Ranbows And Pied

Guest mattpaulmps

Guest mattpaulmps

hey, ive been breeding budgies for about 5 years now and have never been lucky enough to have a rainbow, are they very rear? can anyone tell me maybe what colours to breed with to get rainbows?

and also will 2 pied budgies breed pied young?

• Member ID:  198
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I can help you with your questions about pieds, but not so much the breeding of rainbow budgies. Two pied budgies bred together will get you some pied babies. :) Depending upon whether your pieds are single factor, double factor, dominant, or recessive will determine the percentages you get. For example, pairing two single factor dominant pieds will get you 50% single factor dominant pieds, 25% double factor dominant pieds, and 25% normals (non-pieds) over the breeding life of the pair. Do you have a pair of pieds you are thinking about breeding? Can you post a picture of them?

The official description of a rainbow is a yellowface opaline whitewing blue. The bird in my signature I call a rainbow pied, but he did not produce any young that resembled him when paired with a skyblue pied hen. Rainbows seem to be difficult to get, but there are people out there who regularly breed them. I've never bred a rainbow, but we do have some forum members who have bred them before. Hopefully one of them will see this thread and be able to help you with that part of your question.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

yellowface opaline whitewing blue

Now you have to understand what each bit acts :)

Yellowface is dominant over thew hite face gene and isn't sex linked so that's an easy part it can be on either the male or the hen.

Opaline is a sexlinked gene. To get young appearing in the first generation you need a opaline male, or a opaline hen matched with a split male.

Whitewing is the name for clearwing in the blue line. This is recessive, so to get any in the first generation you need either two split for birds or one spilt and one clearwing.

So a pairing like: Whitewing male slpit opaline with a yellowface opaline split whitewing hen has the chance to make a Rainbow.

• Member ID:  5,064
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,817
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Achievement Points:  39,375
  • Birthday:  20/02/1982

no worries about the pictures, we just love that is all :D

split means the bird carries the gene in it's dna but can't been seen on the bird.