....I would like to say that many breeders with larger avairies can quickly treat a large number of birds that could be lost...and as said before the vet is always the best option...

Some birds have still been lost with gastric.....

I have found that fine medicated charcoal

(Activated charcoal is a fine, black, odorless, and tasteless powder. It is made from wood or other materials that have been exposed to very high temperatures in an airless environment. It is then treated, or activated, to increase its ability to adsorb by reheating with oxidizing gas or other chemicals to break into a very fine powder. Activated charcoal is pure carbon specially processed to make it highly adsorbent of particles and gases in the body's digestive system.)

When given at that time....with rest and quiet with warmth will help in allowing the sick bird recovery....

Time is the best healer...any tender care with pets is repaid in recovery

Regards Doc :o:o