Adding 2 New Female Budgies

Guest jay

i have 2 male budgies at home and i have bought 2 females and they are in quarantine at the moment when i add them in will my male accept them? how will they act towards the females? i have had the males for 5months now and they kiss each other and everything will they still do that once i add the females. how long will it take for the males to get use to having the females in there cage? how long till they will notice the females and pair up???

Edit. Fixed short cut. Daz

Edited by daz

• Member ID:  4,838
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,882
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Achievement Points:  36,650
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1964

i have 2 male budgies at home and i have bought 2 females and they are in quarantine at the moment when i add them in will my male accept them? how will they act towards the females? i have had the males for 5months now and they kiss each other and everything will they still do that once i add the females. how long will it take for the males to get use to having the females in there cage? how long till they will notice the females and pair up???

thanks -_-

Edit. Fixed short cut. Daz

How they will act is anyones guess. The dominent male my try to attack the females or he may be scared of them.

They may all get along great or they may all fight. Who knows?

Just keep an eye on them for a while and see what happens. But don't get too stressed. If they fight just separate them and keep an eye on them.

• Member ID:  860
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

There will probably be a bit of squabbling at first as they establish dominance in the new flock but as long as it doesn't get too nasty that's normal. The males sound really bonded so they could suprise you and just ignore the females prefering their male buddy. :bluebudgie:

:D well the males seem to be scared of the females at the moment but i will keep an eye on them. what do u think i should do if the males dont concentrait on the females? :P

Well, as long as they all live happily together, that's the main thing. What do you mean by concentrate on them? Are you thinking of breeding? If you are, please do lots of research before you do, and don't breed them with other budgies in the same cage, do have the pairs in seperate cages. I have just had a hen killed, and am having to handraise babies because I failed to listen to this basic advice

• 1 month later...

Well, as long as they all live happily together, that's the main thing. What do you mean by concentrate on them? Are you thinking of breeding? If you are, please do lots of research before you do, and don't breed them with other budgies in the same cage, do have the pairs in seperate cages. I have just had a hen killed, and am having to handraise babies because I failed to listen to this basic advice

Hi I agree with Daz and Lin take care particularly with nesting.

1. The avairy is fine for males and females they will sort out with out fuss

2. But should you introduce a nest box the hens will fight to the death over it. or even severe injury.

3. One the first breeders I visited many years ago had the best set up for avairy breeding ( Big long flights -

only two breeding pair in each avairy - a least a choice of four nests - made from the cardboard rolls out of the carpet looms with a normal front entrance and perch attached at one end --and a Milo or Tin can at the other end so He could access the babies for banding or asssistance. )

4. Many breeders also Forster the babies Particularly the Super Expensive birds )

:blink: Regards Docca down under