• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

i read this little hint on another site i visited. a cheaper way to provide your budgie with fun, colourful, and SAFE toys is to look in the babycare shops! they love rattles, teething rings etc, and they are all of a very high safety standard. Teapot has a rattle and a teething ring now, and he loves them so much! :lol:

Edited by chirpy
Guest budgieteen

good idea!

but you need to be careful with some teething rings as they have a particular liquid in them that may be harmful to birds if they burst the ring.

• Member ID:  117
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0

good point budgieteen! i was thinking along the lines of solid rings, but yeah, the liquid filled freezable ones could be dangerous! :lol: thankyou!

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

For safety of your bird, I would really stick to made-for-bird toys, as they have been designed with in mind that it has no toxic chemicals, sharp edges, dangerous parts and so on.

Its your choice, but thats what I would do.

Im just reading how you said SAFE, chirpy but how would you know its not dangerous? (like inside)

well over here the standard of safety (re toxins, sharp edges etc) where baby toys are concerned is extremely high adam, though im sure that must be a worldwide thing. I found the tip on another avian site, tho i look at so many i cant remember which one it was now, or id give you the link so you could have a look and see what you think.

Guest budgieteen

i should think that it would b safe for birds however if a bird was to eat some plastic or something from a toy it may be poisonous to them as a birds beak is usually sharper then a teething baby

• Member ID:  1
  • Group:  Root Administrators
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  162
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,352
  • Birthday:  28/01/1990

well, it would have to be safe for a baby, as you said, as it wouldnt be sold if it wasnt safe.

It might be safe for a baby, but as budgieteen said, if a budgie was to eat something plastic and so on it may be a problem.

If you can find something like really safe for your bird, no probs!

:bluebudgie:

i like these good debates! this one has certainly made me think twice. Teapots rattle is the 'seemles' kind with no sharp edges, or parts that his beak could penetrate, same with his teething ring. but, having said that, there ARE baby toys in softer plastic where he could penetrate with his beak. Perhaps it could be a push in the right direction for many of us to check, check, and check again our beloved pets playthings.

Guest angel121

:parrot: :angry: Thanks for the tips chirpy. Just to say hello to you. you seem to know a lot about budgies and i wonder if you have an idea on how i can train my bird to allow me to stroke him. He used to let me when he was new but now if we get near him to try he yells at us and flys away. He lets us kiss him on the back though and is well trainned in sitting on our hands and shoulders. He trusts me because he hops onto my finger all the time but just doesn't like to be stroked

Can you help? you can send a reply to me under My Budgie Meows if you want.

Thanks

Angela :bluebudgie: :(Laughing out loud):

hi angel :bluebudgie: im not sure of the link you suggested for reply, so forgive me for doing it here. im a novice budgie owner, i just read, and listen, and study a lot, but have little experience. I have read, and found through experience though, that budgies arn't, in the main, keen on being petted. I dont know why this is, but they do often seem to shy away fron stroking etc. They seem to like to show their affection and trust simply by flying to you, sitting on you, and sometimes preening you. dont worry, dont push your little bird to be 'petted', just enjoy the lovely warmth, and feathery smells when your trusting little pal chooses YOU to rest and relax on :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

often,(i believe) when a bird chirps, it is calling to you, seeking attention. so if he is quiet when you are with him, it could well just mean that he is content and satisfied :)

Guest kathy5

look what I found my kids had a set of these keys when they were little looks the same to me what do you think???

bird toy

4258380078C.jpg

baby toy

2049.jpg

Guest Eukanuba

Thats a really good idea, ive always been hesitant to spend $10 or more on a tiny bird toy that they might not even use, (Laughing out loud).

Guest xxBudgieLoverxx

:(Laughing out loud): Hey Chirpy!

Just thought id pop in a little message regarding the 'feathery smells' budgies give off - isn't it the best smell ever? I absoloutly love Billy's smell - so fluffy and sweet :):):):wub: when he see's me he'll climb up on to the bars and call for me - with his belly touching the bars and I can't help but sniff the feathers!! (Laughing out loud) :wub:

Emma and Billy

xxxx xxxx

Guest Bhups

My budgie has only 1 toy and it never plays with it :wub:

its a cube mirror and has a bell at the bottom of it...

what is the best reccommended toy for it?

it seems board to death sitting there and now and then picking and scrathing atself (By The Way is this normal?)

thanks in advance

Bhups

Edited by Bhups

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I got a "birdie pinata" awhile back, but Rainbow and Skittles were afraid of it :D so I put it up. I decided to put it back in one of the cages to see if the younger birds would play with it, and they love it! Especially the hens, but the **** babies play with it some too. It is quickly becoming very shredded.

Bhups, sometimes single birds don't play with toys too much. They seem to need to see another bird having fun with it before they decide they want it too. Just like little kids. :D But you could try olympic rings, lattice balls with bells in them, or something like that. Maybe your bird just doesn't know what to do with the toy. Sometimes you have to play with it and act like you are having the time of your life before your bird will play with it too. :wub:

hi bhups, id get yur bird a few different toys to play with, let him have a choice. They get bored quite easily, but a variety of toys should awaken his interest :wub:

budgielover, its just the lovliest smell isnt it x

Guest Julie

Hi Bhups, you could try an empty cotton reel( hang it up in the cage), ping pong ball, the ends of millet sprays tied in a bundle, mine even play with a blade of grass!(washed).one of their very favourites was a small apple tree twig which I hung up and they loved it. I rinsed the twig in boiling water to kill any germs. They like to eat washed dandelion leaves too as long as it hasn't got any pesticides or anything sprayed on it. :wub:

Guest Bhups

hey julie, thanks for the tip on the cotton reel!

gave me an idea on making a toy with plastic cover if a Kinder Suprise toy and putting seeds inside it to make it a rattle...

will give it a go and will post the responce.

Bhups

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

If you want cheap toys I read in a budgie book that a string of raw pasta is good for them the chew to bits.

Guest Julie

:) Nerwen I'm going to give the pasta a try too,never heard that one.

Bhups just be careful he can't chew off little bits of plastic from the kinder surprise cover :lol: