• Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

I would move the soil away, i doubt it would be healthy. Better to be safe than sorry.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

welcome to the forum fwona. Is the soil from a houseplant or it it from outside. If it's from outside then it's a definate no no as there would be a great risk of disease and other factors. If it's from a houseplant then there could be risks, like chemicals that may by on the plant or in the soil or poisonous bits from the plants. Perhaps someone else may have some more ideas.

Guest pixie25

also there will probably be little bits of microscopic fungi in the soil too, aswell as possible chemicals. i would cover it or move it away from where he can get it.

:blink: Thank you all for your help and advise. unfortunetely little Val passed away earlier today. The vet thought that it was lead poisoning from the mirror in my bathroom. Ironic how things turn out. He was fine yesterday and then suddenly.... I guess that's what survival is for birds. They need to hide sickness. Poor little guy. We took tests so will find out exactly what it is. I'll keep in mind the soil though for the future.

thanks again.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

:) Sorry to here about your little birdy.

• Member ID:  1,464
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  599
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Achievement Points:  5,455

Oh that's so sad, sorry to hear your news. Perhaps your budgie was trying to get some minerals from the soil to counteract the lead?

Aw I've only just caught up with this topic so I am really sorry to hear about Val. FP may have a very good point there. Please let us know if you find anything out. Take Care.

Julie

I hadn't thought about the soil. That is a very good point. The vet said she would call on Monday to talk about the results. I'll ask her it and post what happens.

Thank you all for your support. It's soo quiet without him. Even my cats notice he's gone. Believe it or not he used to terrorise the cats. When they were sleeping he would fly onto the sofa and walk up to them chatting away and annoy them!! Cheeky thing! :(

Little Val died of lead poisoning. The vet thought that it was the mirror in the bathroom that he loved to sit on. He must have eaten some of the flecks of paint around it. It's hard not to feel guilty but I just didn't think at the time.

Thanks for your support.