• Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  69
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Achievement Points:  595
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/09/1992

On the weekend i bought a new bird Aviary, it is fairly big and i was wondering if i could put Budgies, Cockatiels and Rosa Bourkes together in the same aviary?

Also does anyone know a price i would expect to pay for a pair of Rosa Bourkes and is $66 dollars a good price for a pair in a pet shop? :P

Hi and welcome! We love pictures, so please post some. I don't know a lot about Bourkes. I think they are quite placid? If they are then they are probably going to be okay being housed with tiels. But budgies will be nasty to tiels, and probably the Bourkes too. It can work, but it is a rarity rather than normal. I would not suggest housing budgies and tiels together.

• Member ID:  1,812
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0

Thanks for the welcome Lin, :P

Do you think it would work if i kept an eye on the budgies so i can move them into my other avairy if they are too mean to the cockatiels or rosa bourkes? :P

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

It really depends on the size of the aviary. The larger it is the more likely that combination will work.

• Member ID:  875
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  826
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Achievement Points:  7,200
  • Birthday:  15/01/1976

From experience with my budgies and tiels I would definitely not house them together. I can't let mine all out together with no supervision because the budgies terrorise the tiels. I do still however find it strange a big bird like a tiel could be scared of a tidgy budgie!

I just put my teeny tiny quails in the aviary and my tiels were terrified Booms! Finally one of them ventured onto the floor, a quail moved, and the tiel flew straight into a perch in fright. Big wooses they are :D

• Member ID:  2,138
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,481
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Achievement Points:  13,140
  • Birthday:  10/02/1973

Bourkes & Cockatiels are good together. Budgies & Bourkes are okay but the female budgies like to pull out the Bourkes' feathers & the Bourkes won't breed in the same cage as budgies.

In short, leave out the budgies.

$66 for a pair of Rosa Bourkes is a good price.

• Member ID:  1,812

So, will rosa bourkes breed in the same aviary as cockatiels then :D

Also does anyone know the breeding seasons for cockatiels and rosa bourkes and any special requirements they may need to breed

I think it is the individual bird because I have seen lots of these birds kept together...my sister inlaw has 4 Wieros, 8 Budgies and 2 Pink and Grey Galahs altogether and they haved lived happily like that for about 5 or 6 years and my best friend has 2 Bourkes and 4 Budgies in an avery and they also seem fine together :D

Guest MegTheBudgie

I have a cockatiel and budgies housed together in a large cage, Jake (the cockatiel) lived with budgies while at the petstore, but I put him in his own cage when I brought him home, he sulked and looked unhappy, wouldn't touch pellets, fruits or veggies. Put him in with my budgies and he was MUCH happier and now eats anything. Almost every petstore I've been to there has been cockatiels housed with budgies, and they all seem to get along great, we have a cockatiel at work and it is housed with the budgies too. But I guess it just depends on the cockatiel(s). I think I've seen a Rosa Bourke in with the budgies and cockatiels at a petstore in Winnipeg, he was there both times I visited, he seemed happy.

:angry: Have had my rosey bourke for about 6 years now and she is so gentle and quiet, never bitten me or been a problem. She did become eggbound a couple of years ago and got her a few shots and she has since stopped laying. HOWEVER, she is short one toenail because she landed on the witch's cage and she bit if off and it has never regrown. So I would advise again Bourkes and Budgies, I guess it depends on the individual bird but I think Bourkes are just to gentle to compete with the average budgie. :angry: