New Birdies!

Guest Caren

I saw an ad in the trading post for budgies, and thought I'd enquire. The guy said he was selling them cheaply because he didn't like seeing broken eggs on the floor of his aviary, and he was going to sell these birds, then put in a few boxes. He said he didn't want to profit from the sale, he WAS going to take them to the pet shop, but they don't take care of their birds, and the budgies they already had were canary sized. Some of his birds are club rung, but he had a bird get an infection under the ring, so instead of waiting for the vet he cut the ring off. He promised to show me the bird, who has scars from it.

This guy obviously cares about his budgies.

Anyone want to tempt me to get more? Or am I already tempted enough?

• Member ID:  1,641
  • Group:  Site Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  15,350
  • Content Per Day:  2.22
  • Achievement Points:  99,335
  • Solved Content:  0
  • Days Won:  0

oh...it is so tempting but you know yourself best. Do you have the time to quarentine, take on any health problems that may arise, and behavioral issue or anything else that may rise? It really is all about you and your committment :D. So hard I know... You know you can do it but is it the right time? Your heart is talking...

oh...it is so tempting but you know yourself best. Do you have the time to quarentine, take on any health problems that may arise, and behavioral issue or anything else that may rise? It really is all about you and your committment :P. So hard I know... You know you can do it but is it the right time? Your heart is talking...

Well, I have time to quarentine one, health problems I can ask you guys about, then if I have to, I can run to the vet. My poor vet! I ran to him everytime one of my ratties sneezed! I was hopeless!

I can committ 24/7 to my birdies, as long as they let me feed my cat and rats, toilet breaks (CRACK!) and some time to sleep...

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I'd take a look at them before making up your mind. :hap:

OMG so many choices, I can't wait to see pictures of your new addition :fear

• Member ID:  1,582
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Achievement Points:  7,510
  • Birthday:  13/03/1977

:ausb: Heheee its T U E S D A Y tomorrow... I cant wait to hear about the lil fellow you pick out ;)

I didn't get any. :(

I knocked on the door for ages, I was very excited about picking my new birds. I was there for 1/2 an hour, then when the guy answered the door, I got screamed at ('You'll make my birds as disabled as you are!') and the door was slammed in my face.

:) I wish people would stop assuming stuff about me. :):D:angry:

That is downright disgusting! Words can't describe how I felt reading that! Which I'm sure is no where near how you felt. Ignore him Caren, just shows how narrowminded and insecure he feels. He is a classic example of what I try to teach my middle one - some people are 'nice disabled'

That is absolute horrid..I am so sorry. Don't let him get to you, he is the one with problems!

That is absolute horrid..I am so sorry. Don't let him get to you, he is the one with problems!

I've had that sort of thing happen to me too often, I'm getting used to it!

I'm not worried, he's not the only person in Melbourne I can get budgies off...He told me he's a member of a club I was considering joining...not anymore!

I'd be very tempted to write to the club, outlining exactly what a member did, and also explain the anti-discrimination laws.

'There but for the grace of God goes all of us'. A simple accident, and any of us could end with a disability in the blink of an eye

• Member ID:  1,592
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  817
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Achievement Points:  6,305

Sorry that you had to go through that.. what a poor excuse for a "human". I think you're probably better off without any birds from him if that's the sort of compassion and understanding he's shown. I'd feel bad for any living thing in this moron's care.

• Member ID:  198
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Achievement Points:  15,290
  • Birthday:  24/04/1965

I didn't get any. :(

I knocked on the door for ages, I was very excited about picking my new birds. I was there for 1/2 an hour, then when the guy answered the door, I got screamed at ('You'll make my birds as disabled as you are!') and the door was slammed in my face.

:P I wish people would stop assuming stuff about me. :):):angry:

I had to re-read that a few times...that is shocking. What is wrong with some people? I have no doubt you treated him with more respect than he deserved. I am sorry. You should never have to get used to rude behavior. What an a**.

Guest ClaireE

I can't believe someone would act like that! Ever!

Obviously you are a responsible pet owner, taking time to consider whether another pet would be right for you, and being prepared to take the time to look after it properly. He can't be much of a budgie owner himself, lacking compassion.

Some people just musn't get the nice gene!

I met a guy at the Dande Show. This time I know what he looks like, so he has no excuse to ignore me. He said he'd sell me a breeding pair of birds for $25.

I don't think he'd sell me budgies that are too old, or have just finished their breeding cycle and would be too old to breed again.

Do you think I should add a box as soon as I bring them home, or should I wait until quarentine's over?

I would wait until quarantine is over, then you will know the personalities of the birds. They will also trust you a bit, so you will be able to look in the box without causing major problems

I was more concerned about the new birds carrying something, then infecting the bubs who in turn infect my entire flock.

Thanks Lin. I think I will wait for quarentine to be over first.

• Member ID:  860
  • Topic Count:  400
  • Content Count:  4,240
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Achievement Points:  39,695
  • Birthday:  12/09/1989

That's good that you'll get some new birdies still. :blush: Can't wait to see what they look like.

• Member ID:  117
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  417
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Achievement Points:  4,380
  • Birthday:  15/06/1962

Counselling may help this sad excuse for a man Caren, he clearly has quite a severe disability himself in the upper levels.

Good luck in your search for new additions! Have you ever considered contacting the local (if there are any) rescues? Often they have lots of budgies and smaller birds in because people seem to only want the larger species when it comes to rescue. Just another avenue for you to consider.

Keep us informed how things go!

Anne

I'm going to get my new breeding pair of birds at 5pm tonight. I've also decided to buy a small cage to quarentine them in, I have no more spare cages!

I'll post pics as soon as I get them home. :D:P:P:P:D

:D How exciting!! Can't wait to see what they look like! Edited by Bea

Awesome!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/cazza03/newbirds.jpg

Again, I'm sorry if the picture's too dark, that's what comes of having a crappy camera!

The white one's the boy, the blue lacewing's the girl, she seems to be a bit crazy, she turns inside out, and is currently lying flat, hanging on the cage roof.

I was disgusted by the state of the cage when I picked them up. No tray, piles of bird doo on the floor of the cage, the water bowl was growing algae and the foodbowl had gone black. So, while waiting for the train, I scooped out piles of ****. When I got on the train, I used a discarded newspaper to cover the floor. I emptied the foodbowls at the first station (I opened the door and threw out stinky algae and black water) but they had to wait until we got home for the bowls to be cleaned and refilled.

Tomorrow, I'll replace the plastic perch with a branch and put some wheatgrass in there. Would strung together plastic jar lids be a good toy? It looks very boring in there...

So did they come in those gross conditions? :( Poor things, glad they're with you now. I think anything would make a better toy than nothing and string together plastic jar lids is very creative. :) From what i can see they are very cute budgies, can you get a picture tomorrow when it's lighter? Pleeease. :)